• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    i use 10w30 on my llama 45.it is messy.only way it shoots.it is a conversation starter at atterbury.i dont advise it though.it was my uncles gun or it would be in the river.i like rem oil.seems thinner than some.dont work on the llama though

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have never understood why so many guys use brake cleaner on guns. I mean I understand that it cuts crud and fouling really well but why would a person want to use something that strips all the oil and corrosion protection and leaves bare steel? I have always used CLP and an M 16 brush and compressed air for every gun I own and can't see the need for a degreaser.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    When we had a weapons inspection in the Marines we took our M16 in the shower with us. Gun Scrubber, Hot water and CLP after the inspection.

Now days mostly hoppes #9 and CLP sometimes I use Gun Scruber when I shoot dirty ammo.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Hmm..sounds like the general consensious is Hoppes #9 for my .22 plinkster and CLP for my hanguns and other guns that I shoot FMJ out of. I didn't see anything Perhaps I missed it, but does CLP work on copper fouling as well or will I need something else for that?

Greg

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    Hmm..sounds like the general consensious is Hoppes #9 for my .22 plinkster and CLP for my hanguns and other guns that I shoot FMJ out of. I didn't see anything Perhaps I missed it, but does CLP work on copper fouling as well or will I need something else for that?

Greg

I've got a separate ammonia-based solvent for copper.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I'm a big fan of essentially soap and water. When I was getting started I picked up a couple of the AGI videos on the guns I had and started using their method: tear down, dowse with a biodegradable spray soap (Simple Green is what they used in the videos and what I've been using), a toothbrush for any stubborn deposits, rinse, dry, spray with Break Free.

To that, I've added my own bore cleaning procedure. When dowsing with the soap I'll usually spray the Simple Green down the bore and let it soak for a bit, then run a couple of patches through before the rinse/dry phases. Then once it's dry, I'll clean the bore with Hoppes #9 or Hoppes Benchrest depending on what I'd been shooting. And then spray with break free to lube.

tsmysak1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Don't mean to be the dissenter, but here is something that you might try if you can still get it....

Montana Extreme is excellent for copper fouling, but a lot of people complain about the strong smell. The high concentration of ammonia is why it works well. This is the only thing that I have found that breaks up severe copper fouling, especially if a rifle no longer will group or is causing jacket damage.

It will not, however, remove carbon fouling. I have had to find something else that takes out that layer, which some of the other traditional solvents will work fine. You have to alternate to get it all out sometime.

For gun oil, I like G96. Mostly because of the nice smell, but seriously, it has RP (rust preventative) in the formula. WD40 displaces moisture, but is not an RP. I have seen both RemOil and WD40 not work to prevent rust. I think Breakfree works well, but G96 smells much better IMO.:)

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I use a lot of surplus ammo and I like the original Rifle Bore Cleaner, better known as RBC. I bought an entire case of the white stuff when I had the chance.

I also use Sweets 7.62 Solvent.

If you are interested here is a guy who did a lot of methodical research as to what works best depending on what you are cleaning out:

Gun Cleaning Product Tests

Doug

Top Bottom