• MrBlue54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    LaPorte
    Title says it all.
    I happen to work in that state.
    Found a range 20 min from the office. Their website says you need a FOID card. Well we Hoosiers don't need not stinking FOID card.
    So does anyone know?
    Thanks,
    MrBlue

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yes, you can transport to and through the vast majority of IL.

Yes, you can shoot there, too (provided its legal and safe).

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Title says it all.
    I happen to work in that state.
    Found a range 20 min from the office. Their website says you need a FOID card. Well we Hoosiers don't need not stinking FOID card.
    So does anyone know?
    Thanks,
    MrBlue

:rolleyes:
    They don't care,LOL!......they are a 'Right DENIED' State......they could care care less if says 'I'm Jesus H Christ' on yer license......

Illinois Concealed Carry Permit Information

good luck......you'll need it in that State....:cool:

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    YES WE CAN!!!
    I took an Appleseed Course at Illinois State Rifle Association (ISRA) near Kankakee and they only had to see a FOID from the people that live in Illinois. The instructor asked me if I had a FOID so I showed him my IN DL and said "Do you want to see my License to Carry?". He smiled and said "Nope, you are one of the lucky ones".
    It is the same way when someone from IL buys a firearms from say, Cabela's in Hammond. They have to show an ID and a FOID just to handle it. Law says you must have one if YOU are a RESIDENT for IL. For us Hoosiers, we don't need one to be in possesion of an unloaded, locked in case, half dissasembled, ammo stored 30 ft away from it firearm in IL.

Rooster 308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Lansing, MI
    I know you can hunt (with the proper license) and buy ammo, but I do not know about using the range. Logic says it should be OK, but we are talking about IL :dunno:

Cant buy ammo in IL w/o FOID. It is ok to shoot there as long as the gun is stored and transported legally.

But Cook Co. is a whole different story all together.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    I have shoot in IL before and know several others that have. I have also bought ammo in IL as well, w/o a FOID (the shop carried a FFL for Indiana...they have shops in both states).

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Cant buy ammo in IL w/o FOID. It is ok to shoot there as long as the gun is stored and transported legally.

But Cook Co. is a whole different story all together.

From the NRA-ILA site: NRA-ILA | Illinois

NON-RESIDENTS
    A non-resident is permitted to possess a firearm without a FOID if it is unloaded and enclosed in a case, or if the nonresident is:
    • Hunting and has a non-resident hunting license, while in an area where hunting is permitted.
    • On a target range recognized by the Department of State Police.
    • At a gun show recognized by the Department of State Police.
    • Currently licensed or registered to possess a firearm in his state of residence.

Any resident of Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin or Kentucky, or a non-resident with a valid non-resident hunting license, who is 18 years of age or older and who is not prohibited by the laws of Illinois, the state of his domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing or using a firearm, may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun or ammunition for a rifle or shotgun in Illinois. A non-resident who qualifies to possess a firearm under one of the above-listed exceptions may also purchase ammunition.

Rooster 308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Lansing, MI
    From the NRA-ILA site: NRA-ILA | Illinois

NON-RESIDENTS
    A non-resident is permitted to possess a firearm without a FOID if it is unloaded and enclosed in a case, or if the nonresident is:
    • Hunting and has a non-resident hunting license, while in an area where hunting is permitted.
    • On a target range recognized by the Department of State Police.
    • At a gun show recognized by the Department of State Police.
    • Currently licensed or registered to possess a firearm in his state of residence.

Any resident of Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin or Kentucky, or a non-resident with a valid non-resident hunting license, who is 18 years of age or older and who is not prohibited by the laws of Illinois, the state of his domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing or using a firearm, may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun or ammunition for a rifle or shotgun in Illinois. A non-resident who qualifies to possess a firearm under one of the above-listed exceptions may also purchase ammunition.

Color me wrong. I have never been able to in any gun store that I have been to in IL. I think I'll print this off and take it with me next time. Why do so many reject a perfectly legal transaction? Seems to me they would want to sell their goods.

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Color me wrong. I have never been able to in any gun store that I have been to in IL. I think I'll print this off and take it with me next time. Why do so many reject a perfectly legal transaction? Seems to me they would want to sell their goods.

Prolly because them there gangsters come over to the free wheelin state of Indiana where we aint got no strict gun laws to obtain their "gat". Therefore, the stores in Illinois are doing their part by not selling to us so we don't supply them there gangsters..sorry gangsta's.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana

Not certain why they would refuse to sell it to you. I know I used to purchase ammo from a Winchester-affiliated shop in Alton and regularly buy ammo from the Walmart Bloomington and a couple closer to St Louis (on the IL side of the river.)

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Can you take a handgun to Illinois to use?
    My understanding that you cannot and it is a felony if found in possession of a handgun that is not uloaded, cased ect as in being legally transported.
    I have bought long guns and ammo a number of times in Illinois. I believe it is a 2 day waiting period for long guns.
    If you buy a handgun it has to be transfered to/thru your home State. Unless something has changed that is.

Yukon622

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    brownsburg
    The law reads it is legal for Indiana resident to use any range recognized by illinois state police. What about using my firearms on a friends private property in Illinois (of couse if it was legal for him in his county)?

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    As a side note

Just to throw it out there because IL is historically a PITA when it comes to carry. IL law could/will change soon so this question and it's many answers most likely will change very shortly. IL just recently had a ruling come down that the state has something like 180 days to craft a carry law as it's unconstitutional to refuse it. There's a lot of support and opposition to this, you can read more in the carry/self defense section of the forum, but to the OP I would keep a close eye on what happens with that situation because it could alter some of the things posted here.

(From what I read IL doesn't have a statute that prevents local governments from overwriting the states decisions like IN does, so it's possible that certain areas could stay the same and other areas of the state become open to carry/shooting/etc...)

MrBlue54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    LaPorte
    Thanks for all the Response.
    NOW what the range said when I called today.
    Sorry, as I am an out of state resident, I cannot buy ammo, rent a gun, or rent range time. I cannot bring my own gun or ammo either.
    I CAN shoot if I am with someone who has a FOID card, BUT they will not take my hard earned $$. They cannot even see money change hands between me and my FOID carrying friend.
    They told me that they would like to but cannot allow me in the place alone.
    Funny, they , (state of Illinois), do not have any problem with taking my TAXES out of my paycheck!!!
    MrBlue

Top Bottom