cell phone signal boosters for home use...any suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    My parents live in the country and the cell phone reception in their home is pretty bad. Knowing almost nothing about this it seems like a signal booster antennas would be perfect for them (I need a gift). I cannot seem to find a decent review that is not on a site that only sells specific models. Does anyone have any experience with this.
    I'm referring to this kind of thing.

Amazon.com: Wireless Extenders YX500-Cel zBoost Cell Phone Signal Booster up to 2500 Square Feet of Coverage for Home or Office (800 MHz Phones): Cell Phones & Service

another link that has a decent description of the process also.
    ThinkGeek :: Cellphone Signal Extender

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    I looked at these a while back and asked several cell phone "experts". I was told to take my cell phone to the roof and check my signal and try to place a call. If I had no luck, then a signal booster would be a waste of money. You can't boost what isn't there.

nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    do they have broadband internet available in their area? if so you may be able to use some of the repeaters available from most companies that send the call over the broadband line

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    do they have broadband internet available in their area? if so you may be able to use some of the repeaters available from most companies that send the call over the broadband line

This too.

I had to install one for our ceo, he states it works well. Only down side is the extra $5 a month on the bill.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I was planning on going with a zboost. A friend got one and wasn't that impressed. Like was already said, you need a decent signal wherever you place your antenna for it to do any good. Plus they are finicky to set up for inside reception from what I've read.

I was planning on buying an att microcell but I got a letter stating I could get one free. It's sitting at one end of the house and I get full bars at that end. At the other end, it really drops off.

I may put 2 of the in my new house.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If they have att&t the microcell booster works great! I had no bars at all at my house until I bought this. Full bars everywhere! $150.00 at any at&t store.

I got mine free.:D Mine drops out at 40' or so. In my new house, I have 2 floors and a basement. I'm planning on trying to centrally locate it but I don't know how much luck I'm going to have. I have a concrete room in the basement. I doubt it will transmit through it so I'm thinking about putting one in it as well.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    Verizon's repeater works very well and allows up to three phones to use the repeater at once. The only requirements are you have to have a window for the GPS antenna and DSL or Broadband. They are around $250, however there is not a monthly charge.

Fry's sells a cell repeater for around $175, there is a model for each cell company.

griff5687

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Most providers offer a number that you can call and it will update your phone to any new towers/satellites

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I have the Z boost. Went from 2 bars to 5 in my living room. It is kind of expensive, but my stress level from bad reception / dropped calls has dropped considerably. Like was stated earlier, climb the roof and see if you can get 5 bars there, before you try to boost a non existent signal.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Most providers offer a number that you can call and it will update your phone to any new towers/satellites
    I don't see where that would help unless miraculously there was a new tower put up in the OPs area and his cell phone can't connect to it without doing that.

My parents need the same thing (booster for indoors). Get pretty good service anywhere outside the house, but with aluminum siding, the service drops off to almost nothing indoors. There are a couple spots in the house that you must run to if you're getting a phone call. The garage is even worse. I've always wondered about a cell booster.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    There are a couple spots in the house that you must run to if you're getting a phone call. The garage is even worse.
    LOL, that is the same thing in there house. In my house there are areas where you cannot walk through because it is like the tunnel of death for the call you are on. :yesway:

Top Bottom