• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigdee06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I just recieved this email special. I would hate to think that anyone would even consider this as a option. I will admit its better than nothing but not by much and I can just imagine the quality of the contents of these "premium" kits. I have used CTD in the past and am always amused by the "deals" they continue to send me. What do you think, how would you spend the $15 they want for this on something for your kit?

picture.php

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would say its not even worth $5 from what I see.
    For CTD "premium" means you get most of the stuff you see on the picture when you order a product.
    $15 is not even half of what I would spend for the cheapest knife I would be confortable adding to my survival kit.
    I guess during winter you could still use the bottle to pee in it to keep your toes warm, that's about all you can do with this kit.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think Cheaper Than Dirt is one of the sleaziest companies out there and they have a history of jacking up prices and screwing customers. When their catalogs come in the mail I toss them in the trash.

It depends what you get from them.
    I bought lots of stuff including ammo, gun magazines and gear without any problem over the years.
    They had good pricing on the things I bought and they deliver really fast.
    Yeah I seen some bad reviews on some of their products but its mainly things they put together themselfs like those kits where the content can change from what you see on their pictures and things missing.

Hotwired

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    I dont blame him, I ordered parts from them once and what I got was missing several pieces, I reread the ad and saw the disclaimer. I felt like I was bamboozled but its buyer beware.

Hoosier49er

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2011
    Looks like cheap Cr@ppola to me. I wouldn't waste my money on it. Even the water bottle looks a little on the cheesy side. Most of the items in it are worthless... CTD does have a reputation for sticking to people. I've been had by them in the past myself. I got some bad stuff, they gave me in-store credit. When I tried to use the credit, they claimed I didn't have it. I will NEVER buy from them again. :twocents:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    This brings up an interesting question and not to thread jack the OP.. but..

How many do buy things like this? Packaged "kits" or what have you?

I honestly have only bought first aid kits and then end up adding or changing or whatever contents.

Oh wait, I have bought MRE's so thats a meal kit but like most I know of they get stripped down before they get put in a bag.

Bigdee06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I guess i'm more of a roll your own guy. When you put your kit together one piece at a time you get exactly what you want and nothing you dont need. But then again I change my oil and work on my house too, so I kind of like doing things for myself. I have yet to see a pre-packaged setup that looks like it would be comprehensive enough to jusitfy the inflated prices that they usually want for them.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    You don't get what you pay for[always] sometimes you get less...I like the catalog
    as much for ideas as stuff....the bottle idea's fine,roll your own!!!

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Anybody check CTD's the shipping costs lately? They raised them to an outragous point when the fuel prices spiked a few weeks ago. $15 dollar item, $11.87 to ship it so your bottle actually costs $26.87.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    it's not even Cheaper Than Dirt though. cabelas has these, wamart has these, lots of places do. with all these different survival shows on TV now the interest and marketing for things like this are through the roof.
    any real outdoorsman knows the best way is to build your own kit so you get what you want and you know how to use it all, but these are aimed at people who watch these shows and want to go camping in theyre backyards for a weekend and start their own little fire with just a sparking rod and dry tinder because they think since the TV did it they can too.

I don't blame Cheaper Than Dirt for this at all. Other than shipping cost i have never had any problems with anything I have bought from them, and even shipping i don't mind because I only buy enough at one time to make it worth it. and trust me i have bought alot from them, on top of that I always price compare things in local stores and other online sites before I buy from them. but to each his own i suppose.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    It depends what you get from them.
    I bought lots of stuff including ammo, gun magazines and gear without any problem over the years.
    They had good pricing on the things I bought and they deliver really fast.
    Yeah I seen some bad reviews on some of their products but its mainly things they put together themselfs like those kits where the content can change from what you see on their pictures and things missing.

melensdad has a vendetta because of CTD's price gouging of pmags after the election.

Looks like cheap Cr@ppola to me. I wouldn't waste my money on it. Even the water bottle looks a little on the cheesy side. Most of the items in it are worthless... CTD does have a reputation for sticking to people. I've been had by them in the past myself. I got some bad stuff, they gave me in-store credit. When I tried to use the credit, they claimed I didn't have it. I will NEVER buy from them again. :twocents:
    CTD was such an obvious price gouger that they really set themselves apart as the 'lowest of the low' both before and after the election when people were in a buying frenzy.

There were many examples of their over-inflated prices and crappy business practices. Many here on INGO made reports of the crap that CTD was doing.

As for their product offerings, their catalog is full of cheap chinese knock-off crap with a few good brands mixed in. There are plenty of good sources to buy from that won't screw you, no need to support people who stab you in the back.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The kit shown looks pretty cheap. I do like the idea of building a small get home type kit and putting it in a quality water bottle. Bottle, few water purification tablets, disposible poncho, energy/gronola/food bars, disposible lighter. I carry other things I might need in my pockets or in my vehicles.

Yes there are a lot of cheap kits out there, but give some credit. People see these on the shelf and it gets them thinking. I am in the process of building an emergency bag. My wife used to fight me on this idea. Now that she sees pre-assembled kits and talk about this concept from places like the CDC, FEMA & the Red Cross she does not consider me to be a crazy person.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I think you all may be missing the point. The kit isn't for folks like us; it's for folks like the ones who get on a forum like this and say: "what do I need and how do I start?" THAT's the target market. I will tell you that I have about 6 of these "survival kit in a bottle" kits stashed in various places because, although they're cheap and cheesy, they're better than nothing to use in a situation where you're separated from your "good stuff".

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    CTD was such an obvious price gouger that they really set themselves apart as the 'lowest of the low' both before and after the election when people were in a buying frenzy.

There were many examples of their over-inflated prices and crappy business practices. Many here on INGO made reports of the crap that CTD was doing.

As for their product offerings, their catalog is full of cheap chinese knock-off crap with a few good brands mixed in. There are plenty of good sources to buy from that won't screw you, no need to support people who stab you in the back.

:+1: And repped! You definitely said it here, CTD doesn't deserve your money with their business "tactics." Too many options in this day and age to put up with the stuff these jokers pull.

Top Bottom