• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Yesterday my wife and I went for a six-mile bicycle ride on the bike path that parallels Ronald Reagan Parkway from Washington Street to Stafford Road. This was my first bike ride since I've been carrying regularly. I just didn't feel like I wanted to go on a major thoroughfare unarmed, even for a short time.

Normally I carry my Glock 27 IWB. I was afraid that wouldn't work very well when riding the bike, so I put on a shoulder rig that I have never worn outside the house before. I bought the shoulder holster for my Ruger SR9, but the Glock fits it just fine.

I threw a golf shirt over the holster. I was lumpier than usual, but it wasn't that noticeable, since it was under my arm. No issues with it while riding.

However, as my son pointed out later, the gun is not very accessible under a shirt like that, especially while riding a bike.

I'm thinking it may actually be better to carry in a fanny pack or something like that. I wonder about the experience of other INGOers and what they might recommend.

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    pocket carry P3AT. if you have to stop for some reason just dip your hand in your pocket and check the surroundings.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Drop leg tactical holster!!!!! It puts it right there on your thigh..

No I have no idea I am still playing with finding a comfortable easy access way to carry while riding myself, fortunately mine doesn't have peddles so I am not moving as much.
    Small of back seems most comfortable but I need to find a better holster with super retention because i am constantly reaching back to make sure it is still there. Have been riding like that for years and never lost one but I still check every time I move or hit a bump.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I used to bicycle and I wouldn't want anything on my body. Two ideas:

1. Buy a bicycling shirt that has the pockets in the lower back.
    2. Buy a cheap Kydex holster and fabricate a way to mount it to one of your tubes.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I fanny pack carry on the bike.

Pros:
    place to carry wallet, cell phone, etc., in addition to gun
    relatively secure with good retention
    compatible with bike pants (I would not want to IWB with bike pants but I guess some folks do)
    keeps the gun separate from the sweat

Cons:
    two hands needed to access the weapon
    have to shift the FP around to find a spot that doesn't interfere with pedaling (for me this is off to the side of one hip)

Lt. Commander

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Ft. Wayne * Aboite
    My beautiful wife is a long distance bike rider, she does 25-30 miles at a time on back country roads in our area. Last summer she was forced of the road by a car full of young males, she was not hurt but it pissed her off. She told me that she wanted to ride after them and.... and do what I said? Up to that point in her life she saw no need to carry a gun, I pointed out to her that she was very lucky to just be run off the road, they could have just as easily stopped and do lord knows what. It was at that time I suggested it was time to learn how to shoot and get your permit so she could at least have the option of protecting herself on her future rides. To add to the answers of the OP, a good quality fanny pack slid to the side or across the back will be her preferred method of carry after some lengthy thought about where things will be out of the way through the duration of her ride.

Scott

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    I fanny pack carry on the bike.

Pros:
    place to carry wallet, cell phone, etc., in addition to gun
    relatively secure with good retention
    compatible with bike pants (I would not want to IWB with bike pants but I guess some folks do)
    keeps the gun separate from the sweat

Cons:
    two hands needed to access the weapon
    have to shift the FP around to find a spot that doesn't interfere with pedaling (for me this is off to the side of one hip)

+1 or look at something from maxpedition like a jumbo versipack that is made for CCW plus carrying a waterbottle and all your other goodies...

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    +1 or look at something from maxpedition like a jumbo versipack that is made for CCW plus carrying a waterbottle and all your other goodies...
    Now you're talking. I have a Jumbo and never considered using it on a bike. I'll try that next time and report.

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    No Bicycle carry experience but I carry on my motorcycle everyday its nice enough to ride to work and I carry the same way i always do. IWB just behind the right hip at about 4 oclock position. If not there occasionally i'll carry it in my left jackot pocket since the throttle is on the right I just may want to use my left hand while riding so i can maintain throttle control for that once in a lifetime james bond bad guy like event that may happen.

Why are you opposed to carrying IWB on a bicycle? Uncomfortable? Not a retention holster?

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Why don't you place an SBR AR in the frame between fork clamp, seat post and pedals?
    Well, several good ideas have come from this thread. And I must say, I hadn't considered the short barreled rifle on the frame of the bike. That would probably mostly remain unnoticed. If that doesn't work, I'll just mount a gun rack, like for a truck, on the back axle and fill it with stuff I might need.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    No Bicycle carry experience but I carry on my motorcycle everyday its nice enough to ride to work and I carry the same way i always do. IWB just behind the right hip at about 4 oclock position. If not there occasionally i'll carry it in my left jackot pocket since the throttle is on the right I just may want to use my left hand while riding so i can maintain throttle control for that once in a lifetime james bond bad guy like event that may happen.

Why are you opposed to carrying IWB on a bicycle? Uncomfortable? Not a retention holster?
    I didn't try it. I usually carry IWB with an untucked shirt over the top. I was afraid the wind might cause an OC situation, which thought did not please my wife.

Split

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Evansville
    I've been looking around, short of OCing in an Ankle rig, I think the best bet is going to be sticking it in my Camelback, or in a holster mounted between the camelback and my back.

IWB is not going to work riding trails and wont be that comfy riding road, in the back might work but as others have stated, i would be afraid of it coming out.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    Let me know if the jumbo works. I'm in the process of getting my mountain bike in riding condition again and was thinking the jumbo would be great to use for spending time with the Glock in the great outdoors.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Well after seeing some posts here's my opinion on some things:

Mounting on the bike, no option because if you dump the bike because of accident or ambush you become separated from it, also prevents you from parking the bike and being away from it.

Packs of any kind prevent quick access, you would have to fumble around to open any pack, fanny would fastest, any backpack would take longer.

Wearing in a IWB/OWB, not a bad option if both IWB/OWB have a retention strap to keep it from coming out, but wearing in the hip or front waist area could become a problem, while riding, (front waist from bending over, hip because of up/down leg movement).

Depending on how hot it is, very light weight jacket (and I do mean VERY) shoulder rig would provide possibly best comfort and ease of access in case of a dump of the bike.

Drop leg tactical holster, rough call, might need a flex strap for the the thigh, or just wear it loose, I think this might be the best, but it shouts I have a gun.

May have to break out the bike and try the tac leg rig for grins and giggles.

Just my :twocents:'s worth.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Yesterday my wife and I went for a six-mile bicycle ride on the bike path that parallels Ronald Reagan Parkway from Washington Street to Stafford Road. This was my first bike ride since I've been carrying regularly. I just didn't feel like I wanted to go on a major thoroughfare unarmed, even for a short time.

Normally I carry my Glock 27 IWB. I was afraid that wouldn't work very well when riding the bike, so I put on a shoulder rig that I have never worn outside the house before. I bought the shoulder holster for my Ruger SR9, but the Glock fits it just fine.

I threw a golf shirt over the holster. I was lumpier than usual, but it wasn't that noticeable, since it was under my arm. No issues with it while riding.

However, as my son pointed out later, the gun is not very accessible under a shirt like that, especially while riding a bike.

I'm thinking it may actually be better to carry in a fanny pack or something like that. I wonder about the experience of other INGOers and what they might recommend.

I too wonder what the best way to carry on a bike is. Sadly I usually result to putting it in the small backpack I wear usually. Slow draw, but it keeps it with me and is comfortable to wear.

I have not gotten the bike out yet this year but I want to. I have a mountain bike since I like to ride trails, but I use it as a road bike as well. In the summer I usually do at least a 20 mile ride one a week.

We should ride sometime.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Maybe something like one of these would adapt to your needs:

- Wilderness Tactical Products, LLC
    or

SURVIVAL SHEATH SYSTEMS : Kydex Shoulder and Chest Holsters - see "off-duty chest raider"
    or

Under Cover Chest Holster for Handguns - Special Forces Gear
    or

#23 Jogger Concealment Gun Holster
    or

Concealed Carry Holsters, Products and Clothing, Concealment Holsters, CCW Holsters, Handgun holsters

Yet another option would be a frame bag for the bike itself. This would put the gun in a fairly handy position, but would be on the bike, rather than on you, and would require some minor modification to the bag.

Frame Pack
    Bicycle frame bags | Epic Designs

Last edited:

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I tried pocket carrying a Smith model 60 while riding my recumbent. Too uncomfortable and the potential that it might come out unexpectedly. I had more success with a shoulder rig and light cover garment.

Top Bottom