Nov 19, 2008

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    If you have more of something than I do, you're hoarding it.

Not at all. Let the manufacturers raise prices and pass that along to the retailers, and supply will meet demand and establish an equilibrium. Then the flipping stops, demand falls, and the price ratchets down. We hope.

This also impacts new shooters. We want to encourage new shooters, right? Or would we rather just lecture them about how short-sighted they were not to exercise their Constitutional rights sooner? After all, I've got mine Jack.

:twocents:

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I use to think that 200 rds per gun was hoarding. Not anymore since Obama attempted his little political trickery. If you have duplicates in caliber should you double up? Some gun designs allow for easier concealment, and /or back up. Still shopping every chance I get.

Like to look like old retired guy, oversized, untucked cover shirt(or jacket), sneakers, ball cap in camo or football team, while I trod around..

I don't stop at Dicks or Gander, or Wally Mart anymore. Nothing there in ammo except shotgun shells. Can't find, can't buy.

Last edited:

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I don't see it as hoarding, but investing. I have a friend who honestly believe he only needs 500 rounds on hand of any 1 caliber. No matter what I say he firmly believes that enough. I have continued to shoot during the 2013 panic, he has been doing everything BUT shooting. One would think "lesson learned" but he still maintains his 500 rounds theory.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I look at it more of an attidude than anything more. Years ago when .22's "I reload for everything else" would go on sale I'd buy a brick or 2. Then again when they went on sale again do the same. I now have way more then I'll probably ever shoot up except for the high priced match ammo, that is for the match ammo costing more than $150 a brick. I did somewhat the same with primers, shopped a gun dealer going out of business, and bought all the primers he had for closeout at less than $40.00 per 5,000 pc sleeve, the price was just to good to pass up, this also was 10/15 years ago. I've done the same with powder and usually buy mostly pull down or surplus powder.

I've done the same also with motor oil, when Menards has their sales on synthetic Quaker State with full rebate, why not buy oil for the cost of a stamp.

I do not consider this hoarding, no different than stocking the freezer when there is a super sale on beef or pork.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    AR hoarding.....

119yt1f.jpg

servpels

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2013
    Anderson
    I guess I have been guilty of hoarding whenever I had some extra money and could get a good deal on ammo. I probably have more .22 and 30.06 than anything else.

Purdue Plinker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    Indy
    People raise good points about comparing to your use. Some people who don't shoot had their eyes bulge at complaining about only having several hundred rounds. I feel fine with a few thousand - especially now when supply is being beat up by demand. Once things normalized a bit more, I'd stock up additionally besides just doing replacement to my current level.

what I found funny was the people who thought I was nuts for having thousands of rnds of ammo before the shortages . then the same people were pissed that i wouldn't sell them any during the shortage . they accused me of hoarding .No one could understand why I wouldn't help them out . I haven't bought more than a couple hundred rnds of any ammo since last year . Now these same people who would never given a thought about storing a few extra rounds have bought thousands . not shooting anything , just saving them up just in case .
    I think this is part of the current situation, people creating an shortage "echo" by stocking up when ammo is available again. Eventually, hopefully, they will be satisfied and the market will calm. Ironically, then, people may be stocked more than what they would have been otherwise and in some circumstances, losing money on speculation (they deserve it). Those who bought up to protect their own access shouldn't be too upset if supply availability returns, besides maybe cost being lower than what they bought at.

Some people are market trend analyzers who seek to profit off of market trends. You don't have to be a gun owner to see how things were going to go down last year. These people see profit in the worst of situations and act fast and timely to corner a market for their own small fortune. While these people are skillful in their endeavors, it is their actions that modeled the market into shortages and high prices. These are the people I despise.

Everyone else, gun owners alike, based their own hoarding and pricing on the trend in a domino effect.
    Exactly. Stocks at stores will return as soon as people stop buying out every single box as it hits, sometimes for their own use and sometimes to re-list online.

jaeisber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Westfield
    I bought my first gun at the wrong time...earlier last month. At this point, I only have about 500rds of 9mm, but also have not been shooting yet this month. I'm buying it as it becomes available at Walmart and other locations...but its slow going. I'd ideally like to be sitting around 2k, cycling ammo as I use it at the range. At this rate though, that is going to take a while.

Top Bottom