• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I always carry one chambered in my Sig. I will say though I recently picked up two 1911's, one in 9mm the other in .45, and I'm still a bit nervous about cocked and locked. I've been carrying for 24 years, I guess its just something I have to get used to.

Once you delve into the inner workings of a 1911, you'll feel much better. If you have the series 80 safety, there is a bunch of stuff that must happen before the firing pin even comes close to the primer.

Warsaw214

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Warsaw
    What story would we be reading in the news if the Texas DA was carrying at all times and chambered. There is no Mulligans or Do Overs... carry chambered for the Evil you can't anticipate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My SD9 has no safety so carrying chambered IWB presents a risk I am not willing to take. I have practiced my draw'n'chamber from IWB and I'm confident enough with my speed.

I would consider carrying chambered if ever going into a situation where there would be a high chance of drawing my weapon. Alas the life of a college student is pretty mundane. If my next gun has a safety I would carry chambered most likely.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    My SD9 has no safety so carrying chambered IWB presents a risk I am not willing to take. I have practiced my draw'n'chamber from IWB and I'm confident enough with my speed.

I would consider carrying chambered if ever going into a situation where there would be a high chance of drawing my weapon. Alas the life of a college student is pretty mundane. If my next gun has a safety I would carry chambered most likely.

It has a safety. It's between your ears. A firearm in a proper holster is a safe firearm, they don't go bang unless you pull the trigger (or rarely in loading and unloading due to mechanical failure). Your gun has no safety because it's design doesn't require one, not because it's meant to be carried with an empty chamber.

It's good that your practice with it, but racking a slide when your support arm is disabled is more problematic not to mention a mechanical failure trying to get a round in the chamber.

In the end, if your attacker already has one chambered and you do not, you are adding a greater disadvantage to the one you already start with.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    We see these threads all the time, and I just can't understand the logic of NOT carrying a round chambered. If you feel the need to carry, which I wish more people would, why would you hamper yourself with having to chamber a round? :dunno:

Maybe you would feel safer having a trigger lock on your carry piece and the keys in the safe at home??? :n00b:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

Your SD 9 probably has at least TWO safeties + the one between your ears.

don't mistake a lack of an external thumb safety with the gun not having ANY safeties.

Also - on your practicing drawing & wracking a round: What if you don't have both hands in order to accomplish this? Groceries, significan other, injury, kids, attack from behind/other zone which you can't see coming...etc etc etc. In life, there are NO guarantees. You cannot guarantee that you'll have both hands free and the time required to chamber a round.

Get a quality holster, carry around a "cocked" and wholly unloaded gun around your house. Examine the gun often to see if it's become "uncocked" while in that quality holster. It won't happen.

Load up your gun, charge one into the chamber, holster gun, go on about life.

-J-

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Some of you folks are over analyzing things.

I commend you for wanting to carry a firearm and being a part of this forum...
    But the common sense and logic stops at the front door of INGO when you think carrying a gun chambered is too dangerous.

Don't get me wrong; how you carry won't impact me much like you wearing a seat belt for MY safety would help me...
    But what everyone in this thread is trying to say is, get comfortable carrying your firearm CHAMBERED and understand
    that there are generally multiple safeties built in the gun that won't allow it to just go off.

Hear us out............... Keep your booger finger off the trigger and there will never be a kaboom.

thabombsquad

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Logansport
    I always carry a round chambered. One less thing to worry about should the need arise. But when I first started carrying I was a little timid. But now it's just second nature.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    I am not new to guns in any way at all but my new pistol is a M&P9 and the lack of a safety other than the trigger safety makes me a tad nervous only because i have kids. My kids know that it is not a toy and should not be touched unless we are at a range or actively shooting but i know curiosity can sometimes outweigh good teachings. I am open to critique on my thoughts here and always open for new thoughts.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I am not new to guns in any way at all but my new pistol is a M&P9 and the lack of a safety other than the trigger safety makes me a tad nervous only because i have kids. My kids know that it is not a toy and should not be touched unless we are at a range or actively shooting but i know curiosity can sometimes outweigh good teachings. I am open to critique on my thoughts here and always open for new thoughts.

I, like you, have an M&P as well.

I think most people here are speaking primarily for when you're carrying.
    When you're at home and the kids are around, I would certainly hope it's out of reach or locked up from your little ones.
    If you carry it in a properly designed holster, then you should have one in the chamber.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I never "unchamber" my pistols except to clean them (or firing). All of that jacking rounds in and out is where bad things can happen. Plus I never need to "sneak a peek" to see if I have a round chambered, possibly leaving it slightly out of battery.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    We see these threads all the time, and I just can't understand the logic of NOT carrying a round chambered. If you feel the need to carry, which I wish more people would, why would you hamper yourself with having to chamber a round? :dunno:

Maybe you would feel safer having a trigger lock on your carry piece and the keys in the safe at home??? :n00b:

Your SD 9 probably has at least TWO safeties + the one between your ears.

don't mistake a lack of an external thumb safety with the gun not having ANY safeties.

Also - on your practicing drawing & wracking a round: What if you don't have both hands in order to accomplish this? Groceries, significan other, injury, kids, attack from behind/other zone which you can't see coming...etc etc etc. In life, there are NO guarantees. You cannot guarantee that you'll have both hands free and the time required to chamber a round.

Get a quality holster, carry around a "cocked" and wholly unloaded gun around your house. Examine the gun often to see if it's become "uncocked" while in that quality holster. It won't happen.

Load up your gun, charge one into the chamber, holster gun, go on about life.

-J-
    Good points. My Uncle Mike's IWB holster probably would never cause the gun to discharge--I just need to be more comfortable with the idea of a chambered round against my hip 24/7.

I should be better prepared in the event of a threat. I think I've convinced myself that simply carrying a handgun will give me the edge.

Has anyone ever felt that a round in the chamber was ever a safety threat to you or those around you? Maybe I'm just paranoid...

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Good points. My Uncle Mike's IWB holster probably would never cause the gun to discharge--I just need to be more comfortable with the idea of a chambered round against my hip 24/7.

I should be better prepared in the event of a threat. I think I've convinced myself that simply carrying a handgun will give me the edge.

Has anyone ever felt that a round in the chamber was ever a safety threat to you or those around you? Maybe I'm just paranoid...

I'd say you should take the time to research and then invest in a quality holster (and belt!) I personally don't put much faith in most of the UM "any gun will fit" holsters. I do have, and have carried, a revolver in one of their pocket holsters, however. (Though I don't any longer now that I've invested in one of a much better quality - a Mika)

Many folks here can wax poetic about the statements that I've highlighted above...

Yes, you (speaking to all INGOers, myself included) SHOULD be better prepared.

But no, simply carrying a handgun will not give you much of an edge - especially an unloaded one. A handgun is NOT some kind of magic talisman. It is nothing more than a tool. A tool that needs practice being used.

And yes, perhaps you are being a bit paranoid... However, in all honestly, if all you have is a generically fitting nylon holster with squishy sides...not chambering a round may very well save your life and/or other bits & pieces. Likewise - an overly worn leather holster can also lead to disaster.

-J-

Top Bottom