• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Only surprise for me on this list was Alan Alda, who they say served as a combat officer during the Korean War. Never pictured that.

And I hope Chuck Norris Chuck Norris' somebody's butt for calling him an "MP" instead of the far superior "SP." Air Force SPs are meaner, smarter, and far better looking than Army MPs.

FOXNews.com - Celebrities Who Served Their Country

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Very interesting. Especially Jim Stewart. Impressive, not surprising.

There is more to the Jimmy Stewart story than they told. He remained in the Reserves for years after the war. He didn't have to. Nor did he have to fly combat missions in WW2. His celebrity caused the Army to try to keep him out of combat. He's long been one of my real world heroes.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    I didn't know about Clint Eastwood.

Ed McMahon was a Marine flight instructor during WWII and Johnny Carson was in the NAVY.

Clark Gable was a Major in the Army Air corps.

Julia Child was in the OSS.

Steve McQueen was a devil dog during WWII.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    There is more to the Jimmy Stewart story than they told. He remained in the Reserves for years after the war. He didn't have to. Nor did he have to fly combat missions in WW2. His celebrity caused the Army to try to keep him out of combat. He's long been one of my real world heroes.

He actually retired from the Air force as a Brigadier General. :patriot:

Antelope08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    New Palestine
    Only surprise for me on this list was Alan Alda, who they say served as a combat officer during the Korean War. Never pictured that.

And I hope Chuck Norris Chuck Norris' somebody's butt for calling him an "MP" instead of the far superior "SP." Air Force SPs are meaner, smarter, and far better looking than Army MPs.

FOXNews.com - Celebrities Who Served Their Country
    "Back in the day" when I was an MP at FT Carson, Colo., located in close proximity to NORAD. NORAD had a secuity breach (outside), who did they call for assistance, ARMY MP's.

Antelope08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    New Palestine
    RE: James Stewart Facts:

1st actor to join the military in WWII, joined BEFORE Pearl Harbor

He held the highest active military rank of any actor in history. During World War II, he served in the Army Air Corps and rose to the rank of Colonel; after the War, he continued in the US Air Force Reserve becoming a Brigadier General.

Initially a B-17 instructor, Mr Stewart insisted on serving in combat. In August 1943 he was assigned to the 445th Bombardment Group in Sioux City, Iowa, first as Operations Officer of the 703d Bomb Squadron, and then its commander. In December the 445th BG flew its B-24 Liberator bombers to Tibenham, England, and immediately began combat operations. While flying missions over Germany, Stewart was promoted to major. In March 1944 he was transferred to the 453rd Bomb Group, a new B-24 outfit that had been experiencing difficulties, as Group Operations Officer. In 1944 he twice received the Distinguished Flying Cross for actions in combat, and was awarded the Croix de Guerre. He also received the Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters. In July 1944, after flying 20 combat missions, Stewart was made Chief of Staff of the 2d Combat Bomb Wing of the Eighth Air Force. Before the war ended he was promoted to colonel, one of only a few Americans to rise from private to colonel in four years.
    Stewart continued to play an active role in the United States Air Force Reserves after the war, achieving the rank of Brigadier General on July 23, 1959. He rode along as an observer on a B-52 Stratofortress bombing run during the Vietnam War in 1966, though he did not fly any duty missions during that conflict. Stewart finally retired from the Air Force on May 31, 1968 after 27 years of service.

Mr Stewart was a former Boy Scout and life long supporter of Boy Scouts. There is even a Boy Scout citizenship award named in honor of him.:patriot:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    "Back in the day" when I was an MP at FT Carson, Colo., located in close proximity to NORAD. NORAD had a secuity breach (outside), who did they call for assistance, ARMY MP's.

Yeah.... for the outside work. But they didn't let you in with the important stuff and good furniture :D

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Steve McQueen was too young for WWII. He joined the Corps in 1947. He was demoted 7 times and went over the hill once to be with a girl. He straightened up after that though and was honorably discharged. He's from Beech Grove btw. My favorite actor.
    James Garner served in Korea
    Eddie Albert served in the Pacific during WWII. He won a medal IIRC.
    Jimmy Stewart, as mentioned, had a life long love affair with the Air Force. He was an active pilot and promoted the Air Force whenever he could. I'm trying to remember the movie he starred in where he played a baseball player but was in the Air Force too. Probably some of the most beautifully filmed air scenes I've ever seen. He flew B-36s, a massive airplane, and B-47s, the 1st swept wing bomber built by Boeing and they showed the 1st B-52s in the movie. I'm hoping to watch some food war movies this weekend, and the Formula 1 race from Turkey.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip
    I'm trying to remember the movie he starred in where he played a baseball player but was in the Air Force too. Probably some of the most beautifully filmed air scenes I've ever seen. He flew B-36s, a massive airplane, and B-47s, the 1st swept wing bomber built by Boeing and they showed the 1st B-52s in the movie. I'm hoping to watch some food war movies this weekend, and the Formula 1 race from Turkey.

Strategic Air Command

A pretty good telling of the beginnings of SAC.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    What about Audie Murphy? One of my favorite older actors and I know he served as well. When my dad would be home on Saturdays we would sit together and watch his old movies whether it be a western or an combat movie. Good memories there for me.

Top Bottom