Canada Walleye/Northern Tackle Suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Well, they won't carry you quite as far !

BTW, take a pair of thin gloves. I have fished in wet snow in September and your enthusiasm to fight the elements to catch fish can award you with a pair of hands that are useless at the end of the day. Keep an eye on them too. Gloves have a tendency to disappear in those circumstances.

I'll definitely pack some gloves. Sock hat as well.

Speaking to the fellow INGOer, he said they've added a solar powered pump and shower in the cabin. That'll definitely make things smell better!

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've caught some walleye on lindy rigs, jigs with worm or minnow, worm harnesses, and bottom walkers. But seems to me when the walleye are finicky, I've had my best luck getting their attention with a plain old #6 aberdeen hook, with a night crawler hooked through the end but back over the point of the hook as to make it "weedless". No leader (appears more natural to the fish that way), but add a sinker if necessary to get it on the bottom. 6 or 8 pound test line. Simple, but effective.

Last edited:

2001FZ1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indy
    Yes, second week of September. We picked then hoping the bugs won't carry us off.

The mosquitos will be about like they are in Indiana when you are in the woods at dusk.....not much fun. However, the black flies are done which are 100 times worse. If you ever seen pics from up north and the guys have their pants tucked into their socks and then taped, the black flies are biting.

Well, I got to googling and found a guy who posted about Schewabic on lawnsite.com. His username looked familiar and his location was listed as Bloomington. I pm'd him here and got in touch with him and talked to him on the phone for over 30 minutes. He's been a great help and it's great to talk to someone who's actually been to the lake I'm going to. I'll send him a link to this thread in case he wants to chime in. Thanks again!

Thanks for the link. I read through several pages and it seems like you are getting lots of advice on how to fish. Some people swear the only way to catch walleye is with a night crawler harness and jig or slow troll. To each his own I guess. If the crank baits are working well, its what we use. Some weeks, we never break out the worms. Some years they are after the chrome/black colored baits and you will land 10 walleye in the evening with it and by the end of the night the chrome has all been peeled off with their teeth. Another year, all they will hit are the worms so you better have some.

The important thing about pike is that they hit everything. Top water, bottom bouncers, jigs, jointed rapalas, spoons....it doesn't matter. They hit it. I have even had them hit small perch as I'm reeling it in. I almost always use steel leaders. I don't like loosing a $4 bait to a cut line.

We played a game a couple years ago: Catch a pike and you have to change your bait. First one to run through the top layer of the tackle box wins. Last year the small pike almost became annoying but still fun.

2001FZ1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indy
    Yes, second week of September. We picked then hoping the bugs won't carry us off.

I'll definitely pack some gloves. Sock hat as well.

Speaking to the fellow INGOer, he said they've added a solar powered pump and shower in the cabin. That'll definitely make things smell better!

A quick hot shower at night makes sleeping so much better. Tell your friends to take quick showers so you don't drain the battery running the pump.
    And turning the knob at the sink to get water is soooo much better than taking a 5-gallong bucket to the end of the dock for water. The water is clean enough to drink but you need to boil it first. It will taste different but not bad, just take tea, koolaid or what ever. No sense in paying for an extra heavy load on the plane to just bring in water. However, I would bring 1 large bottle of water per person for the first day unless you are a fan of hot koolaid.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The mosquitos will be about like they are in Indiana when you are in the woods at dusk.....not much fun. However, the black flies are done which are 100 times worse. If you ever seen pics from up north and the guys have their pants tucked into their socks and then taped, the black flies are biting.

Thanks for the link. I read through several pages and it seems like you are getting lots of advice on how to fish. Some people swear the only way to catch walleye is with a night crawler harness and jig or slow troll. To each his own I guess. If the crank baits are working well, its what we use. Some weeks, we never break out the worms. Some years they are after the chrome/black colored baits and you will land 10 walleye in the evening with it and by the end of the night the chrome has all been peeled off with their teeth. Another year, all they will hit are the worms so you better have some.

The important thing about pike is that they hit everything. Top water, bottom bouncers, jigs, jointed rapalas, spoons....it doesn't matter. They hit it. I have even had them hit small perch as I'm reeling it in. I almost always use steel leaders. I don't like loosing a $4 bait to a cut line.

We played a game a couple years ago: Catch a pike and you have to change your bait. First one to run through the top layer of the tackle box wins. Last year the small pike almost became annoying but still fun.

I'll just plan on using a leader at all times. I'll take a little bit of every kind of tackle so hopefully I'll have everything covered.

I've heard about the black flies as well. I'm planning on getting a head net to wear if the bugs are really bad.

2001FZ1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indy
    Just saw these in my garage and thought I would share:
    COLEMAN MOSQUITO COIL: Camping : Walmart.com

They work great at killing the mosquitos! No one likes to be sitting in the out house taking of business are having those things buzzing your head. Light one, come back 5 mins later and then get the job done sting free. And the added bonus is it covers up the normal smell of out house.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Out on the water the Black flies aren't so much of a problem and that late in the year you probably won't see any. In April, after a fresh hatch, I've seen a guy's jeans look like moving Corduroy.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It will taste different but not bad, just take tea, koolaid or what ever.

I tried those Mio water additives. They work AWESOME, and you only need about 1/2 what they recommend. I gave my 8 oz bottle a squirt as recommended and it was like drinking a melted ice pop. By the end of my adding more water to dillute it, I was using 50-60% of what they recommend. You can use even less if you like the subtle taste of those flavored waters where there is just a hint of fruit instead of something like fruit punch. The bottle says "24 8 oz servings" so personally I could get at least 40, maybe 60 depending.

the black flies are done which are 100 times worse. If you ever seen pics from up north and the guys have their pants tucked into their socks and then taped, the black flies are biting.

If you have room, do me a favor and take one of these and try them if the black flies are bad and let me know how they work Shop BLACK FLAG Disposable Outdoor Fly Trap at Lowes.com (they are light until you add water to activate). set it up AWAY from your area so you dont bring more in toward your camp. This is the idea I was planning on trying for my next trip to Canada. I figured I would try to distract/kill the buggers instead of simply going through the hassle of repelling them. One year they were so bad that even with me wearing high concentration deet they would still land on you. Granted they wouldnt bite or last long but they still tickled/itched when they did and were annoying. A few found "holes" in my application and still bit. :(

That area I had the problem in was so bad (getting hit/landed on every couple seconds, bitten every couple minutes) I finally sprinted down the beach along the tree line and through the woods to my car and they still chased me like an angry swarm of bees. until I got at least 25 yards past the trailhead into the open road, I could feel the buggers bouncing off the back of my head. :n00b:

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    I'm taking:

Rapala:
    Husky Jerks
    Shad Rap
    Clackin Raps

Cotton Cordell:
    Super Shots
    Big O's
    Ripplin Red Fins
    Walleye Divers

Reef Runner:
    Rip Sticks
    Little Ripper
    RipShads

Lindy Shadling
    Mepps No. 5's
    Johnson Silver Minnows
    Daredevle's
    Red Eyes

Something will be working, that's for sure.

bd1024

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    Indy
    If you are using the full size diver, I would go with 30 lb Fireline or similar. If you are using the small ones, 20 would be fine. Very critical to use non stretch line. Can't tell if you have a fish on using mono. ---30 works well with the inline planer boards also. -----pick up a couple if you don't already have, dragging crankbaits behind the boards let you work up close to the reeds, a favorite place for pickerel (walleye), and pike / musky to hole up.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    No jigs forgop?

My top 5 would be jigs of many kinds for plastics and bait, walleye divers, husky jerks, willow leaf tandem spinners, plastic grub bodies. Anything after that is just gravy.

Slip bobbers for insurance and to help find the fish.

If I could only rig three rods and never change the baits on them, jig, spinner bait, slip bobber and considering how much I love crank baits for pike that tells you something. These are the exact three rods I always keep rigged by my back door 24/7 since I live on a river with smallies, walleye, musky and pike.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    On our float today I never saw a single duck or water bird of any kind with more than one surviving chick. Musky, Pike, Turtles and Eagles nail chicks constantly. Yesterday I saw an Eagle make a run at an adult Loon.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Hopefully I'll get to see all kinds of critters. If I see eagles around, I'll leave them some lunch.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    $40 in Bass Pro
    $160 in Cabelas
    $110 in Cabelas online order because they didn't have the 2 Mister Twister kits in the store.

Expensive day today but I'm mostly set on tackle now. Need to get some more hooks and sinkers, etc at Walmart and I should be done. If I can't catch fish with what I'm bringing, I don't think anything can be caught.

Now just counting down the days until we leave.

2001FZ1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indy
    I just talked to my dad about his week fishing up there. He flew out this morning and they are still in northern Michigan. He said the weather was bad for a couple days and fishing was very tough and the water is high. For him to almost sound like he was complaining about fishing, I know it wasn't good but luckily for you, He was not on Schewabic. They had enough to eat everyday but it didn't sound like the numbers were very good and the fish were on the smaller end. If he was up there next week, it could be a different story. The fish will be hungry and hitting again.

I guess that's why its called fishing and not catching....

Top Bottom