• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoNavy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    So Im going back to finish my degree. Is a private college considered "school property" as in one of the places I'm not allowed to carry? I'd rather not ask the admissions department at the school if I can carry on a gun on their property

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    no one can carry on school property PERIOD. unless you are a LEO, and even at that you must be on duty to carry on school property.
    that would be a :nono:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It's legal to carry there, under the IC a college is not a school.
    It's probably against their rules but not against the law as long as you have a LTCH.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    There is no LAW prohibiting you from carrying on a college campus. But the school may have a POLICY against it. There is a difference. Act accordingly. ;)

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I guess I am wrong AGAIN! I thought it was any school in the state of indiana.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../35644-indiana_college_campus_carry_laws.html
    this may help

The IC applies to K-12 grade schools.

From your link:

Further, there is case law that says "school property" does not include Universities.
    Quote:
    As there are no Indiana Supreme Court cases on point, we should follow Lawrence unless there is some compelling reason not to do so. The rationale of that case is that as common usage differentiates between schools and colleges or universities, the marijuana statute ( IC 35-48-4-10 (b)(2)(B) should be strictly construed. The words "school property" do not include a college or university.

Pridgeon v. State, 569 N.E.2d 722, 724 (Ind. Ct. App. 1991)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's legal to carry there, under the IC a college is not a school.
    It's probably against their rules but not against the law as long as you have a LTCH.

There is no LAW prohibiting you from carrying on a college campus. But the school may have a POLICY against it. There is a difference. Act accordingly. ;)

^^^^^What they said^^^^^

Plus since it's probably a condition of being admitted, you agreed to follow all of their rules, policies, etc., a failure on your part may lead to disciplinary actions.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    You can legally carry, but there is some weird day-care rule, you can't carry there if there is a daycare that is required to be licensed. 99.99 % chance you cannot carry there per university policy though, even though you legally can
    Even an illegally operated, unlicensed daycare counts as a daycare as well, since it is required to be licensed. Private universities are private property, so it is the same as a store, they can make their own policies.
    A public college campus SHOULD fall under the state preemption law, but it doesn't. It needs to be changed.
    Don't OC, you will be expelled, and good luck getting into another college.
    CC is CC, as long as you do it right, nobody will know.
    So far so good here. ( Not admitting anything, and not stating where I go to school, in case the administrators are INGO members, hehe )

GoNavy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    You can legally carry, but there is some weird day-care rule, you can't carry there if there is a daycare that is required to be licensed. 99.99 % chance you cannot carry there per university policy though, even though you legally can
    Even an illegally operated, unlicensed daycare counts as a daycare as well, since it is required to be licensed. Private universities are private property, so it is the same as a store, they can make their own policies.
    A public college campus SHOULD fall under the state preemption law, but it doesn't. It needs to be changed.
    So far so good here. ( Not admitting anything, and not stating where I go to school, in case the administrators are INGO members, hehe )

thanks for the info. i never OC. pretty much dont want the attention but even if i did never would at school

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You can legally carry, but there is some weird day-care rule, you can't carry there if there is a daycare that is required to be licensed. 99.99 % chance you cannot carry there per university policy. Even an illegally operated, unlicensed daycare counts as a daycare as well, since it is required to be licensed. Private universities are private property, so it is the same as a store, they can make their own policies.

We actually have at least one INGO member who is a school principal.
    He authorized himself to carry on school property, making it legal for him. :yesway:

I wish more smart people would do that, it could actually be legal for any teacher or staff members to carry in school.

IC 35-47-9
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses

<A name=IC35-47-9-0.1>IC 35-47-9-0.1
    Repealed
    (Repealed by P.L.63-2012, SEC.78.)

<A name=IC35-47-9-1>IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school

Top Bottom