• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I was just reading that on a facebook link. They're saying there's an old city ordinance in Fort Wayne that's still in place that does not allow carrying a gun in a city park and that conflicts with current state law that was passed in 2011 stating the opposite. So if that's the case, wouldn't the city ordinance not hold up in the court of law if they tried to enforce it?

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    This is horrible "journalism" with reporters not knowing the law that already exists. I've been writing them all because they're now causing people to believe it's illegal.

foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    I also saw that on the news last night.. open carry event anyone.??. wonder if there could be a big payday for someone like a similar event at the Evansville zoo a few years back..?? And per the news it sounds like the city knows the ordinance has been made void by state law but still chooses to write citations.. genius...

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Unless I am mistaken Hammond has refused to remove their anti-gun city ordinances. There was a Republican city councilwoman that brought it up a couple of times and was voted down. I believe their attorney was of the opinion that as long as they do not enforce them they don't incur jeopardy.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    According to a judge in a case against the city of Hammond for pretty much the same issue the ruling stated that the outdated laws were perfectly fine to remain on the books as long as no attempt was made to enforce them.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    According to a judge in a case against the city of Hammond for pretty much the same issue the ruling stated that the outdated laws were perfectly fine to remain on the books as long as no attempt was made to enforce them.

I think they (cities) want to leave them there so that people who don't know better will abide by the non-law.

A law suit by a victim who didn't carry because of the non-law might be viable.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

Ruling, makes ZERO sense.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I think they (cities) want to leave them there so that people who don't know better will abide by the non-law.

A law suit by a victim who didn't carry because of the non-law might be viable.
    I think you're exactly right with your reasoning. Especially with those dirtbags that run Hammond.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Fail all around.

WANE's Angela Robinson should do her job and do some fact checking.

Councilman Arp should be honest about the ordinance - it's dead, unenforced, unenforceable ordinance. It sounds like he's using this as an opportunity to score points with local conservatives not smart enough to figure out reality.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Councilman Arp should be honest about the ordinance - it's dead, unenforced, unenforceable ordinance. It sounds like he's using this as an opportunity to score points with local conservatives not smart enough to figure out reality.

I know the first commenter on the Book of Faces page and she is pretty well informed on local politics. She said the same thing.

The comments are entertaining. My other observation is the TV station and the Newspaper posted the story on Facebook about the same time. 60 comments on the TV's post only 4 comments on the newspaper's post. Pretty indicative of the continued death spiral of newspapers.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    He also said this on Oct 10th

"My wife is licensed to carry a firearm. I would prefer she have the ability to defend herself and our children if the need arose. The only way for most women to defend themselves against an assailant twice their size is with a handgun. Our ordinance currently forbids women from defending themselves or their children in city parks." - Jason Arp

Does he not understand it is already legal? I'm all for it but he sounds like he has no idea that it's already legal, which is asinine.

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Unless I am mistaken Hammond has refused to remove their anti-gun city ordinances. There was a Republican city councilwoman that brought it up a couple of times and was voted down. I believe their attorney was of the opinion that as long as they do not enforce them they don't incur jeopardy.

Same situation exists in Highland along the bike paths, I posted a picture of one of the signs in a different post, one of the many rules posted on the sign is a "No Firearms" rule. I have OC'd on the bicycle on the Highland bike paths many times. I have crossed paths with a squad car a couple of times without being stopped.

Are the signs in Hammond still up?

Can't speak to the Hammond signs, but the ones in Highland are still there.

Top Bottom