• ...and so much more!
  • AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    A bit of a side track, yet related...

What about a 12 gauge less lethal round. I realize the idea is to neutralize the threat and that a less lethal round is specifically designed to reduce the occurrence of death. BUT, as with anything else, shot placement would have a big effect as to how well the bean bag or rubber round could neutralize the threat. I don't see how a 3-4 shot volley wouldn't reduce the threat without endangering bystanders.

exhibit A

ALS Technologies, Inc. - ALS1201

exhibit B

ALS Technologies, Inc. - ALS1202

I know the OP doesn't mention owning a shotgun but for others who have neighbors living in apartments next to them it may be a good alternative.

AJB

clyde

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Disposable Heart is correct, in my opinion. The Glasers and Magsafes, as well as less than lethal, are not for the home defender. If you ever need to use a gun to defend yourself, well, it's life threatening. Less than lethal are usually used by police or other groups of people who are backed up by even larger groups of people who are certainly better armed in case things get out of control. Disposable has the right idea, me thinks. Keep it light for caliber, and fast, very fast. Any structural damage will also impart itself on the projectile. Honestly, a 12ga. shotgun with light buck is probably the best option.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Spear Gold Dot. When I carried a .40 at work, that as the duty ammo that was issued to me. I never heard of it before then and after reading up on it, I was pretty impressed.

Also, this may be better for another thread but, Personally for your home, it sounds to me like a 12ga with #4 shells would be your best bet. You can pick up a Remington 870 pretty cheap or a Mossberg 500 even cheaper. Just food for thought.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I do keep a Winchester model 12-12 ga next to my bed but generally my .40 is with me in every room. A majority of the time I fall asleep on the couch anyway so the shotgun may not be an option

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Defence Ammo

:patriot: When I choose SD Ammo I worry about stopping power first and over penatration second. I have Gold Dots, Hydro Shocks, and some SXT's for my 45. Most pistol rounds don't have enough energy left to cause serious damage after going through two sheets of dry wall Seen a couple of demo on SD TV shows. But I'd still keep over penatraion on my mind If I had to shoot. Best thing is to have a plan in place for your home to avoid the shoot. But If you have to you want to make shure the perp can't be talking afterwords!

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I would humbly suggest three loads: .40 S&W

1. Cor-Bon 135 Gr. HP. Up close, this round is like dynamite. Another PD
    had a bad guy who opened up on the boys in blue from close range
    a .38, missed them both, and for his trouble, caught one Cor Bon in
    chest at a downward angle. The second round was point blank in the
    noggin and that round appeared to have detonated in the skull. No
    "overpenetration" problem whatsoever. In fact, the forensic
    pathologist's assistant asked about the round in question so he could
    get some for his Glock. I personally saw the X-rays of the
    perpetrator's head. Excedrin Headache #135.

2. Remington Golden Saber 165 gr. HP. Round works well on more heavily
    clothed perpetrators.

3. Winchester Ranger SXT, unknown bullet weight. Round appears to
    perform like the old "Black Talon" round, minus the Lubaloy coating.

Not to sound silly or patronizing, but if one hits their target adequately, "overpenetration" is not an issue. Putting steel on target is the primary consideration.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    rmabrey, one thought for "apartment safe" ammo for your shotgun would be birdshot. at 'across a room' distances it should still be lethal but wouldn't go far through a stick built building.
    If you still want to do any tests on mag-safe on penetration after coats etc. there is a do-it-yourself-ballistic-gel-in-a-tube. I don't remember the name of the product, but I recall Ayoob mentioning that it was similar to the ballistic lab stuff, in an article of his.
    As far as stopping power goes, it's more about shot placement and how much adrenaline or drugs the BG has in his system. Any deer hunter or soldier can tell stories about failures to stop (immediately) with slugs or rifle bullets!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I live in an apartment, and my .40 is loaded with 180 grain Magtech JHP. Obviousaly I do not want to round to go into someone elses apartment. However I want any threat stoped. That's my main concern, is my life.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    IMO ,My concern has always been the stopping potential and my accuracy under stress.
    If both of those are adequate, the other should be minimal.
    I always, from years ago experience, if required to act, act when the percentages were best in my favor. Sometimes that level of control does not exist. But you can still look for that even in the moment of time. mental training overcomes most anything else. IMO

clyde

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Excedrin Headache #135.

Now that paints the picture. I hope you don't mind if I use that one from time to time.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Is this sufficient enough for everyday carry as well as self defense in an apartment.

For all the reasons stated and then some. NO. Take a long look at firearmstactical & as a side note you'll see there is plenty of cause to distrust anything from Marshal & Sanow. For those who like to take pot shots a ballistic gel - it's used because it simulates human flesh better anything else they have come up with. All we can ask of a bullet is adequate penetration and expansion; no one can predict how a given individual will react to being shot. Percentages of one shot stops and all of that is just so much nonsense - be aware, have a plan, be proficient with your weapon - all this is so much more important than if it's 9mm or 45 or....

Top Bottom