• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    Are there any really good websites or apps that list carry friendly businesses? Most of the ones I have found either do not list much about any business in my area or are outdated and only show non-2nd amendment businesses. I am guessing there isn't just by judging on how many questions are asked about businesses on the forum here. Thanks for any help.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Have you tried the apps: "CCW" or "Posted!" or "Gun Free Zone"? I have those loaded up on my phone but honestly, I don't use them. The good thing about southern Indiana is there just aren't that many gun free zones.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Have you tried the apps: "CCW" or "Posted!" or "Gun Free Zone"? I have those loaded up on my phone but honestly, I don't use them. The good thing about southern Indiana is there just aren't that many gun free zones.
    I had the posted! one, it depends on the app users to actually add business's to the list. I found I never used it anyway. Don't carry in the courthouse, don't carry to the school, my bank is cool so no worries there, everybody else can speak up or keep their mouth shut. I carry everywhere except where it's actually illegal.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I don't want to know where they don't want me to carry, I only disarm when it is legally required. If they have a non binding sign I either cover or turn around and walk away.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    Look for an app In Google play or I store called ( 2nd vote ) its a great app and gives you company insight on more than just the 2A

Thanks! I will check it out.

Thanks, I will check these out as well. I have only seen one sign which was at IMA/Premiere Healthcare. Someone either told me about the sign there or I saw it on here and that's the only way I noticed it. A coworker was asked to either cover his gun or put it in his car when he open carried at Panera in Bloomington.

I had the posted! one, it depends on the app users to actually add business's to the list. I found I never used it anyway. Don't carry in the courthouse, don't carry to the school, my bank is cool so no worries there, everybody else can speak up or keep their mouth shut. I carry everywhere except where it's actually illegal.

A friend told me "just don't carry where it is illegal and where it is legal to carry, keep it covered".

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    A friend told me "just don't carry where it is illegal and where it is legal to carry, keep it covered".
    that's sound advice. Just remember, if they find you out and ask you to take it to the car or ask you to leave and you don't you're trespassing. I carry a full size M&P and I've never been outed, of course I don't think many really care around here. Most people don't pay enough attention to even the most obvious. Hell I've started going to Walmart without pants... Talking about OC'ing!

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    that's sound advice. Just remember, if they find you out and ask you to take it to the car or ask you to leave and you don't you're trespassing. I carry a full size M&P and I've never been outed, of course I don't think many really care around here. Most people don't pay enough attention to even the most obvious. Hell I've started going to Walmart without pants... Talking about OC'ing!

I think the biggest thing for me is getting used to carrying. In the winter it was easy since I had a shirt and coat covering my gun. I went into work one day ( everyone but one guy has their LTCH ) while carrying and they didn't see it or know until I asked if they could.
    Was this you? :):

6150.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Thanks! I will check it out.

Thanks, I will check these out as well. I have only seen one sign which was at IMA/Premiere Healthcare. Someone either told me about the sign there or I saw it on here and that's the only way I noticed it. A coworker was asked to either cover his gun or put it in his car when he open carried at Panera in Bloomington.

I think the only businesses, open to the public, down here in Lawrence county, that I've seen posted are the hospitals, their out buildings, and some financial institution--Green Leaf or Green Light Financial.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I think the biggest thing for me is getting used to carrying. In the winter it was easy since I had a shirt and coat covering my gun. I went into work one day ( everyone but one guy has their LTCH ) while carrying and they didn't see it or know until I asked if they could.
    Was this you? :):

View attachment 45924
    no way man! I never wear flip flops, no foot protection... I prefer good leather boots, work or western.

The biggest thing is to just keep carrying. It's uncomfortable for most when they start out. You feel like everyone is staring at you and any minute the Jack boots are going to swarm you and haul you away... Well, it most likely ain't gonna happen if your not carrying in a school or some other area that is actually illegal. Hell, people will walk right into doors or drive into the front of a store cause they can't put their phone down, the odds of them noticing a lump under your shirt is slim. Of course if they do, be polite, be professional, and have a plan to kill everyone you meet. I believe that bit of advice belongs to the U.S. Marine Corps.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    no way man! I never wear flip flops, no foot protection... I prefer good leather boots, work or western.

The biggest thing is to just keep carrying. It's uncomfortable for most when they start out. You feel like everyone is staring at you and any minute the Jack boots are going to swarm you and haul you away... Well, it most likely ain't gonna happen if your not carrying in a school or some other area that is actually illegal. Hell, people will walk right into doors or drive into the front of a store cause they can't put their phone down, the odds of them noticing a lump under your shirt is slim. Of course if they do, be polite, be professional, and have a plan to kill everyone you meet. I believe that bit of advice belongs to the U.S. Marine Corps.

That is pretty much how I feel too a T. I wound up going to four different stores yesterday while carrying. I have to remember to adjust my shirt tail just before I get out of the car instead of once I am outside the car. The "driving into the front of a store" is fitting as we have had that happen more than a couple of times here in Bloomington in the past 6 months or so but I think they were older drivers. Once I got my LTCH, I tried to read up on all the laws, recommendations from members here, and just pretty much try to keep the mindset of being a responsible gun owner.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    That is pretty much how I feel too a T. I wound up going to four different stores yesterday while carrying. I have to remember to adjust my shirt tail just before I get out of the car instead of once I am outside the car. The "driving into the front of a store" is fitting as we have had that happen more than a couple of times here in Bloomington in the past 6 months or so but I think they were older drivers. Once I got my LTCH, I tried to read up on all the laws, recommendations from members here, and just pretty much try to keep the mindset of being a responsible gun owner.
    Bloomington is a different animal than my neck of the woods, much more liberal leanings, but it's still Indiana, don't worry about it, I know it doesn't feel natural, but most won't notice unless you give them a reason to. I read once that most people are so caught up in worrying about their own flaws they don't take time to notice other's flaws, just fix your shirt like normal, and don't go out of your way to quarter away from people or not stand next to people, basically don't act like you have something to hide. If people do see it and say something, just remember you're going to determine the way that person looks at gun owners, within reason. If your polite and courteous, it will leave a positive impression, if you start in **** you, it's might right you libtard, go to hell! That's gonna leave a lasting negative impression about gun owners with that person. I try to be more courteous when I carry, just to help enforce the fact that legal gun owners are good people just like anybody else. I've had 0 issues.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Why are you guys afraid of someone seeing your handgun?
    to each his own, I don't care if you open carry or choose to conceal. I just don't see the big deal if someone else happens to see it.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Nice signature Frosty!

well said Frosty. When I first started carrying I felt the all eyes where on me. After a week or two I didn't feel that way. The only ones who might see you print are the ones who carry. Others, like has been said, are too caught up in the their own little world to notice.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    Why are you guys afraid of someone seeing your handgun?
    to each his own, I don't care if you open carry or choose to conceal. I just don't see the big deal if someone else happens to see it.

I am not afraid of people seeing my gun, I would just prefer that they not see it. I carry a 1911 and even guys I work with who are gun owners themselves are a little apprehensive about seeing a gun carried cocked and locked ( they carry striker fired guns and have not really looked much at the 1911). While I support the right to bear arms and for people to be able to carry their handgun, I am a non-confrontational person and would prefer not to call any attention to myself. If someone sees it while I am carrying and asks me to leave their business, I will do so but again, I would prefer that they not see it at all. I know that this may not be possible 100% of the time.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Trust me when I say this: whether you carry concealed or openly, very few will notice. I openly carry all the time, unless I'm carrying my Glock 43. The main people to notice are people with children. The child points it out and mom/dad say whatever about it. I'm not "more courteous" when I carry, only because I treat people with respect all the time. (No offense Frosty) People are sir and ma'am, Mr and Mrs with me. It's the way I was raised. If I were anymore courteous, someone would think I was being sarcastic. Cocked and locked doesn't matter to most either. A gun is a gun is a gun is a gun. I've carried 1911s, SIG Sauers, and Glocks. No one freaks out more because of what you carry.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Trust me when I say this: whether you carry concealed or openly, very few will notice. I openly carry all the time, unless I'm carrying my Glock 43. The main people to notice are people with children. The child points it out and mom/dad say whatever about it. I'm not "more courteous" when I carry, only because I treat people with respect all the time. (No offense Frosty) People are sir and ma'am, Mr and Mrs with me. It's the way I was raised. If I were anymore courteous, someone would think I was being sarcastic. Cocked and locked doesn't matter to most either. A gun is a gun is a gun is a gun. I've carried 1911s, SIG Sauers, and Glocks. No one freaks out more because of what you carry.
    No offense taken... I'm an ******* most of the time:):

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I'm in EMS so I try very hard to be courteous. There are a few people who after hearing what they have to say, lose my patience and my courteousness.
    I can see where that would be a big plus in some situations you'd be involved in. We lost my dad to a heart attack in 2012, given the emotion of the moment I don't think a rude medic would have gone over very well.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    It was a real eye opener (no pun intended) for me to make a conscious decision to go out shopping one day and deliberately try to make eye contact with people. They really aren't looking, and even more so, are trying NOT to. They seem to be focused on what they're looking to buy, where their kids are, and not bumping into you relying on peripheral vision. If you catch someone actually looking at you, they generally look away as soon as you notice them. Sometimes you get the "hey" nod, and the rare instance will be a polite "how's it going?".

It's the same thing as looking at yourself in the mirror and seeing a bit of a print that to you screams "GUN"!!! but you know exactly where it is.

Top Bottom