CIVIL RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION: The "Science -vs- Religion" debate...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Guys, that is why I put that portion of the title in quotes. I am trying to continue the existing conversation, nothing more.

Shall I dim the lights? It seems like it may be getting close to nap time in here for some...

I just got in from building fence. That nap sounds good about now!

I think a lot of the discussion in the other thread also dealt with how Science and Religion co-exist, and how they aren't necessarily rivaling concepts.

Don't be so hard on Paul. Sometimes when putting something into a phrase, you just go with what comes to mind. I don't believe he meant to imply any hostility, just ran with the thought that came to mind to put a thought into the compact phrase necessary for a thread title.

A topic about religion being started and moderated by an atheist just seems a little odd to me. It'll make for good popcorn weather.

That it could, but the important thing is that Paul is a fair and open minded person who harbors no angst against believers in any religion save perhaps those individuals who have been jerks to him about it. While I can understand the sense of incongruity, I am satisfied that he will do a fine job by virtue of being a fair person.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    That's a horrible comparison to be honest. pharmacology and Greek mythology are entirely unrelated and thus have no basis for compatibility.

I don't know about that. Pharmacology would take in being high on drugs which could facilitate belief in Greek mythology from someone who would otherwise be disinclined. :):

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    That's a horrible comparison to be honest. pharmacology and Greek mythology are entirely unrelated and thus have no basis for compatibility.
    Exactly, religion and science have no comparability either. Look, we are all free to believe what we want and that is cool, however, we are trying to force a square peg into a round hole when we try combining the two.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I don't know about that. Pharmacology would take in being high on drugs which could facilitate belief in Greek mythology from someone who would otherwise be disinclined. :):

Valid lol

Exactly, religion and science have no comparability either. Look, we are all free to believe what we want and that is cool, however, we are trying to force a square peg into a round hole when we try combining the two.

I disagree. I believe any religious person would welcome science as the study of God's creation, and I would think any scientist would gladly study creation to either prove or disprove God's existence. They are related

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    With apologies to Kyle in The Terminator "Listen, and understand. That religion vs science argument is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead."

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Hmm not sure this discussion is going anywhere really. Everyone has there own opinion. Nothing has been proven either way.

I personally am an atheist. I used to think I believed in God, but then I was persuaded otherwise by things that made more sense to me.

Thats pretty much everyone's take on whether or not they believe right?

I guess I'll sit back and see where this goes.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I'm just going to leave this here

[video=youtube;AekFGksvuDU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AekFGksvuDU[/video]

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I disagree. I believe any religious person would welcome science as the study of God's creation, and I would think any scientist would gladly study creation to either prove or disprove God's existence. They are related

If God is the author of all creation, which I believe he is, then true science is indeed compatible with religion.

God gave man tools to discover, quantify, analyze, understand his creation. The various sciences help us understand the world in a physical sense. They have their rightful place. If man's ability to think has its origin in God, then science has its origin in God as well.

What science can not do for man is help him to come to a deeper understanding of the spiritual realm - that is the real of religion and theology. True science will not contradict the spiritual, as both share a common origin and a common author.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Hmm not sure this discussion is going anywhere really. Everyone has there own opinion. Nothing has been proven either way.

I personally am an atheist. I used to think I believed in God, but then I was persuaded otherwise by things that made more sense to me.

Thats pretty much everyone's take on whether or not they believe right?

I guess I'll sit back and see where this goes.

I would say that it is going somewhere. Up to this point, for the most part, our personal beliefs have been hidden while we have become known to each other in most other regards. My hope and belief is that having a great deal of disclosure prior to revelation of each other's beliefs will help to demonstrate the validity of the sentiment best expressed by Jefferson who said (as best I remember the quote) that whether another man believes in one god, many gods, or no god neither picks my pockets nor breaks my limbs.

I certainly hope that this open discussion of religion leads not only to treatment of current events which affect us in full honesty, but also to a better understanding of each other such as to overcome the mistrust of people who are different but not true threats which is inherent to human nature.

As you might discern, I would be happy to see you come to faith. I am not going to badger you, belittle you, or think less of you because you do not. I see this as the foundation for the strength we need in our society which has suffered greatly from the politics of division personally, locally, regionally, and nationally. From what you have said, I feel comfortable in the understanding that our positions on the matter are compatible.

deal me in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Avon
    Science and religion are definitely related. Historically, religion tried unsuccessfully to answer questions about our origins that are better handled by science. Religion didn't want to cede that territory to science, so there was and still is conflict.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Science and religion are definitely related. Historically, religion tried unsuccessfully to answer questions about our origins that are better handled by science. Religion didn't want to cede that territory to science, so there was and still is conflict.
    And sometimes the flip side of the coin is also true, even when science and religion actually DO agree, the facts are slow to be accepted and slow to turn the tide of politics:
    koop_zpsfvuuc4ko.jpg

Last edited:

beehunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    I consider myself a Christian and I do my best to live it but I can tell you from following similar threads on other forums its just going to lead to hard feelings on both sides. just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom