Certain dog breeds...I just don't get it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Our oldest son who is a cop decided about 5 months ago to put their Pit mix down. Took our dog over and it did not go well. Ends up could not be around any dogs other than their other dog they have. Taking the dog to the vet was a chore, had to be muzzled. With a newborn on the way they decided to try to turn the dog in to various organizations. No one would take her. So they made the decision to put her down. About a month ago our son had to go on a call of a child being attacked by their family dog. It was pretty bad. After seeing what that child went through, he told me putting their dog down was the best decision they could of made. Now who knows what the child may have done. But with the aggressive history of their dog, you can't take any chances.

Good for them, it was the right decision.
    It amazes me what some dog owners post here about the behavior of their dogs and its normal and acceptable with them. I hope they have huge insurance policy riders covering their dogs.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I was sitting in the waiting room at the Noblesville Spay/Neuter clinic a few weeks ago. The place was full of people with dogs and cats. This little girl sitting next to me looked nervous and when our eyes met, she gave that little wiggle, hoping we could be friends. I asked the guy if it was OK and he said yes, and I petted her. She was great, staying calm, even with some other dogs freaking out near her. I could have taken her home with me.

Several owners had to wait outside with dogs that weren't safe to take in the waiting room. The two craziest of those were both Pitbulls.

36AoqdQ.jpg
    [/IMG]

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Personally I don't care for pits. Not because of their reputation, but I just don't like them. Too slobbery. Short hair makes them ugly. I don't care what you people say, they're ****ing ugly. I'm a fan of hearding dogs. Over the years I've had a lot of them of varying types. But mostly I like the muts. For the past 15 years we've head the pleasure of having a mut with some GS, border collie, and maybe a little Huskie, and he's been the best dog. And he's a dry mouth. So no slobber. Shedding is annoying though.

C'mon, dude; they only shed twice a year (for six months at a time) :)

(My #1 dog is a GS/Husky cross)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Personally I don't care for pits. Not because of their reputation, but I just don't like them. Too slobbery. Short hair makes them ugly. I don't care what you people say, they're ****ing ugly. I'm a fan of hearding dogs. Over the years I've had a lot of them of varying types. But mostly I like the muts. For the past 15 years we've head the pleasure of having a mut with some GS, border collie, and maybe a little Huskie, and he's been the best dog. And he's a dry mouth. So no slobber. Shedding is annoying though.
    I've only been bitten by a dog (completely unprovoked) one time, and it was a chow/GS mix (I think). I was just carrying DoggyMama's cleaning bucket up to one of her clients' houses (she had a broken ankle at the time and had no business working but that's another story). Dog was chained up, and I thought I was safely out of range, but I was mistaken. He ran up and nailed me before I even saw him coming. Took a few stitches to close up the gash in my leg and I've still got the scar. He was a big fluffy dog - the kind that looked like you'd want to cuddle, but his personality was something totally different. I didn't push the issue, but if it had been my dog, it would've been put down.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Growing up we had a poodle mutt. Moms name was shaggy cause they didnÂ’t know what she was, then she was a mom. That dog drew more blood and was highly protective of her house and my mom. I think itÂ’s very true about dog attacks not requiring medical treatment not making the news. My son was attacked by a German Shepard once. That is on the owner when they find out their dog is aggressive. They knew and ultimately didnÂ’t pay the doctor bills either.

Now we have Charlie, 96 pounds, very quick and very strong. She loves people and never bit a person. Seen many that scared of her mostly due to her size. She drags me down the road sometimes to meet people. A couple dogs have been aggressive towards her only to change their mind seeing how quick and confident she handled herself without a dog fight. ThatÂ’s her in my avatar.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Jamil she is not slobber at all with hunting dog traits, vet said more Dalmatian. Just very muscled and loving.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I've only been bitten by a dog (completely unprovoked) one time, and it was a chow/GS mix (I think). I was just carrying DoggyMama's cleaning bucket up to one of her clients' houses (she had a broken ankle at the time and had no business working but that's another story). Dog was chained up, and I thought I was safely out of range, but I was mistaken. He ran up and nailed me before I even saw him coming. Took a few stitches to close up the gash in my leg and I've still got the scar. He was a big fluffy dog - the kind that looked like you'd want to cuddle, but his personality was something totally different. I didn't push the issue, but if it had been my dog, it would've been put down.
    Chow GS mix? Chows are ****ing terrorists anyway, and then they get the body of a GS?

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    My dad got my youngest sister a chow/German shepherd mix dog when it was a pup. Very friendly as long as one of us was around. But very protective and very territorial and very stubborn.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Chows are all Dog**** Crazy. :n00b:

Got disagree with that. when my mother was a live she had a Maltese and a Chow, Snuggles while very protective of the fenced in rural yard of Rabbits, Opossum and Squirrels was one of those dogs whose friendly demeanor was a
    tail wagging so fierce that her back feet would come off the floor as she wagged that tail. She passed away 5 years after my mother at the age of 14 and never once nipped or snapped at anyone.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    +1. I’ve not met a chow that wasn’t nutso. We have lazy and happy dogs. They make a mean bark for me to take care of the problem. They both know that daddy makes things go away, they just have to tell him they’re there.

We had some brief neighbors that were breeding those insane chows. They would fight all night. Get out of the fence and chase people in their own yards. Not saying they are all crazy but the ones I have seen myself were not a breed I would want.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Got disagree with that. when my mother was a live she had a Maltese and a Chow, Snuggles while very protective of the fenced in rural yard of Rabbits, Opossum and Squirrels was one of those dogs whose friendly demeanor was a
    tail wagging so fierce that her back feet would come off the floor as she wagged that tail. She passed away 5 years after my mother at the age of 14 and never once nipped or snapped at anyone.

I get it.
    There is always exceptions. Every Chow I've ever known was the biggest sweetheart to their immediate family and friends but everyone else, not a chance in hell. I had a hand full of friends that had them and a few neighbors. And yes, it also depends haw they were raised. Some were just territorial and protective but once in an open park setting they were fairly friendly. As a whole, I've noticed they are more aggressive than most dogs.... except Chihuahuas.
    Chihuahuas are the devils spawn.

And most Chows I knew had fufu names like Teddy or Fluffy because they look all cute and harmless.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, that's my feeling as well. Chows are really unpredictable.

I've never been around a Chow I trusted.

For example, I had a neighbor in the past that had a Chow.
    It was crazy aggressive, and reminded me of a Hyena.

Every time I was in my back yard it would try to get through the flimsy fence at me.
    I began having a pistol on me whenever I was in the backyard.

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Years ago I had neighbors with a chow that got loose several times and attacked multiple dogs and one person. I knew the couple and they were intelligent, reasonable people so I never understood their blind spot in allowing that dog to live.

Top Bottom