"Can I Carry in a Bar?" -- A RELATED QUESTION . . .

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I enjoy intoxicating substances. I am in the company of many, many other human beings, stretching back through long before recorded history.

Intoxicting substances impair one's judgement - no argument.

Does my engagment with intoxicating substances require me to concede my right to self defense?

The Spud

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hoosier in Exile
    I enjoy intoxicating substances. I am in the company of many, many other human beings, stretching back through long before recorded history.

Intoxicting substances impair one's judgement - no argument.

Does my engagment with intoxicating substances require me to concede my right to self defense?

No, but depending on how your engagement goes, you might be divorcing yourself from your ability to defend yourself.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I just don't get someone making plans where they expect to not be able to handle their firearm judiciously and effectively deciding not to carry, but not seeing the bigger issue of making themself a significantly easier victim due to impairment. It seems to contradict the purpose of carrying (at other times) for personal defense.

As others have said..I live my life. I don't ALWAYS carry. I'm not ALWAYS in condition orange. It's not physically or mentally possible to be "on" all the time. Everybody takes risks. You take a risk by driving a car, walking down the street, or just by getting out of bed in the morning.

That said, I rarely drink. Not because of any moral oppostion, but because I'm just not interested or too busy.

i always thought mixing guns & alcohol was against the law:dunno:

Aw, geez... :facepalm: :D

Should this be in purple?

If you were serious, then no, it's not illegal.

This could segway into ANOTHER valid question.

What would happen if you shot someone in justifiable self defense, and you were legally intoxicated, or had ANY BAC at all?

I would assume the lawyers would tear you apart.

If it's an otherwise legal self-defense there should be no reason to be able to tear you apart anymore than they normally would. Just because you were drinking doesn't make it any less reasonable or less legal.

If it's not a good shoot...well then, it's not a good shoot.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    My question is, why are they concerned about having some puny handgun on them when their ability to make decisions and act may be impaired, yet they do not show the same level of concern over operating a far more deadly weapon (i.e. their vehicle)?

In this society, people worry more about bearing arms when they are not allowed, than breaking DUI laws. Simple and unfortunate fact.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I think (based on information beyond what is posted in messages here) that I may have been unclear. The issue I'm trying to address is NOT whether or not you should carry a gun when you're drinking. The issue is whether or not you should get drunk/intoxicated at all, especially in public, if you are truly concerned about your personal safety. My answer is "no," and this issue should pretty much make whether or not you should carry when you drink a moot point.

I agree 100%! About the most I do, even @ home, is get a bit of a buzz (doesn't take much!). If I am out by myself, I am entirely responsible for my safety. If I am out with friends, I am partially responsible for my safety and theirs.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Rhino, I'm on board. I don't enjoy being intoxicated at home or in public. I gave those days up while I was quitting smoking long before I took my personal security seriously. Now I just have additional reasons. One being the security of Pami and I, and the other my darling 7 month old :)

I'd like for her to grow up not thinking her dad was a drunkard :)

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    But, it might. . .in the other direction than what you imply.

Alcohol impairs your hearing, affects your sight, and attention. In other words, you could easily be in danger and no even know it.

Add to that a potential change in your judgment, and your reaction to a perceived danger may be 'off.' On top of that, reaction time is much slower, your balance may be affected, and your tactile abilities are lessened.

I carry all the time (drinking or not) because press checking my pistol and clipping my holster in my belt have become the next two steps after brushing my teeth every morning. If I find myself in the mood for a drink, which I do once in awhile I only drink beer (can't stand hard liquer or wine) and only have a few.

I think many people worry about mixing alcohol and guns because they believe they'll react too quickly in an unwarrated situation. I do not have this fear. I am a sit and drink a beer or two while discussing whatever with the guys, tip the bartender, say goodnight and head home type of bar patron.

As to the other end of the spectrum, being in danger an not even knowing it. I don't believe the amount of alcohol I typically consume would diminish my abilities that far if at all. If I did believe that the only legitamate option would be to not drink. I wouldn't decide to engage in drinking over being armed. Just as I avoid places its illegal to be while armed I would also avoid alcohol.

If I've decided that I'll be drinking for the soul purpose of trying to get as intoxicated as possible, which is a very juvenile decision that I haven't made since before I was even of legal drinking age, I will not be armed, or in a bar, or even in public for that matter.

I drink because I enjoy the taste of beer. If given the choice between almost any beer, including NA, or just about any other beverage I'll probably choose the beer.
    I do not enjoy being intoxicated and haven't been so in quite sometime.
    I enjoy being armed because I can and I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Not really for any other reason. I'm not armed because I'm afraid or because I think I need to be.

Ignorance is bliss and so is the occasional Smithwicks draft while propped up high on a barstool, with my back to the door, in a dimly lit environment, surrounded by an array of semi-intoxicated shady characters that share my love of a good pint after work.

Top Bottom