• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ahgo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    New Haven, Indiana
    For $300 I'd get the 40 caliber. I like Taurus and have a 145. Yes I've done some work with the sights, but it's a great gun for the money and the caliber. More stopping power.

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    jubba and ahgo. have you ever had the reliability issues people talk about. i am leaning more towrds the taurus every day i wasnt able to shoot it today like i planned hopefully by the end of the weekend though.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    jubba and ahgo. have you ever had the reliability issues people talk about. i am leaning more towrds the taurus every day i wasnt able to shoot it today like i planned hopefully by the end of the weekend though.

I had a PT145 Millenium Pro. Only issues I had with it occurred at one of ACT's Instructional League matches, with bunch of folks watching.

Tried to insert a flashlight instead of a magazine. Gun wouldn't feed well.

Didn't seat a magazine all the way after the flashlight incident. Gun still wouldn't feed well.

Had a magazine that kept sticking, and wouldn't drop free... a first time occurrence for the gun. I'd just cleaned the mag that morning. Got home after the match, disassembled the mag, and realized that I'd reassembled it incorectly that morning. I'd managed to pinch the bottom coil of the spring under the floorplate, which bent the spring and caused the mag to bulge a little. Surprisingly, the mag actually fed fine.

IOW, the only real issues with the gun were all ID 10 T errors.

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART

I've had a grand total of 0 problems with mine. I've ran several brands of ammo through it including some HP reloads I bought at the Muncie gun show. I have a couple other Taurus guns and have not had any porblems with them either. I don't doubt others have had some issues as you will always find issues with any type of mechanical device. Good luck with whatever you purchase and enjoy it.:D

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Carry Preferences

Personally I've always adhered to the point of "Carry the largest caliber you can afford."

I hear everyone chattering about "small enough to carry" and I just can't get on board with sacrificing power for "comfort". Maybe it's because I've got a large frame for my size but I easily conditioned myself to CC my G22 and when I have to work overnight shifts for maintenance that I can't do remotely, I carry a full size colt 1911 in it's place (the G22 stays with wifey @ home during the night) with no issues.

I've even considered carrying both simultaneously if I could get a shoulder rig that I like the conceal-ability of. But then again, I'm a pretty stocky fellow and don't mind an extra few pounds hanging off/around me.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That's a tough choice; I can think of quite a few reason to pass on both. But, if you are determined to make it, keep a few things in mind. It is very difficult to find .380 ammunition, when you do you pay a premium, and in my opinion, it is an not a good SD caliber.

If you are a new shooter, a .40 would not be the best first choice; especially a Taurus. However, if you go that way, you will find ammunition.

You are allowing a particular offer, two completely different pistols, to shape what you buy. I suggest it might be better to buy whatever makes the most sense for you. A few folks have mentioned some very good alternatives. I think you should go shopping and look at them.

ccochran3

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Clinton
    I would strongly suggest the pk380. The 380 with good PP ammo will be sufficient self defense protection. Better value, better brand.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I would strongly suggest the pk380. The 380 with good PP ammo will be sufficient self defense protection. Better value, better brand.
    My dad has the PK380, it is a very nice, sure functioning, fun to shoot pistol. And even though the 380 will do alright, and it's better than nothing, I personally would want to carry a 9mm or bigger.

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Detroit
    I would take the walther over a taurus any day.....

JMHO Taurus makes junk semi-auto's there revolvers are difinatly a great starter wheel gun but steer clear of there semi models.....

DT

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    I don't have any experience with the taurus, but my dad has the PK .380 and he loves it. I think he has ~500 or so rnds through it with no trouble. It's handled FMJ's and JHP's just fine. I don't have much experience with taurus and I have heard mixed reviews on their craftsmanship but I have a buddy that swears by them. I personally carry a glock 26 or a ruger lcp. Whatever you get, enjoy it and practice! :twocents:

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    i am in need of a carry gun, my buddy is going to sell me one of his for 300 bucks. i have the choice of a walther pk380 or a taurus pt140 millenium pro. they both feel good in my hand. i just want some other peoples opinions on which would be better

The most important part of your choice is whether you can hit what you shoot at. You will get arguments going in infinite directions regarding choice of weapon and caliber. You buy the best gun you can with the money you have available and you try the gun first. You must be able to hit your target or your weapon may as well be a rock to throw.

I have gotten caught up in the "which caliber is best" argument in the past. It's all mostly bs. In fact I don't carry my .40 at all because I cannot consistently hit my target spot in practice. I can with my .9mm so that is what I carry every day.

I say these things in a spirit of humility and hopefully to help you make a right choice.

Top Bottom