• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Why indeed? Read the best bcg thread then don't buy any of those.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    blackwood arms has a pretty decent bcg. they make a lot of milspec stuff for some big companies. They are pretty slick. you can buy 2 of them for 160 or 85 for a single. Me personally I run mostly BCM bcg's and consider them to be among the best but I have a blackwood and it's quality

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Cheapest I'd consider is a PSA premium, Aim, or Toolcraft.....with emphasis on the Toolcraft.

But honestly, I'd save up and extra $30-50 for a BCM/DD/LMT/Noveske/Sionics/Colt.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I have a few of the AIM nitride BCGs and they have all been 100% one of which resides in my primary Run-N-Gun carbine that's pushing 6k rds of flawless service. Wouldn't be afraid at all at getting another one.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you go with the absolute cheapest carrier, make sure you retorque and re-stake the gas key. I've seen several where you could loosen by hand and there were little to no staking marks. I'd also keep another bolt on hand for if / when the extractor snaps. (I've seen that happen several times too).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you go with the absolute cheapest carrier, make sure you retorque and re-stake the gas key. I've seen several where you could loosen by hand and there were little to no staking marks. I'd also keep another bolt on hand for if / when the extractor snaps. (I've seen that happen several times too).

"Cheap" is not always the best way to go.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

"Cheap" is not always the best way to go.

I couldn't agree more.

Last week (the night before a 2-gun match) I pulled the bolt carrier assembly from my rifle to lube it. I was shocked to find the gas key was all wiggly! ARGH!

It looked like it was staked properly and it has fired unknown thousands of rounds in two different uppers since 1999. I will retorque and restake when I have the opportunity.

In the meantime, I realized I didn't have a spare, which everyone should have. Pulling one from another rifle should be a last-ditch measure. So I looked at prices online and considered some that were cheap, some that were mid-priced, and some that were kinda spendy.

After I considered trying to save a few dollars, I snapped out of it and ordered a BCM. Over the years of service it will provide, I won't miss the extra $50-70 over a cheaper unit, and I know what I'm getting.

thomasred5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 15, 2016
    Central Indiana
    +1 for AIM. I've tried their melonite/nitride treated, nickel boron and standard phosphate, all good quality, never an issue with headspace. WMD puts a cerakote topcoat over the top of exo coated BCG's, those are fine bolts, spendy, but nice.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    As long as you're willing to roll the dice on whether their BCG actually works?

I have a PSA nickel-boron on the way and hope it's one of the ones that works. It's the first PSA, BCG that I have purchased and I thought they were supposed to be one of the better ones for the price. We will see I guess.

Top Bottom