• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scoe3202

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    I am working on acquiring an 870 express combo, I like the look of camo guns, so I looked into a camo wrap system by mossy oak, but also found the dipping kits(which would concern me dipping metallic parts.) Could someone give some advice on either system? I apologize for the lack of detail or knowledge as I'm new to firearms and completely green to shotgun and hunting.:patriot:

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    The camo wrap I've used works just like athletic wrap. Sticks to itself but not other things. It's going to be the cheapest option' and the easiest to change if you end up not liking it.

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Krylon is a rattle-can spray paint. I've seen a few videos about spray painting your firearm camo. Google spray paint rifle camo or spray paint shotgun camo There are many videos on line. Some are very good.

Mad Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    White Co.
    Don't know where you're located, but I found this young man, in Lafayette that does hydrographic camo dips. I took the synthetic stock off my H&R Sportster and had him do the stock. As far as I'm concerned, he did a great job. Here is his info, and a couple pics of the stock he did. He does full guns, including barrels and receivers, I just didn't want the whole gun done.

Cummins Hydrographics
    Josh Cummins
    765-413-5015

He has a website on face book.

Film Patterns

Picture022_zps6b8f6d65.jpg

Picture021_zps65c774ec.jpg

Picture018_zps8b02d437.jpg

Mad Dog

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Krylon and blue masking tape (torn to feather edges and layer as needed to make stripes). Cheap and durable, have 2 or 3 coats of clear and it looks like I just did it, 2 yrs of hunting later. Thought about leaf and other patterns, gotta watch our or you'll get substantial topography. Done a few blotch and tigers, bows and guns. Best bet is to keep the pattern a little larger than you think.

Yeah I like the filmdip stuff, but I always want the royalty camo patterns, so 200 bucks or more to camo a rig seems silly when I do an OK job for $20.

picture.php

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana

Scoe3202

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    Yeah I am aware of what krylon is, but just saying a brand was a bit vague. I do like the dipping and have found kits you can do for $99, not sure I have the skills to do so and nor sure how easy removing it is in the case of an "oops." I like the idea of wraps they seem easy to do and easy to remove in the event you change your mind. I just was more so curious if someone actually used it and how good I looks in person. It seems to be theost cost effective method, not to mention it gives me the satisfaction of being able to do it myself.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    reread initial post:

You're getting an 870 Express............why not run it "as is" ?
    BTW you could get a factory synth stock set in camo for about $75

The 1100 mag I got had beat to heck wood, so that's what I did. IMHO blued metal with camo stocks looks better than all camo.

I've used an all black 870 Express synth to nuke several turkeys, works fine.

Scoe3202

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    reread initial post:

You're getting an 870 Express............why not run it "as is" ?
    BTW you could get a factory synth stock set in camo for about $75

The 1100 mag I got had beat to heck wood, so that's what I did. IMHO blued metal with camo stocks looks better than all camo.

I've used an all black 870 Express synth to nuke several turkeys, works fine.

It's not out of the question, I like the look of a camo gun and have also heard blue and wood could "cost a bird" when turkey hunting. As I don't have the gun yet its merely ideas, and I know the guys on this forum have a lot of knowledge and valuable opinions.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Before the Express and Special Purpose models, yes Remington had a bit of shine to the wood and metal (old RKW finished wood would flash, their metal's regular polish/bluing wasn't all that great IMHO- not matte but certainly not a mirror).

Your Express is matte metal and the wood is dull finished as well.

You should be fine.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom