• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Maybe it's time to revisit our reciprocity with Ohio then.

That would be a kick in the dick at best. And not only would it not work, since laws don't stop criminals, but you would be forcing people who probably dont agree with the law (and are misrepresented by their government) to be unable to protect themselves. I'm not a bleeding heart but that isn't right IMHO. I sure as hell don't agree with a lot of things that are going on in Indy and wouldn't want someone in ohio consider me to be an a**hat just because of laws/policies here.

:patriot:

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Just found that this went to the Gov on the 19th and he has till the 31st to sign it. Does anybody know where to find out what was kept in the bill and what was removed?

Last edited:

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Doesn't include the reciprocity with other states, but the issue "is promised to be addressed early in the next session..." just so this part can get passed for the state residents during this session of legislature.

We're getting closer & closer...

Also heard something about IL having their firearms law struck down as unconstitutional by the state courts.

wild willy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Modifies the definition of a loaded firearm in a vehicle. Currently, a firearm is considered loaded if a loaded magazine is present in the vehicle, even if the magazine is not inserted into the firearm. HB 495 further clarifies the definition in current law to give gun owners various options for storing loaded magazines during transport.

Am I not understanding this? Are people with CC permits not permitted to carry loaded guns in their cars?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Modifies the definition of a loaded firearm in a vehicle. Currently, a firearm is considered loaded if a loaded magazine is present in the vehicle, even if the magazine is not inserted into the firearm. HB 495 further clarifies the definition in current law to give gun owners various options for storing loaded magazines during transport.

Am I not understanding this? Are people with CC permits not permitted to carry loaded guns in their cars?

I've not read the new law yet, but under the law as it stood prior to that, those without a recognized state permission slip of some kind could transport a firearm in their vehicle, but no rounds could be in a mag that would fit the firearm. This would apply to those who OC without a license/permit, which is legal there, or to those without a license/permit transporting through the state. A holder of an IN LTCH would have to transport in this manner, barring some other permission slip.

A holder of a license or permit they recognize would be able to carry, concealed or openly, without worrying about that restriction.

Hope that helps!

Blessings,
    Bill

wild willy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    I've not read the new law yet, but under the law as it stood prior to that, those without a recognized state permission slip of some kind could transport a firearm in their vehicle, but no rounds could be in a mag that would fit the firearm. This would apply to those who OC without a license/permit, which is legal there, or to those without a license/permit transporting through the state. A holder of an IN LTCH would have to transport in this manner, barring some other permission slip.

A holder of a license or permit they recognize would be able to carry, concealed or openly, without worrying about that restriction.

Hope that helps!

Blessings,
    Bill

Thank you. So as a Resident of PA with a CC permit....I can OC in Ohio?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Not on your PA permit, no.

According to USACarry.com:
    Ohio Honors Permits from these States:
    Alaska, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming

There is some question whether an AZ permit would suffice. By the letter of OH's law, no, it would not, however, the attorney general of the state said it would be accepted. Until it's in writing, if I go to OH, I'll carry on my Utah permit.

Blessings,
    Bill

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI

Not on your PA permit, no.

According to USACarry.com:
    Ohio Honors Permits from these States:
    Alaska, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming

There is some question whether an AZ permit would suffice. By the letter of OH's law, no, it would not, however, the attorney general of the state said it would be accepted. Until it's in writing, if I go to OH, I'll carry on my Utah permit.

Blessings,
    Bill

To start IANAL but, OH is an Open carry state no permit/license needed even for non residents. However in a vehicle even in plain sight it is considered concealed so know the laws.
    Start here http://handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Question about this, my dad works in Ohio right now, and swears up and down Ohio recognizes the Indiana ltch. He says Ohio state police told him. Any truth to this? References please.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I knew it just wanted some proof
    Handgunlaw is one reference. You can also look at USACarry.com.

However, if you want it directly from the horse's backside:

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...-Carry/Concealed-Carry-Reciprocity-Agreements

Concealed Carry Reciprocity Agreements

Ohio law gives the Attorney General the right to negotiate concealed carry handgun reciprocity agreements with other states.
    Under such agreements, Ohio and other states agree to respect each other's concealed carry laws and recognize each other's permit holders.
    In assessing whether to enter a reciprocity agreement, the Attorney General must determine if another state's concealed carry law and requirements are "substantially comparable" to Ohio's.
    Ohio has reciprocity agreements with the following states. Click on the state name for more details about the agreement.

Alaska Arizona Arkansas Delaware
    Florida Idaho Kansas Kentucky
    Louisiana Michigan Missouri New Mexico
    North Carolina North Dakota Nebraska Oklahoma
    South Carolina Tennessee Utah Virginia
    Washington West Virginia Wyoming

Polished515

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Muncie
    I really hope this goes through and the sooner the better. I visit a cousin in Ohio fairly often and it just doesn't feel right not being able to carry on my person.

Top Bottom