Can we organize a Limited Gun "Test Drive" Day near Indianapolis?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    I'd be willing to bring the CZ 75-TS shooting my ammo and try some other guns. I like the idea for experienced shooters to test other platforms. I have read a lot of good stuff on the fat free but have never seen one. A sight tracker/trusite type gun would also be awesome to shoot if anyone has one.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Dates / Times

I'd be willing to bring the CZ 75-TS shooting my ammo and try some other guns. I like the idea for experienced shooters to test other platforms. I have read a lot of good stuff on the fat free but have never seen one. A sight tracker/trusite type gun would also be awesome to shoot if anyone has one.

I'm glad to see the CZ come back out to shoot! I'm proposing that we meet at Marion County Fish and Game on Saturday, January 2nd at 2 pm. What do you guys think? I'm thinking that we set up a few pieces of steel, and test the different guns. I know it'll be cold, but we can keep warm in the clubhouse, and sneak outside to shoot and run back inside to stay warm.

I'm open to suggestions if you guys have suggestions on dates / times.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'd bring mine, but light they are not. Both of my guns (5" and 6" SV 2011s) have extended dust covers and tungsten magazine wells (4x heavier mass-for-mass than stainless steel).

If this goes down, I'd HIGHLY recommend the shooter spend a few minutes dry-firing to get used to the triggers. The first time you experience a properly setup ~2lb trigger you'll think that simply breathing on it will set it off. It can be pretty dangerous in the wrong hands.

+1 on the ammo issue. We're not talking about running Wolf ammo through $400 Glocks, here.

Steady Glock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Sounds like someone should check with state liability laws. This is a disaster waiting to happen (and not the explosive type....the lawsuit type.) Is there any way that the INGO would be willing to sponsor? The attendees could make a "donation" at the gate...Thoughts?

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    How about the attendees bring the ammo for their gun, then take donations for the shells. This would also be a good idea considering that some 2011s like ammo loaded long, and won't run well on factory shells.
    It's costing me almost exactly $6 per box of 50 40-cal. I'm sure other limited shooters (who pretty much all reload) are loading for similar costs. But it's hard to put a price on time, so maybe more than the base cost of reloading would be good...

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sounds like someone should check with state liability laws. This is a disaster waiting to happen (and not the explosive type....the lawsuit type.)

Whoa there newbie (your word, not mine)! Don't be so quick to throw your uneducated opinion around. You don't know who you're talking about here. The folks discussing this are seasoned shooters, most of them range officers and associated with local shooting ranges. Safety will not be an issue.

You should come join us for Friday Night Steel:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/shooting_sports/64629-friday_night_steel_12-11-09_a.html

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Sounds like someone should check with state liability laws. This is a disaster waiting to happen (and not the explosive type....the lawsuit type.) Is there any way that the INGO would be willing to sponsor? The attendees could make a "donation" at the gate...Thoughts?

I don't get your reasoning here. There are all variety of INGO and non-INGO shooting events that have happened in the past, and nobody has ever, that I am aware of, panicked about "liability".

I have shot other people's guns, they have shot mine. It's a friendly trade off.

Why so serious? :cool:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How about the attendees bring the ammo for their gun, then take donations for the shells. This would also be a good idea considering that some 2011s like ammo loaded long, and won't run well on factory shells.

:yesway:

It's costing me almost exactly $6 per box of 50 40-cal. I'm sure other limited shooters (who pretty much all reload) are loading for similar costs. But it's hard to put a price on time, so maybe more than the base cost of reloading would be good...

Loading .45, $6.81 not counting brass for me. I wouldn't be opposed to paying $10 or even double the cost.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Yep, pump your breaks Steady Glock. There is no cause for alarm here... If this happens at MCFG, any non MCFG member who attends will have to sign-in and pay our "visitor fee" and our club does carry insurance. This isn't just a bunch of random guys getting together at a public range and throwing lead downrange. It might even be said that we know what we're doing ;)

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Getting the discussion back on track...

It sounds like we've got about a dozen people interested in coming, with the following guns:

Brazos Edge
    STI Tactical
    SV 5" LDC
    SV 6" LDC
    Glock 24
    Glock 35
    S&W M&P
    Possibly a Benny Hill Fat Free (I'm really hoping this one works out)
    CZ Tactical Sport

Visitors to Marion County Fish and Game (non club members) would be required to pay the regular $10 visitor's fee. We'll probably shoot for 1-2 hours, and then grab some food at BW3's.

I can tell from the demand that we should have done this years ago! Thanks for everyone's interest.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Are spectators allowed? All I own is a Bersa 9, lol.
    I would love to check out all the cool hardware you guys are bringing, and I have been wanting to check out MCFG....

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We all start somewhere...

Are spectators allowed? All I own is a Bersa 9, lol.
    I would love to check out all the cool hardware you guys are bringing, and I have been wanting to check out MCFG....

Thanks for coming to the table with such a humble attitude; that's refreshing in an environment were we often see people that act like they "know everything". We have all started somewhere (my first pistol was a Ruger Single-Six), and we strive for continuous improvement. All you need to attend our event is your $10 visitor fee, a desire to learn, and a focus on safety (follow the rules, bring your own eye and ear protection, etc.).

If you can handle those 3 items, an ability to consume buffalo wings will also help you fit in with the group :)

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Thanks for coming to the table with such a humble attitude; that's refreshing in an environment were we often see people that act like they "know everything". We have all started somewhere (my first pistol was a Ruger Single-Six), and we strive for continuous improvement. All you need to attend our event is your $10 visitor fee, a desire to learn, and a focus on safety (follow the rules, bring your own eye and ear protection, etc.).

If you can handle those 3 items, an ability to consume buffalo wings will also help you fit in with the group :)

Thank you for the kind words.
    I did a lot of research before I bought my first gun back in April. I also sought the counsel of friends, and the people on this site. INGO has been INVALUABLE to me as a n00b.

I know a lot of newbies think they know it all(and my wife thinks I am a know it all as well, lol) but I realized early on that this was MUCH too serious for me to take it lightly.

Thanks for the invitation, I am looking forward to this! :rockwoot:

(OH, and as for wings. What fat guy doesn't like wings?? :D)

Top Bottom