• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Was reading through the carry at the BMV thread and got to reading the Indiana State Police site regarding the rules we are to follow.

Came across the rules covering the school. Now I knew that we are allowed to carry if we are dropping or picking someone up, but then I re-read it.

School Property
    IC 35-47-9
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses
    IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    35-47-9-1 Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school
    function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any
    other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to
    transport another person to or from a school or a school function.

The underlined validates the dropoff/pickup rule, but when I read the bolded, that tells me as a person who is legally licensed and carrying, that I should be able to carry my gun on school grounds outside of my car. This list is the list of exceptions to the rule.

How do you interpret the law?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip

(A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to
    transport another person to or from a school or a school function.

The underlined validates the dropoff/pickup rule, but when I read the bolded, that tells me as a person who is legally licensed and carrying, that I should be able to carry my gun on school grounds outside of my car. This list is the list of exceptions to the rule.

How do you interpret the law?

The bolded and bigged "and" & "in" makes all the difference in the world. I can't see anything that allows you to get out of your car. You can have your gun if you are legally allowed to carry (have your LTCF) AND possess it IN a motor vehicle, etc., etc. IOW, the way I read it is the normal interpretation. You can drop off and pick up, but may NOT get out of your car at the school with the gun while doing so.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    The bolded and bigged "and" & "in" makes all the difference in the world. I can't see anything that allows you to get out of your car. You can have your gun if you are legally allowed to carry (have your LTCF) AND possess it IN a motor vehicle, etc., etc. IOW, the way I read it is the normal interpretation. You can drop off and pick up, but may NOT get out of your car at the school with the gun while doing so.

I called the ISP and spoke to a LT there.

The AND combines the two, but it would have been easier to have just made it one sentence.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana

I called the ISP and spoke to a LT there.

The AND combines the two, but it would have been easier to have just made it one sentence.

Although that is true, by the methods of their writing laws they seem to use this format for adding conditions.
    i.e.(A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    transport another person to or from a school or a school function. OR
    (c) Firearm is locked in a motor vehicle while the operator is outside the vehicle for any other purpose. AND
    (c).subsection 1 The vehicle containing the firearm must also be locked to prevent accidental entry by unauthorized persons.

PhantomJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Gun Free Zones,do you think the bad guys obey these laws?

Criminal--> A person who is guilty of breaking the law; Being against the law; Guilty of breaking the law; Of or relating to crime

Based on this definition of criminal, I think mostly they obey all the laws and posted signs concerning weapons:rolleyes:..................oh wait, I have a brain, I'd have to guess they probably disobey the law.:dunno:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Yup. In addition, you cannot exit the vehicle even if you leave the gun in it. Not if it's unloaded. Not if it's in the trunk. Not if it's got a lock through the action, another through the barrel, the firing pin is removed, and all the ammo is locked up separately. If you're on school property, have a gun with you, and you're not behind the wheel, operating the vehicle, you are violating the law (barring the circumstance of you being a LEO or hired by the school to provide security.)

Important point because there was someone convicted of exactly this. He drove someone to the school, then parked at the loading dock, leaving his pistol in the car, on the seat in plain sight, where it was seen and he was arrested for violating this law. No way to bargain it down to a misdemeanor, either.

Word to the wise. :oldwise:

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom