• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    OP, if you're replacing can lights where the base is in the up position then that could be your longevity problem. CFL's can have shortened lives if they are in a base up can light. Heat in the ballast will cause ballast failure prematurely. Look for CFL's made specifically for base up/can light installation.

I'm not sure what you mean by "base up" lights but I'll look into it.

I have 6 can lights that I installed about 2 years ago. The originals were incandescent and replaced with cfl's. I'm almost certain there's a bulb or 2 already on it's 2nd cfl. Out of the 6, I noticed only 2 were working. I'll give them a "jiggle" to see if they really are bad or just need a small turn.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I'm not sure what you mean by "base up" lights but I'll look into it.

I have 6 can lights that I installed about 2 years ago. The originals were incandescent and replaced with cfl's. I'm almost certain there's a bulb or 2 already on it's 2nd cfl. Out of the 6, I noticed only 2 were working. I'll give them a "jiggle" to see if they really are bad or just need a small turn.

Base up:
    10082875253_b82daa95e7_o.jpg

Base down:
    10082786595_81906598ef_o.jpg

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Write the date on the bulb when it goes in. Someone suggested that here and it's a good way to track

this is exactly what I do. Garage light is on 24/7 and has been in use for over a year now. I don't track the energy savings but I do know I am not changing bulbs as often as I used to.
    Front porch light is also dated, but I broke that one last October when I changed it out for my "pink" CFL. The one in now is on 11mths and going strong.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The Main reason I replaced most of my lights with CFLs is I realized just how much energy was being consumed. Not really that concerned about the $$ but one time when the power was out and I was on the Genny (5600 watt) I turned on my hair dryer (1200 watts) and heard the Genny respond to the drain. And started to think about the load just having lights on would affect my capacity. My ceiling fan contained 5, 60 watt lights, that's 300 watts 5% of the capacity it got me thinking of ways to reduce the load when I have to go on my genny. I'm always the last to get power back when it goes out!

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The Main reason I replaced most of my lights with CFLs is I realized just how much energy was being consumed. Not really that concerned about the $$ but one time when the power was out and I was on the Genny (5600 watt) I turned on my hair dryer (1200 watts) and heard the Genny respond to the drain. And started to think about the load just having lights on would affect my capacity. My ceiling fan contained 5, 60 watt lights, that's 300 watts 5% of the capacity it got me thinking of ways to reduce the load when I have to go on my genny. I'm always the last to get power back when it goes out!

CFLs are better than incandescents for power usage, but you might want to look into purchasing at least a couple of LEDs for even better performance when you are power constrained. I have some 3W LEDs (25W equivalent) that can be used for accessory lighting and actually put out enough light to read/get around on in an emergency.

Last edited:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Our electric bill went down about 20%. It really depends on what wattage builds you had in before. From what I hear swapping to LED really drops it because the CFL bulbs look like 75 w bulbs compared to an LED.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We have a mix of CFL, LED, and incandescent around the house. The CFLs last fine in most locations. I have a standard CFL in an outdoor fixture that is on 12 hours per day, and it has been replaced once in 7 years. The ones in the bathroom only last about 2 years (they are on when the room is hot/moist). The ones in the family room cans have been there for about 7 years.

I really like the LEDs. Very white light (no yellow tint in mine) and very bright, for only 3 watts each. They replaced 35 watt incandescent spots. I had one (of 7) go bad after about 6 years. The others are fine.

Even the "instant on" CFLs take too long to warm up for me. Drives me nuts. I'm slowly switching to all LED as lights burn out, and the cost comes down. Orders of magnitude longer life, very little heat, and a fraction of the cost to run. Now that the technology is fairly mature, you can get any brightness, style, and color temperature.

My electric bill is driven by the fridge, freezer, and AC (or furnace blower in winter). Lights are a very small part of the bill. Heck, running my TV for an evening uses the same power as the lights for a full day/night.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have been in this house since june a year ago. The CFL in the reading lamp next to my recliner has been replaced twice. There is no way that it saves enough electricity to offset the purchase price. I actually disposed of the old one at work where they have bulb recycling, doing my environmental duty. The one thing I like about it is in the summer it does not generate heat next to my head while I read. There is something to be said about saving heat during A/C season. The heat is somewhat of a bonus during heating season.

I think the cfl bulbs are a stop gap between old incandescents and better lighting, not the final answer. The LED's may be the better way, but they need to evolve some. Right now, led's do not last forever, are very expensive, and the light spectrum is very harsh.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    From what I hear swapping to LED really drops it because the CFL bulbs look like 75 w bulbs compared to an LED.
    Yep. When I replaced the can lights in my kitchen, I started with 35W incandescent. The equivalent CFL was about 12 watts, and the LED was 3 watts. Same light output. The LED actually "appears" brighter, as all of the light is directed down (not lost in the can), and I chose a much whiter color temperature.

Most comparisons show a 60W standard bulb = 14W CFL = 7W LED. So, LED's use roughly a 10th of the power for the same light output.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep. When I replaced the can lights in my kitchen, I started with 35W incandescent. The equivalent CFL was about 12 watts, and the LED was 3 watts. Same light output. The LED actually "appears" brighter, as all of the light is directed down (not lost in the can), and I chose a much whiter color temperature.

Most comparisons show a 60W standard bulb = 14W CFL = 7W LED. So, LED's use roughly a 10th of the power for the same light output.

I am looking at LED's right now. We have 9 can style track lights and 2 regular lamps in the family room. They are seldom all on at the same time unless I am not home and the wife has been in there. Typical female action...light on...leave room...20 minutes later I enter room and shut off at least half the lights. After 33 yrs. I have come to the realization that resistance/anger is futile. Best I can do is reduce energy consumption. Already have CFL's in all the lights.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Typical female action...light on...leave room...20 minutes later I enter room and shut off at least half the lights. After 33 yrs. I have come to the realization that resistance/anger is futile. Best I can do is reduce energy consumption.

Oh no, no, no...There's some entertainment/aggrevation value there...

In my house it's the laundry room lights that for some reason can get turned on but for some reason that escapes me, can only be turned off by me. So, you walk in; make a non-accusatory annoucement/statement of fact such as: "Somebody left the laundry room lights on!"; and, as much as possible, make that switch make a clicking sound as you flip it off; then announce: "I got it!".

It's always good for an eye-roll or a "bite-my-butt!".

:D

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Typical female action...light on...leave room...20 minutes later I enter room and shut off at least half the lights. After 33 yrs. I have come to the realization that resistance/anger is futile. Best I can do is reduce energy consumption.

+1 ! That is what happens in my house, I have spent 35 years trying to change it. The only victory I have had is figuring out how to take a shower without 13 bottles of beauty products falling down around my feet. I bought a house with two full baths.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The LED's may be the better way, but they need to evolve some. Right now, led's do not last forever, are very expensive, and the light spectrum is very harsh.

I'm not saying LED's are done evolving and improving, but I think the current technology is better than you might believe. I know light sensitivity etc can be subjective but my most recent LED purchases put out awesome light. As a matter of fact, I didn't notice any difference when I took the 60 Watt CFLs out of the kitchen fixtures and replaced them with 60 Watt LEDs except the LEDs are noticably brighter than the CFLs were. I think the color temperature/spectrum is perfect. Not too hot or cool (color spectrum), just perfect. Their shape gives them the appeareance of a normal incan. bulb (rounded bulb shape instead of spirals) except for the heat-sink around the base. They are expensive as you say, but the life expectancy is much higher as well...

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Holy cow-I just looked at the price of LED flood bulbs...nearly $20/each and it'd "only" cost me $240 to do my whole house. I'm not exactly thrilled with the performance I've seen out of the LED track lights I've seen in my kitchen to spend that kind of money on bulbs.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    +1 ! That is what happens in my house, I have spent 35 years trying to change it. The only victory I have had is figuring out how to take a shower without 13 bottles of beauty products falling down around my feet. I bought a house with two full baths.

I have to re-arrange the shower as well. My old house only has 1 bath.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I got my first CFL back in the 1980's when a friend gave me one, and I'd never heard of them before.

I used them up to a few years ago when I began to change over to LED type bulbs.
    I'm now all LED and like them better.

I've viewed CFL type bulbs as an interim lighting source for some time,.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Holy cow-I just looked at the price of LED flood bulbs...nearly $20/each and it'd "only" cost me $240 to do my whole house. I'm not exactly thrilled with the performance I've seen out of the LED track lights I've seen in my kitchen to spend that kind of money on bulbs.

Look at the Cree LED lights at Home Depot (is there an echo in here?) I have them in can lights and they do fine. MUCH bright than the CFL's they replaced and the color is a lot better.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Does anyone really find them to save money like they claim? They never last as long as they claim and their price is much higher. I'm replacing can lights more than once a year it seems and the spiral bulbs aren't any better.

I find they do save money, imho, LED bulbs are the way to go. They last a lot longer then CFL for not much more and half the wattage for the same brightness as CFL's. Home depot carries Cree led bulbs, the 2700k 40 watt or 60 watt equivalent looks so very close to a standard incandescent while using 4-8watt depending which equivalent bulbs you use. Got my mom to switch to those and they look great! CFL also contains dangerous materials such as mercury.

Top Bottom