• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    For those who carry on their person anywhere between 3-9 o'clock, how do you intend to draw if something happens while you are sitting in the car? I have considered this issue a couple times, as well as the problems these alterations they could cause, but really haven't come to a solution.

Do you put a dedicated holster in the car, and un-holster and re-holster each time you get in and out so you can access it no matter the situation? (Not sure how I feel about continuing to take the gun in and out of its holster, exposing the trigger often)
    Do you change your entire carrying position to better access it in the vehicle (i.e. appendix, possibly cross draw)?
    I know INGO says absolutely don't leave a gun in the car, so to have a dedicated 'truck gun' isn't an option.
    Carrying something on the ankle is probably the easiest solution I've come up with.

What say you?

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I always thought this was one of the times when the shoulder holster really made sense.

I know at one time I saw a "holster" that fit between the driver's seat and the center console. You'd move your firearm to it when you got in and back on your person when you got out. Seemed less than ideal to have to unholster a loaded weapon though.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Simple.
    Doors are ALWAYS locked before I roll out.
    Windows stay up under 30mph in "town".
    In Drive when stopped (not park, neutral or parking brake derpyness). I've also been known to keep it in Reverse if forward movement wasn't possible but the location was sketchy.
    Pistol under my thigh or in the door pocket NOT in a holster.

In tactical mode, RTI hanger lets a guy swap his whole holster from belt to chest cross draw and back quickly.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    how do you intend to draw if something happens while you are sitting in the car?

I do not.

I have considered this issue a couple times, as well as the problems these alterations they could cause, but really haven't come to a solution.

Go to school and learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBTvWID5uAA

Do you change your entire carrying position to better access it in the vehicle (i.e. appendix, possibly cross draw)?

No.

Appendix lasers your legs and junk. Ask Steve Malloy how being shot there works out.

Cross draw or shoulder rigs can work, just ensure you know the drill and get that off hand/elbow UP.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I can draw just fine from a 4 o'clock carry seated in my vehicle...which happens to be a full sized pickup with a split bench seat.

...And i'm not exactly pixie sized.

My hope, however, is to never find myself in a position where this is necessary.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    I always thought this was one of the times when the shoulder holster really made sense.

I know at one time I saw a "holster" that fit between the driver's seat and the center console. You'd move your firearm to it when you got in and back on your person when you got out. Seemed less than ideal to have to unholster a loaded weapon though.

This was my thinking as well, that's a lot of exposed trigger time.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Simple.
    Doors are ALWAYS locked before I roll out.
    Windows stay up under 30mph in "town".
    In Drive when stopped (not park, neutral or parking brake derpyness). I've also been known to keep it in Reverse if forward movement wasn't possible but the location was sketchy.
    Pistol under my thigh or in the door pocket NOT in a holster.

In tactical mode, RTI hanger lets a guy swap his whole holster from belt to chest cross draw and back quickly.

But you do remove the gun from your holster when you get in the vehicle?

EDIT: for some reason the bottom part of your doesn't post show on mobile, weird

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    My Civic weighs just under 3K, my Ranger is just under 4K. Both would be formidable weapons if needed. They also provide an excellent way to get out of Dodge.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I'm left handed, carry at 8:00 drawing is easy. Depending on the situation will depend on what hand the firearm stays in.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Yes.
    Interestingly enough, if you don't pull the trigger you won't shoot yourself or your belongings.

I wasn't implying that you were incapable of taking the gun from the holster without shooting yourself, I just wanted clarification. I had thought of having a separate holster in the vehicle, but didn't consider having it just sitting under my leg.

Last edited:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    For everyday driving it stays on my R strong side position. If I plan to drive out of town for any length of time I use a shoulder holster.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    My Civic weighs just under 3K, my Ranger is just under 4K. Both would be formidable weapons if needed. They also provide an excellent way to get out of Dodge.

Understood, as that has been pointed out previously.

Say you're in the drive thru, cars directly in front and behind you, and someone comes and breaks the glass on either side (which negates your door being locked)

What do you do then? Are you going to get out, pick up your 3k Civic and throw it sideways? Because I had a Civic, and my turn radius was still pretty wide, too wide to do anything in this scenario

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I can draw just fine from a 4 o'clock carry seated in my vehicle...which happens to be a full sized pickup with a split bench seat.

...And i'm not exactly pixie sized.

My hope, however, is to never find myself in a position where this is necessary.

I carry at about 3 or 4 o'clock. I can reach back and draw.

OR hit the gas and drive away.

Pretty much my plan. I'm not doing any gun gymnastics when I get in the car or get out. I'm not interested in a bunch of holstering/unholstering, etc. I carry in the same position (similar to where these other posters indicate they do) when I'm driving, walking, running, sitting at my home computer.

Understood, as that has been pointed out previously.

Say you're in the drive thru, cars directly in front and behind you, and someone comes and breaks the glass on either side (which negates your door being locked)

What do you do then? Are you going to get out, pick up your 3k Civic and throw it sideways? Because I had a Civic, and my turn radius was still pretty wide, too wide to do anything in this scenario

Not to say it cannot happen, but I try my best to control how close I am to anyone, and hopefully in a position I can move the vehicle. In the event your Civic is in pinning me in, I think the FJ will likely still be able to get me out of the situation. I'm not interested in the gun floating around in the car unholstered, etc. I want that gun on me, and my best bet is using the vehicle as the weapon or preferably the escape tool.

Top Bottom