"Can I Carry in a Bar?" -- A RELATED QUESTION . . .

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I think Kirk hit the nail on the head. Part of it is attitude. I am a big fan of beer and wine. I drink both and my family has a tradition of homebrewing. However I rarely drink to the level of impairment. If the plan is to become impaired then that plan should not involve guns. If the drinking is more in the order of sipping a glass of wine with dinner or tasting your cousin's latest run of stout then I see no problem.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think (based on information beyond what is posted in messages here) that I may have been unclear. The issue I'm trying to address is NOT whether or not you should carry a gun when you're drinking. The issue is whether or not you should get drunk/intoxicated at all, especially in public, if you are truly concerned about your personal safety. My answer is "no," and this issue should pretty much make whether or not you should carry when you drink a moot point.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I think (based on information beyond what is posted in messages here) that I may have been unclear. The issue I'm trying to address is NOT whether or not you should carry a gun when you're drinking. The issue is whether or not you should get drunk/intoxicated at all, especially in public, if you are truly concerned about your personal safety. My answer is "no," and this issue should pretty much make whether or not you should carry when you drink a moot point.

Part of the problem may be defining intoxicated. The prohibition lobby (MADD, SADD and others. I really believe that is what they would like to see.) have convinced many people that one drink mean you are impaired. I can remember some talk show host in Chicago several years ago that commented he was not impaired after one or two drinks. You would have thought he had killed someone's child the way the soccer Mom's tore into him. I never drink with the idea of getting drunk when I start. I haven't gotten what I consider drunk in many years and that was in my own home.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I'm usually one that chimes in that if I go out drinking the gun stays at home. But I also don't drive to the bar if that is the case. If I am driving and therefore not drinking I have no problem carrying.

A lot of it doesn't necessarily say you will make a bad decision but maybe you can't react fast enough to another dumb drunk trying borrow your gun or something stupid like that.

All personal preference and personal responsibility.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Good point. The way I conceived this was that a person was planning to drink an amount that they perceived would not allow them to responsibly carry a firearm.

Given that, I think it's irresponsible to put yourself in that condition because you won't be able to effectively protect yourself whether you are armed or not.

If the person were not intending or expecting to be impaired, then there's no reason to even consider not carrying the gun.

Part of the problem may be defining intoxicated. The prohibition lobby (MADD, SADD and others. I really believe that is what they would like to see.) have convinced many people that one drink mean you are impaired. I can remember some talk show host in Chicago several years ago that commented he was not impaired after one or two drinks. You would have thought he had killed someone's child the way the soccer Mom's tore into him. I never drink with the idea of getting drunk when I start. I haven't gotten what I consider drunk in many years and that was in my own home.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township

I see what you are saying. I suppose it is left up to the individual and what level of risk they are willing to take. For example, there are alot, and I mean ALOT of people who preach about saftey and guns, but then hop on their motorcycle without a helmet. I'm one of them. I wear a helmet sometimes, and sometimes I don't. I'm also not a person that feels helpless without a gun. Being "truly concerned about your personal safety" is a very subjective thing. There are an infinite amount of things that you can do to be more concerned.......
    -wear a bullet proof vest everywhere you go
    -wear a helmet while walking down the sidewalk
    -sleep with your eyes open
    -don't get married..:laugh:
    and the list goes on..............I suppose the few times a year when I have "one too many," put me at a higher level of risk for lack of mindset during that block of time. But it's something that I enjoy from time to time and it's a chance I'm willing to take. I do not live my life in fear.

Note: The few times a year when I drink with the result of intoxication, I'm usually in a private place. If I ever go out in public..(i.e. bachelor party) I arrange for transportation and the guns stay in the safe.:D

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Good point. The way I conceived this was that a person was planning to drink an amount that they perceived would not allow them to responsibly carry a firearm.

Given that, I think it's irresponsible to put yourself in that condition because you won't be able to effectively protect yourself whether you are armed or not.

If the person were not intending or expecting to be impaired, then there's no reason to even consider not carrying the gun.

Wow...that pretty much sums it up. I agree.:D It also gives me clearence for all those times when I "accidentally" get drunk.:):

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Is it actually illegal to carry while drinking, like a BAC limit? I asked this question of many friends that carry and the answers always vary. I haven't found a law against it so I thought someone might know. I don't do it I just like to know the laws.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Is it actually illegal to carry while drinking, like a BAC limit? I asked this question of many friends that carry and the answers always vary. I haven't found a law against it so I thought someone might know. I don't do it I just like to know the laws.

There is no law in Indiana which addresses this issue, therefore it is not illegal. IANAL&TINLA

JustOneMore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Franklin
    Since i believe my post was the one that got the pot stirred, i will respond. First off i will NOT drink and drive no matter what!!! Not only is it a danger to myself and others, but it is also my livelyhood. I drive a truck for a living and any dui-dwi offense means i am not only in legal trouble, but i am now unemployed!

As to the point of personal safety, yes I worry about it, if i didnt i wouldnt be on a gun site having this discusion, but at the same time I enjoy having a few cocktails with friends. I feel that the risk taken by not being armed for a few hours is far less than the risk of ANY person being intoxicated (if it goes that far) with a firearm. Not saying that when i go out I PLAN on getting drunk, but would much rather "risk" being unarmed and sober, than to be intoxicated and armed.

I would like to add that i feel as i would be responsible enough to carry when drinking but like stated earlier "that should be a no-no for anyone".

This is MY view of the guns and alchahol issue. You may agree or dissagree and that is what makes this United States of America such a wonderfull place to call home!:patriot:

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Since i believe my post was the one that got the pot stirred, i will respond. First off i will NOT drink and drive no matter what!!! Not only is it a danger to myself and others, but it is also my livelyhood. I drive a truck for a living and any dui-dwi offense means i am not only in legal trouble, but i am now unemployed!

As to the point of personal safety, yes I worry about it, if i didnt i wouldnt be on a gun site having this discusion, but at the same time I enjoy having a few cocktails with friends. I feel that the risk taken by not being armed for a few hours is far less than the risk of ANY person being intoxicated (if it goes that far) with a firearm. Not saying that when i go out I PLAN on getting drunk, but would much rather "risk" being unarmed and sober, than to be intoxicated and armed.

I would like to add that i feel as i would be responsible enough to carry when drinking but like stated earlier "that should be a no-no for anyone".

This is MY view of the guns and alchahol issue. You may agree or dissagree and that is what makes this United States of America such a wonderfull place to call home!:patriot:

Yep...and CDL holders only get a .04 on the ole breath-o-meter if I'm not mistaken.

skseifert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Boggstown
    Almost started this thread myself...

I've still somewhat green to carrying all the time, and I do like a glass of beer with my donner - and I NEVER drink to the point of impairing my driving (I stay below the BAC legal level). I'm 44 years old, have 4 children and 1 grandchild, and I know what I can handle. I get that it is not "illegal" but really what is the perception of carrying while sipping a cold brew? I personally worry about the occasional drunk who wants to start something, so I think I am probably more at risk when I am in any such establishment. So I carry.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Always carry (where legal). Always stay straight and in control. Never knowingly or willingly put yourself in a position of vulnerability.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I don't think the point where I become fearful for my life changes with my BAC.

But, it might. . .in the other direction than what you imply.

Alcohol impairs your hearing, affects your sight, and attention. In other words, you could easily be in danger and no even know it.

Add to that a potential change in your judgment, and your reaction to a perceived danger may be 'off.' On top of that, reaction time is much slower, your balance may be affected, and your tactile abilities are lessened.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Okay . . . so we frequently see topics arise wherein someone asks if it's legal to carry in a bar. Usually someone has told them or they "seem to recall" that it's illegal, but they want clarification. In short order, they are instructed that there is no law barring otherwise lawful carry of a handgun in a bar.

Here's the related issue: in many of these topics, at least one person (typcially the person who thinks it's illegal to carry in a bar, but could be someone(s) else) will state that they leave their gun in at home or in the car when they intend to "go drinking."

This always raises red flags in my head.

First of all, I am concerned that some of these same people intend to drive their car to and from the location of drinking. Not always the case, but at least sometimes it is. My question is, why are they concerned about having some puny handgun on them when their ability to make decisions and act may be impaired, yet they do not show the same level of concern over operating a far more deadly weapon (i.e. their vehicle)?

On a more fundamental issue, why would someone purposely compromise their ability to make decisions and act, especially in public, by drinking or consuming other intoxicants? If you are concerned enough about your personal safety the rest of the week to acquire a firearm, learn how to use it, and then carry it to help protect yourself, why do something to limit your ability to protect yourself regardless of whether you are carrying or not? You need to be able to maintain awareness, think clearly, and react purposefully when danger is present regardless of your state of being armed.

So what's the deal?

Sixty-four million dollar questions.

I don't drink except when at home, but even then, I keep it minimal.

My college days are long behind me, and it stopped being 'cool' to almost kill myself with liquor Sophomore year. I'd rather keep my wits and perhaps have a nightcap or some wine with dinner or a beer or two, than to get wasted in public in an unsecure location.

Two and two makes five, for some people, apparently.
    And for some, three, I guess.

No ideas, nor any answers, but those are great questions.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I enjoy drinking every now and then. I don't get fall down drunk any longer but a couple of times a year I find myself intoxicated enough that I doubt I could 'protect myself', armed or not.

I do it because I enjoy it, the same reason I do any number of other things that could conceivably compromise my safety in some way. I get on commercial airplanes. Eat raw oysters. I've been skydiving. I've been swimming within an hour (is it an hour?) after a meal. Live my life, basically.

So I don't worry any more about the comprimises I make when I take a drink than I do when I don't wear a level III vest everywhere. I'd be safer if I did. For that matter, how many here are in the best possible physical shape they could be in? Do you compromise your family's safety when you eat a cheeseburger instead of a myoplex?

Top Bottom