• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cintile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    I've been seeing articles talking about a bill to allow carry on College Campuses in Indiana. I was under the impression that this was already legal? I thought the law was only against public schools. Anyone able to clear this up?

Thanks

cintile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    So the point of the bill is to prevent campuses from stopping students and employees from carrying. But state law does not prevent it? That's the understanding I had, but wanted to see what others understanding was.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I believe the bill is to have STATE colleges/universities follow STATE law, and not have their own policies. Much like the local preemption that is in place today (that Colleges are excluded from).

Private schools would still be able to have any policy they want.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I believe the bill is to have STATE colleges/universities follow STATE law, and not have their own policies. Much like the local preemption that is in place today (that Colleges are excluded from).

Private schools would still be able to have any policy they want.

So this would apply to IUPUI? It would if it does what you say it does. They need to get this expedited.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I believe the bill is to have STATE colleges/universities follow STATE law, and not have their own policies. Much like the local preemption that is in place today (that Colleges are excluded from). ...

Makes perfect sense to me - especially since the large state colleges/universities already act like little municipalities in many ways with their own police forces, etc.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Legal yes but if caught with a firearm on campus you WILL get expelled and for students that basically makes it de facto illegal. Pain in my ass is what it is, only place I cannot carry is school and I am there the most it sucks. Even tried asking the Chancellor of the school (IUK) about having that rule changed since I am the Student Body Vice President and she just spouted off some **** about Bloomington being worried about liability.

Then I went to ask Bloomington and they said its a liability issue and they do not want alcohol and firearms mixed. They quit talking when I asked them if they acknowledged the under age drinking that goes on in their campus.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    It is a little ridiculous.

I feel this way about pretty much all gun free zones -- If you can't reasonably guarantee my safety (visible/omnipresent guards and metal detectors would be a good start, etc), then let me take care of it.

IF it were ever a possibility, I would even meet them halfway. For example, by bowing to some of the concerns about not being qualified --> I would be willing to shoot the exact same qualification as any police officer from IUPD, BPD, etc. and provide documentation on training, etc. If I need 10 hrs of instruction and 20 hrs of range time, let me show that I'm willing to do it. I would be willing to jump through extra hoops, even though I hate the principle of it

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I'll just carry a piece anyway....If I ever have to use it it will be an active shooter situation and It'll me life or death, and if they want to expel me I'll see if I can get an attorney to fight for a civil suite against them. They are not going to protect you.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    The way I see it, the chance of something happening is low...but the chance I'll care more about my education than my life is much, much lower.

hdrenollet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2016
    South Indy/Greenwood
    I'll just carry a piece anyway....If I ever have to use it it will be an active shooter situation and It'll me life or death, and if they want to expel me I'll see if I can get an attorney to fight for a civil suite against them. They are not going to protect you.

I feel this way about most of the places that you're "not supposed to" carry... they won't ever know unless there's a very serious life-or-death situation, in which case, I'll deal with the repercussions after I live through the situation.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I feel this way about most of the places that you're "not supposed to" carry... they won't ever know unless there's a very serious life-or-death situation, in which case, I'll deal with the repercussions after I live through the situation.

right....and I feel like after a situation like that, if you had to use your firearm, and it saved a life, then the odds are in your favor regardless of their stuipid ass policy.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    I keep telling my buddy who's still in university to carry one holstered in his backback. No way to accidentally print.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    And (predictably) up pops the conical head of the self-appointed mental giant of academe - Don?t allow guns on campus

M O R O N ALERT.

Yeah buddy, because if you've really pissed off a colleague or student, no rule is going to stop them bringing a gun on campus...

Golly gee wilikers, I really wanted to blow my professor's brains out, but I just remembered, I am not suppose to have a gun on campus, guess It'll have to wait....

I swear these people are so ****ing stupid. I get that you don't want NDs on campus, but his logic is way off. He doesn't even mention that. Goes to show its all based around fear. He thinks he's safe in his "gun free zone"

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I keep telling my buddy who's still in university to carry one holstered in his backback. No way to accidentally print.
    I'd advise against off body carry. It's too easy to be separated from your backpack. If printing is a concern I'd just deep conceal with a SmartCarry holster or ankle gun. As it is, I carry AIWB and don't have printing issues.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I'd advise against off body carry. It's too easy to be separated from your backpack. If printing is a concern I'd just deep conceal with a SmartCarry holster or ankle gun. As it is, I carry AIWB and don't have printing issues.

Yeah, on the body. I keep mine in my pocket, looks like a cell phone.

20160106_153644.jpg

Tooms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Johnson County
    It is just school policies limiting guns. IUPUI put the entire campus on lock down once because there was "a man walking around with a long gun". It turned out a student just saw a rifle or shotgun in a guys trunk when he was getting his other belongings out of his car trunk.

Top Bottom