• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JustOneMore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Franklin
    The wife and i stopped at the bar the other night to have a drink and a little dinner. well one thing led to another and we decided to stay for a while. So as a rule i will not drink more than one or two and carry, so i retreated the the parking lot to lock my XD in the car. When i returned a buddy told me that it was against the law to carry in a bar??? I had been told this once before from a guy i know that does not carry at all and is lucky to be able to tie his own shoes so i didnt put much thought into it. The second one i trust so now i am confused.

I have searched and have read alot but cannot find a deffinitive answer.

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I'm new at all this but I believe you buddy is correct. I think they don't like the mix of Firearms and liquor....I could be wrong.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    In Indiana, you can legally carry everywhere except, where posted by the property owner, a school, and on federal property, like a post office.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    According to HandgunLaw.us' document on Indiana, (PDF, click here to view), carry in restaurants that serve alcohol IS legal. IANAL.

Indiana respects one's right to make that decision by one's self.

Caleb

ETA - sheesh! I thought I was replying quickly! 4 people still beat me to it.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Your friend may have had some basis for his statement - it's definitely illegal even walk into a bar in Ohio while carrying a weapon. It's typically posted right next to their liquor license.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Thank you for the quick responce.

The Texas reference is kind of an inside-INGO joke, made popular by Kirk Freeman, about folks always mis-quoting Indiana gun law, when in fact they are quoting silly carry laws from other states.

+1 for you being responsible enough to know when its time to lock her up. :yesway:

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    In Indiana, you can legally carry everywhere except, where posted by the property owner, a school, and on federal property, like a post office.

Actually, you can carry at a school to pick someone up/drop someone off if you don't exit your vehicle.

Also, you can carry where a property owner has a sign that says you can't. It isn't illegal - it is just against their rules. The most they can do is ask you to leave and have you arrested for trespassing if you don't. Most people conceal their firearm in places like this.

The post office one...well...my interpretation of the law is that you can carry there, but I'm not going to be the test subject.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    And I stand corrected....Thanks!

Ps: Is there a link to that law...a friend of mine was arguing with me that you couldn't carry and I finally gave up and believed him.

Laws aren't written to make things legal, they're written to make things illegal. There is no law that says it's legal to carry in a bar. The onus is on him to show you the (nonexistent) law saying it's illegal.

For your reference, here are all the (relevant) Indiana statutes regarding guns.

Indiana Code TITLE 35, Article 47 Table of Contents

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Actually, you can carry at a school to pick someone up/drop someone off if you don't exit your vehicle.

Also, you can carry where a property owner has a sign that says you can't. It isn't illegal - it is just against their rules. The most they can do is ask you to leave and have you arrested for trespassing if you don't. Most people conceal their firearm in places like this.

The post office one...well...my interpretation of the law is that you can carry there, but I'm not going to be the test subject.

Actually they can arrest you just based on a sign. I posted the statute under the Tuchman Cleaners thread.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Hey Scut, do you have the "onus" lecture copied somewhere so you can just paste it every time? lol

Top Bottom