• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I am looking for a lightweight, easy to carry stainless revolver. Something that is dependable in a WTF situation. Not a range gun or target peice and .357 is my self defense caliber of choice. Any info or opinions (and Lord knows we're opinion rich here) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Steve

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I own a Charter .44 Special Bull Pug and have been really pleased with it. The quality of other CA guns I've shot have also been good. No-one I know who has one has any complaints, either. They're solid revolvers and good quality in my book. I'd certainly have no compunctions on buying another one in the future. Add in the fact that their new line looks pretty good and I'd say they make a good choice in a carry piece.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    My opinion would be for a Ruger SP101, not really a "light" gun, but not that heavy either.

I will say that my brother has a Charter Arms Pug .44 spl also and it is a nice gun, but I still gotta go with the Ruger (I had one and it was great).

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My opinion would be for a Ruger SP101, not really a "light" gun, but not that heavy either.

I will say that my brother has a Charter Arms Pug .44 spl also and it is a nice gun, but I still gotta go with the Ruger (I had one and it was great).

I've gotta go along with this :D

The 2 1/4" SP101 only weighs 3 ounces more than the Charter .357 Mag Pug, and I don't think you'll find a tougher built compact .357.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Maybe I should start a new thread but... What about CA's 327 Federal? Anybody have experience with it? Can't find one in anything but Taurus, and it didn't feel right in my hand.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    44 Buldog

I own a Charter .44 Special Bull Pug and have been really pleased with it. The quality of other CA guns I've shot have also been good. No-one I know who has one has any complaints, either. They're solid revolvers and good quality in my book. I'd certainly have no compunctions on buying another one in the future. Add in the fact that their new line looks pretty good and I'd say they make a good choice in a carry piece.
    If you don't mind me asking...what did you pay for it?
    There is a shop around here that wants $389.00

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I got it as part of a trade, didn't pay any hard money for it. A quick look at Gunbroker shows one for $400 and a couple of longer barreled ones for under $300. The Pugs aren't as common as the others, I guess so that might account for the higher price. I'd certainly consider it. Mine's a nice pocket gun. A bit rough on the hand after a few dozen rounds at the range, but new grips would solve that. I just kept the originals, I like them well enough.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I am considering that....but also I am considering a Taurus 450 in 45LC. or possibly a Taurus 44 tracker.
    Getting back to the original question in this thread the .357 in my opinion would be a good self defense choice. I would probably carry it loaded with .38spl+p

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    a buddy of mine bought one new from a dealer. we went straight home and started shooting it. before we got done with the first cylinder the barrel blew off and came closer to hitting the target than the bullets were and that is with factory ammo.

BEWARE

racdrof

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    I have to agree with mrjarrell. I have a .44 spl. bull pug and I'am very pleased with it. Small, easy to hide and accurate at 25 yds. Can't complain about them.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Between the small revolvers, either the Smith J frame or the Ruger SP 101 are good choices. The Ruger can be chambered in the .327 Federal, my personal opinion is that if you get one of these little guys in .357, shoot .38 Spl in it. That .357 round being touched off will cause your hands and wrists to bark at you.

However, as with all other things, you pay your money and take your choice.

Top Bottom