• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Running or biking, I use a Belly Band which is made entirely of neoprene and closes with Velcro. It's about 5" wide, so it stays in place( the velcro is that wide also) and is easy to adjust. The pistol holster built into it accomodates several pistols. I wear it so the gun is in the Small of Back carry and it is easy to get to and feels natural.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I do some bike riding, havn't had my ltch real long though. I use my galco shoulder rig "jackass rig" and a hoody, it works nice for me the jackass sets more up and down and with a decent size hoodie its almost impossible to notice on me and a fairly comfortable reach under the hoody..... I am 5,7 135 so may be a factor.
    I don't think its going to work once it gets a bit warmer out though.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    I have been riding bicylces all my life. I used to commute by bicycle daily from Brownsburg to downtown Indy and since my route carried me through some sketchy neighborhoods in the 4:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. time frame, I always carried. My cycling "outfit" was typical roadbike attire: padded spandex shorts and cycling jersey. In the colder months I might way full lenght tights, long sleeve jersey and/or jacket.

Obviously, this leaves no room for a conventional holster. I used a Galco fanny pack for my Glock 19 and extra magazine. My thinking was that if something happens requiring me to use my pistol, I may well have been run off the road or otherwise had to ditch the bike so storing the pistol on the bike itself would not work. Also, I was not concerned with the fact that the fanny pack may require two hands to open. I did not seriously consider that I would try to draw the pistol and fire while riding. I think that would be a recipe for disaster.

As someone mentioned above, a fanny pack usually has to be worn with the pack facing your side or to the back you ride. This is more true if you ride a road bike where you bend a lot at the waist to read the handle bars (think TdF).

Glad to hear that so many here ride bicycles.

Last edited:

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I ride and I carry. My set-up is a .357 in a fanny pack. I think off-body/on-bike carry is foolish. If you get separated from your bike, you are separated from you gun. Mine stays with me all the time, and I can clear my fanny pack as fast as I can clear a holster. Get a fanny pack made for concealed carry.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have been riding bicylces all my life. I used to commute by bicycle daily from Brownsburg to downtown Indy and since my route carried me through some sketchy neighborhoods in the 4:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. time frame, I always carried. My cycling "outfit" was typical roadbike attire: padded spandex shorts and cycling jersey. In the colder months I might way full lenght tights, long sleeve jersey and/or jacket.

Obviously, this leaves no room for a conventional holster. I used a Galco fanny pack for my Glock 19 and extra magazine. My thinking was that if something happens requiring me to use my pistol, I may well have been run off the road or otherwise had to ditch the bike so storing the pistol on the bike itself would not work. Also, I was not concerned with the fact that the fanny pack may require two hands to open. I did not seriously consider that I would try to draw the pistol and fire while riding. I think that would be a recipe for disaster.

As someone mentioned above, a fanny pack usually has to be worn with the pack facing your side or to the back you ride. This is more true if you ride a road bike where you bend a lot at the waist to read the handle bars (think TdF).

Glad to hear that so many here ride bicycles.

I think that this is pretty good advice. I really don't see the "riding and shooting" as an option, so a fanny pack for off the bike defense is the best option for retention and deployment.

What is not stated by the OP is what type of riding he is doing and I think that plays a big part in figuring out what/how to carry. Recreational riding in a fairly upright position gives more options than road biking or MTB on trails. Exertion level also plays a role, as well as clothing. A high level of exertion wearing spandex cycling shorts with a IWB would seem very uncomfortable, in regards to sweat and retention.

I think that a backpack or fanny pack offer the best options for serious riding. I might also add that a compact Glock type pistol or perhaps an alloy snub nose revolver offer the best weight/sweat resistance if carried close to the body.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Randy, did you try out your Versipack yet? I'm looking for a cycling CC pack for a G27. I like the versatility of the Versipack vs. a fanny pack (especially off bike), but I'm trying to figure out how much the Versipack would shift while riding. Can you wear it front and rear?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

I think I like these ideas best. It looks a bit odd at first, but I don't think people would give it a second look if you were riding a bicycle with it. Deployment would be both quick and accessible.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Randy, did you try out your Versipack yet? I'm looking for a cycling CC pack for a G27. I like the versatility of the Versipack vs. a fanny pack (especially off bike), but I'm trying to figure out how much the Versipack would shift while riding. Can you wear it front and rear?
    Actually, I haven't ridden my bike in awhile. I am going to try it REAL SOON NOW.

The Versipack Jumbo goes cross-shoulder like a messenger bag and can go to the side or to the back. I suppose front is possible too. I think it will shift a bit.

I also have a molle fanny pack I want to try. Maybe the military look of it will serve as a deterrent.

Top Bottom