• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The last time I was in a bank without at least one gun was probably 1993. I'm still ashamed of it, but I won't let it happen again.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    My bank prefers that if you're going to carry, you CC so not to alarm other customers.

My credit union prefers that you CC so as not to alarm the tellers. Or as the assistant manager told me (paraphrased) "It's your right to do so, and I support that right, but our tellers are trained to push the panic button at the first sign of a gun so don't be surprised if the police come rolling in with guns drawn"

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    The brass which makes up your keys and belt buckles is not magnetic... the steel which makes up your gun is.

Ferrous metals have a negative phase, and non-ferrous metals have a positive phase. Metal detectors can see the entire spectrum of phase. Thus they can be set to detect specific types of metals, depending on the application. Bank sensors are looking for ferrous metals that make up guns and knives, and are tuned out to the non-ferrous metals that comprise keys / coins / belt buckles. Home-hobbyist metal detectors are usually tuned the opposite.

In short the detector can see your keys, belt buckle, change, ect. but it knows that these objects are not a weapon because it can distinguish between types of metal objects.
    So would a zinc-alloy pot-metal ring-of-fire POS make it through?
    (Raven,Jennings,Cobra,Lorcin,Bryco)
    Or is the steel in the barrel enough to set it off?

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I cannot possibly imagine continuing to support a bank that is willing to trample upon my rights. Would it be acceptable if said bank did not allow blacks or other minorities to come into the branch because of their color?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    My bank prefers that if you're going to carry, you CC so not to alarm other customers.

Now there's a question:

Many of you guys out there get your dander up at being told, "You're not allowed to carry that here!" or "You have to cover that up in this building!"

And I would, likewise.

How would you respond if the branch manager at your bank calmly, quietly, called you aside as you either got in line or finished your business and asked you, politely and without any threat of trespass or anything else, "I understand that you carry your sidearm wherever you go legally, and I respect that. Would you please, when you come here with it, carry it concealed?"

Or some other, similar phrasing. Personally, I don't think my rights are being violated by a request for a wholly voluntary action on my part; I'm not being robbed by the guy who asks, "Hey buddy, can you spare a buck or two?", after all.
    Given that, I would comply (presuming I was OCing in the first place).

Now... Asking me to not carry at all, even politely, would likely draw an equally polite, "No, but thank you for asking so nicely. Are you telling me that my pistol is not welcome here?" Their answer would determine if I had to find a new bank, in which case, 7,000+ Hoosiers would be informed of that bank's actions, both of which facts would be made known prior to me leaving, which would also be done politely and calmly.

Telling me not to carry there, or worse, enforcing that order with LE presence, would be met with far less tact or diplomacy, but I have no reason to think that my bank would do that at this time.

Blessings,
    Bill

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Now there's a question:

Many of you guys out there get your dander up at being told, "You're not allowed to carry that here!" or "You have to cover that up in this building!"

And I would, likewise.

How would you respond if the branch manager at your bank calmly, quietly, called you aside as you either got in line or finished your business and asked you, politely and without any threat of trespass or anything else, "I understand that you carry your sidearm wherever you go legally, and I respect that. Would you please, when you come here with it, carry it concealed?"

Or some other, similar phrasing. Personally, I don't think my rights are being violated by a request for a wholly voluntary action on my part; I'm not being robbed by the guy who asks, "Hey buddy, can you spare a buck or two?", after all.
    Given that, I would comply (presuming I was OCing in the first place).

Blessings,
    Bill

I had almost that exact experience at my credit union this past summer, the manager noticed after I was done with the transaction and politely asked me to come back off to the side.

The conversation went much like you described. Him "I know its your right to carry, and I fully support and have no problem with it. But when you come in here, if you wouldn't mind please cover it up. Our tellers are taught to hit the panic button as soon as they see a gun." Me "Okay, no problem"

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Very small town I live in....I've taught the bank officers and four of the tellers to shoot..... no issues here.

KahrFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Speedway
    I completely understand when some people (victims) are uncomfortable seeing my gun. I respect their right to shelter themselves from the reality of this world. I almost always keep it very concealed, unless around friends.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You better not cover up in Speedway, Kahr.:D

Now there's a scene I want to see--a bank in Speedway.

"You have to cover up."
    "But I have to obey the law and carry openly."
    "Ummm . . ."

:popcorn:

Top Bottom