• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    By the way, yes, I am somewhat a "n00b", in that I bought my first gun in January 2012. Limited income and limited storage space means limited ammo supply. Cain't be hepped, ya' know?

You started shooting in the middle of this stupidity, you get a pass THIS time. But if you're caught short NEXT time (and there WILL be a next time) THEN you'd be a fool ;) All through late 2009 until this last fall I was urging people to stock up because stores had lots on the shelves and it was reasonably cheap, and we had lots of threads right here on InGO with people talking about how they couldn't afford to stock up. A few of those same people who paid 2-3 times as much for ammo this winter...

If you only shoot 50 rounds a month then a thousand rounds is plenty. If you shoot a thousand a month then 10k is not nearly enough to have on hand.

As far as cost to shoot goes, the next step in your journey is to reload. That's the only way I can afford to shoot as much as I do.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Some people are market trend analyzers who seek to profit off of market trends. You don't have to be a gun owner to see how things were going to go down last year. These people see profit in the worst of situations and act fast and timely to corner a market for their own small fortune. While these people are skillful in their endeavors, it is their actions that modeled the market into shortages and high prices. These are the people I despise.

Everyone else, gun owners alike, based their own hoarding and pricing on the trend in a domino effect.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    But wouldn't the amount of ammo a person has on hand depend on how many weapons they own? I can see someone with 50 or 75 or more guns keeping MANY thousands of rounds on hand.

Depends... A person could have 1000 guns but shoot none of them, ever, so he would need exactly 0 rounds and anything more than that he would be hoarding. Or you could have 1 gun (and a lot of barrels and spare parts) and shoot 6000 rounds a month and you would need 72000 rounds of ammo just to get you through a year, let alone getting enough to last you a few years. :ar15:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Guess I feel it is not any ones business why or what I stockpile. First, I have purchased ammo and reloading supplies (and stockpiled it) for well over 20 years. If properly stored, it last forever. I know I have read all the counter claims, but I have a crony and have measured the velocity of rounds that were pre WW1 and they still are in the original specs. I have only bought one or two surplus rounds of ammo where I have had FTF issues (probably wasn't stored properly after the big wars). Absolutely none of the ammo I have purchased is worth less now than when I purchased it. In fact if I considered it as an investment it has done better than any other I have made.

As should be obvious I don't purchase ANY when there is a shortage and prices are high. So I can't be blamed for any shortages. Have I got more than I will ever use CERTAINLY, but my son also collects and shoots. We also stock Powder, Primers, bullets, brass. We have several hundred pounds of lead, molds for most of our calibers. Multiple lead pots, multiple loading presses (single stage, turret and progressive). Dies for 40 to 50 calibers.

We don't have to worry about shortages of months, or for that matter years. We will continue to purchase and stock (Hoard if you prefer) when adequate supplies return and the prices drop to normal. If all the shooters did what we do there would be very few and very short term shortages.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    The hoarders show is hard to watch. I have to say that I would not mind to being buried in a ton of ammo laying around the house :)

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    I might add - Buying ammo in a caliber in which you don't have a weapon to fire it from.

I did this but ONLY because I was able get 5.56 at a decent price and had FULL INTENTIONS of buying a M4. I was just wasn't going to pay $1200+ for the M4 at the time and was waiting for the price to come back down.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    After reading posts on this forum, I can only imagine what it would be like for preppers during a severe food shortage.

Say you are one of the wise people who have been slowly and steadily buying a little extra here and there, and very carefully re-packaging it for long-term storage. Spending your extra money and investing considerable time and forethought into building up an adequate amount of food and supplies to get you and your family through tough times, while others are spending their money and time on less thoughtful things.

Then, there is a severe food shortage and many are going hungry all around you. You would very possibly be looked at as a "hoarder" of food, and could be thought of as despicable if you don't share all that you have with those frivolous people who went to Disneyland while you stayed home and prepped.

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    MY opinion is that if you ONLY have 5-10k rounds on hand you're a misguided noob.

Hoarding in the pejorative sense is buying something you have no use for and don't intend to use.

I know people who shoot 5k rounds a month, and I certainly shoot 5k rounds a year.

You should keep enough ammo on hand to give you 2-3 years of your normal shooting. How much that is depends entirely on the individual. That will get you through any of the historic shortages. That's not hoarding, that's just maintaining a rotating stock.

I personally feel anyone with less than 10k rounds on hand to be woefully underprepared, but that's just my opinion ;)

I agree 100%

Top Bottom