• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • czad75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    SBI
    So I recently applied for my permit and it should be arriving within the next month or so. But today I went to the bank, and there was this really "trashy" looking man. He was sagging, huge shirt, and looked very dirty. I normally don't discriminate to much, but the guy had a surgical mask over his face. He was walking outside the bank really suspiciously and was looking at somelses car is it were his own. I was starring at him and he caught on and left. But this raised the question to me. Can you legally carry a gun into a bank, if they have no signs posted against it?

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Signs mean crap... Yes you can carry in a bank... If this incident made you think of carrying because a person "looked" suspicious I hope you will be getting some training before carrying..

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Even if the bank has signs posted, it's not illegal, but the bank could ask yo uto leave.

I'm pretty sure someone will show up here with links to other relevant discussions.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    INGO has a FAQ (or so I've heard) that should answer this question & many more.

Here is the link:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...discussion/16185-ingunowners_faqs_sticky.html

But to be specific, there is no law in IN that prohibits you from carrying in a bank. As stated above, the bank may have their own rules that prohibit it but that is not the same as it being illegal. If you carry in a bank that has a rule against it they can ask you to leave. If you don't leave they can have you arrested for trespassing but no gun-related charges.

Mini-14

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    New Palestine,In
    My bank (Huntington on E. Washington) has metal detectors. Walk in the bank and the door locks behind you and a locked door in front of you. If you set off the metal detector your trapped between the 2 doors. First time I went in I was carrying and set off the detector. Lights started flashing,alarm went off.Everyone in the Bank was looking at me. Guess they figured I wasnt a threat and let me in. Now when I go inside I leave my pistol in the car.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Slight threadjack regarding the bank "metal detectors". . .

How exactly does that work? I've got more metal in my keys, belt buckle, watch, ring, shoe eyelets, whatever, than I do in my Glock. How on earth does it tell the difference?

czad75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    SBI
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick responses. And yes i do plan on taking training courses before I carry.

czad75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    SBI
    Banks

My bank (Huntington on E. Washington) has metal detectors. Walk in the bank and the door locks behind you and a locked door in front of you. If you set off the metal detector your trapped between the 2 doors. First time I went in I was carrying and set off the detector. Lights started flashing,alarm went off.Everyone in the Bank was looking at me. Guess they figured I wasnt a threat and let me in. Now when I go inside I leave my pistol in the car.
    The banks in my area are starting to switch to this, but just not this one.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Slight threadjack regarding the bank "metal detectors". . .

How exactly does that work? I've got more metal in my keys, belt buckle, watch, ring, shoe eyelets, whatever, than I do in my Glock. How on earth does it tell the difference?

Yeah I've got more metal in my right leg the some folks have in their cars... How does that work?

Raoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Think about it this way. Which place, that you go every day, is most likely to be robbed at gun point. Here's a hint, its not McDonalds. I would guess that statistically speaking, a bank is probably the most dangerous place most people ever go. I carry in mine, nod politely at the oblivious security guard, chat with the tellers, etc...

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    another 2nd amendment issue? If I was dropping large deposits, I would want to carry a gun to the bank. I guess you just take your business elsewhere until everyone adapts to this system...

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Basically what everyone is saying that in Indiana, there is a huge difference between laws, and a posted sign at the front of any business. Legally, you can carry almost anywhere, with the exception being some government buildings/parks. All the sign says is that they have the right to ask you to leave if the notice you have one. Now if you OC then yes they will ask you to leave. Not knowing you have it is the whole point of CC.
    I'm sure if they have the sign they can call the police, just not a whole lot will happen. (you can't go to jail for it)

Top Bottom