• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    i am in need of a carry gun, my buddy is going to sell me one of his for 300 bucks. i have the choice of a walther pk380 or a taurus pt140 millenium pro. they both feel good in my hand. i just want some other peoples opinions on which would be better

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    lol yea i heard the early taurus ones had issues....lots of issues. but my uncle has one and hasnt had any his is second generation mill i think.

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    i do like the size and feel...and caliber of the taurus the only thing i am worried about it reliability.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Try both and see which you like best, better yet try as manner different guns as you can and find one you like. You can go the rental route at ranges or attend one of the many INGO meet and shoot events that happen, most folks are more than happy to let you try their guns.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    better a 380 he can shoot well than a 40 he can't. Even with a good instructor ( not a buddy who thinks he can shoot) a 40 is a tough starting gun and it sounds as if thoffman may not have a lot of experience with handguns. If he does then the 40 might be fine but again not everyone can shoot a particular gun well.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The best value for the money lies in the walther pk380 at the price listed.

A gun you carry is worth more than a gun you don't or can't because it is to big/uncomfortable. The keltek 380 is a fine example. Light weight small and pocket size.
    Loaded with hornaday critical defense ammo I would not be to concerned about trusting it to do the job in a typical non LEO situation.

As far a what I carry I have many options. I am a revolver guy mainly. If I know I am going into a high crime area and can conceal about anything then I take the Glock in 45 with 3 loaded clips. I also have a raven 25 acp which is better than throwing stones. As you gather up a small collection you can get a different gun for different situations.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    It's your buddy, you two go shoot, which ever one you shoot better and is more reliable in your hands, go with that one! Every gun functions diffently in different hands, what's reliable for one doesn't make it reliable for another!
    You have a very good friend by the way!

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    yea he's a good friend lol. and yes i have some experience shooting the .40. but not alot. i planned on shooting both this weekend and seeing which one i like best. i would trust .380 with the right ammunition but a .40 would be nice.

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Check to make sure you can get spare mags and holsters for both. Last I heard, spare mags were all but impossible to come by for the PK380. It also requires a key to field strip, so if you go this route, buy some spares from Walther or you may find yourself scarring up your gun with a pair of needle nose pliars to get it apart.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    . . . It also requires a key to field strip . . .

Yup, it does. Bad 'feature' for a real gun imho. A defensive handgun should field strip with no tools. A key? :noway:

Furthermore, the PK380 is a rather large, 'full-size' 380 (6.2" L x 5.2" H x 1.2" W, 19.4 oz, 8+1). There are better options in that size envelope in more potent calibers. For example, a Glock 19 is very close in size (.64" longer x 0.2" shorter, 0.02" thinner, only 1.59 oz heavier), and carries 7 more rounds in a more potent and cheaper caliber. A Kahr CW9 is a tad smaller in every dimension and lighter. Etc, etc. The large 380's make little sense to me these days with the alternatives available, unless someone is unusually recoil sensitive for some reason. They're pleasant shooters, but there are more effective alternatives on which to bet your life.

Frankly, I'd pass on both, save an extra $100 or so, and get a more suitable defensive handgun. I'm not comfortable w/380 in a primary handgun, and my experience w/Taurus autos has been less than satisfactory.

The 40 is the better defensive caliber, hands down.

Bud's lists the PK140 from $339-$350 and the PK380 at $357, btw.

gabylan007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    weight and size should be your 1st priority, comfort is an important issue when you carry all day and more important the caliber, or better know as the stopping power.
    You want a carry piece thats comfortable, concealable, but that can deliver the force required to stop an attacker with just a couple of rounds.
    Most carry weapons are small and dont have that many rounds, thats why its important to have the right caliber.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I agree with seeing if your buddy will let you shot both. Then decide which is better for you. A .380 will do the job, with proper shot placement. Better to carry a smaller caliber that you can control, then a larger one that you can not hit **** with. Caliber size only goes so far!

Top Bottom