• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bollerman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    I have my License to carry Handgun for Indiana, but I still visit my family and friends in NJ from time to time. Does anyone here happen to know who I should talk to about whether or not my permit is applicable in NJ or how I would go about getting legal to carry it in NJ.

I asked my Dad since he's a retired cop in NJ. But he suggested I talk to the AGS office or Chief Law Enforcement Officer. Not sure who that is out here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    NJ does NOT recognise the Indiana LTCH. If you're caught carrying the chances are pretty much 100% that you'll do time. Gov. Christie actually pardoned a man who was arrested and convicted for legally carrying firearms in his vehicle. It's not a good place to be a gun owner.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Get one of those ltch that allows all 58 state carry.:):
    Can't help you there bro. Theres some very knowlegable people here I bet could answer that for ya. There's a few states to travel through. It might be better to go horseback through the trails.:):
    Safe traveling friend.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    I have my License to carry Handgun for Indiana, but I still visit my family and friends in NJ from time to time. Does anyone here happen to know who I should talk to about whether or not my permit is applicable in NJ or how I would go about getting legal to carry it in NJ.

I asked my Dad since he's a retired cop in NJ. But he suggested I talk to the AGS office or Chief Law Enforcement Officer. Not sure who that is out here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx!

I'm in the same boat, with family in NJ and I researched this.

NJ is a "May Issue" state to residents and non-residents, but that is in name only. I have never known anyone to get an application approved. But to put that in perspective, I have only known three people who applied. The only people I have ever known to carry legally in NJ are LEOs and retired LEOs as others have said.

There IS an application process, but permits are issued only “to persons specifically employed in security work . . . and to others who can establish an urgent necessity for carrying guns for self-protection.” A Superior Court Judge approves or disapproves the application. The vast majority are denied due to "Lack of Justifiable Need" I have heard stories of people getting approved, but who knows how they did it.

So, if you think you can make a case for "urgent necessity", here is the link for the application for a permit to carry a handgun: http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/sp-642.pdf

As a non-resident, you would submit your application at the nearest NJSP station and it is forwarded to the NJSP Superintendent's office. FYI, other than the application form, I have never found a single bit of information on how to apply or what the requirements are on the NJSP website, so that ought to tell you how eager they are to get your application. You can try contacting them, though:

New Jersey State Police
    P.O. Box 7068
    West Trenton, NJ 08628
    609-882-2000

The webiste only has info for retired LEOs http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/forms.html#firearms

They require three personal endorsements, fingerprints (for initial app and every renewal) and four photos.

Good luck!

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I live close to the Jersey border and sadly it's off-limits to me as well. I have more freedom regarding which States I can carry in though, so I won't lose any sleep over not going to New Jersey.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    New Jersey won’t even let you pump your own gas. No way in heck they are gonna let you carry a gun.

My fiancee lived in NJ for a few years. Glad she’s back in Indiana now, it was a pain in the behind to visit out there.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

After I stopped laughing at the suggestion, I realized that you were serious. You're more likely to carry legally in the White House than in Nazi Jersey.

thumbnail.aspx

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Last I heard, possession of hollow point bullets in NJ will get you time too. It has been a while though since I was up on NJ firearms laws. I haven't been there in almost 20 years. No plans to go back either.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    New Jersey has absolutely gone over the deep end. It's an evil state.

We get Jersey residents coming into the gun shops here frequently, but they are (for the most part) resigned to window shopping and fantasizing about guns they can't have.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Freeman's Guide to State Carry Freedom: If a state dresses their cops like they are ready to invade Poland, you are likely prohibited from carrying there.

Since Carmel gave you New Jesey, here is Massachusetts (uber alles):

statepolicechief1210jpg-4263a1a1f5dbe50b_large.jpg

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Freeman's Guide to State Carry Freedom: If a state dresses their cops like they are ready to invade Poland, you are likely prohibited from carrying there.

Good Gawd! She better watch the clock cuz she might be late for goose stepping practice :n00b:

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY

Is that seriously a Mass Of Two :poop:'s State Troop? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    ^ correct. But how do you safely transport in NYC/NJ without the risk of getting arrested? Not worth it. I can tell you that my SA was on high all week. ;)

Top Bottom