• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I did my AR myself with some help from Indygunworks.

ar2.jpg

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I did my 10/22 stock in GAP camo on the cheap for $9 total. I bought krylon cans in flat camo colors for $3 a piece and had the painters tape and wax paper at home.

2010-12-24_18-27-06_538-1.jpg

mskendall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    NE Indy
    All of you guys doing it made me want to try... Cut out some paper plate designs and sprayed. I think it's decent for my first try and I kept my toes out of the picture :)

picture.php

slowmo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Indy area
    http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad20/donlone5/camo001.jpg

Not real happy with the was it turned out,but heres the first time I tried it. Think my colors may be too far apart in color

Never done this before. But based on the Pat Rogers post, you may want to go back and do a very light dusting of your tan or brown color. I don't know if you even need as heavy of a coat as is shown in his photos. This may help blend you colors a little bit.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Necrobump!

Finally got around to rattle-canning another rifle; this time, my BCM middy. I used Aervoe epoxy paints in matte camo colors, purchased from DSG Arms.

To prep, I removed the rail covers and muzzle device (because it will most likely get changed, and I may want to sell the old one), hosed the rifle down with Gun Scrubber to degrease it, packed the front and rear optic lenses with tissue and closed the covers, and taped over the muzzle threads and sight apertures. I then hung the rifle from the ceiling in my garage, and put some cardboard underneath it to catch the overspray.

middy_masked-1.jpg

Then I laid down the base coat, #1082 Desert Sand. Using long strokes and "misting" rather than spraying directly onto the gun provides a nice, even coat, but consumes a lot of paint (especially when using a light color on a dark surface).
    middy_base-1.jpg

After allowing the base coat to dry to the touch, I wrapped the gun in thin strips of cloth made from cut-up T-shirts that I was going to use for gun cleaning rags.
    middy_wrap1.jpg

Then I put down the first contrasting color, #1080 Highland (kind of a mud brown).
    middy_color1.jpg

Then I wrapped the gun again going the other way, but did not remove the original wrappings like I had in the past. Wanted to try something new, and minimize the coverage of the second contrasting color.
    middy_wrap2.jpg

Then I applied the second contrasting color, #979 Forest Green.
    middy_color2.jpg

After allowing everything to dry, it was time for the big reveal!
    middy_reveal1.jpg

middy_reveal2.jpg

Yeah, that's a little... bold, isn't it? So I did a bit of freehand touch-up work with the Highland and Forest Green, then misted everything with a light coat of #968 Field Drab to "dirty up" the Desert Sand parts, and bring everything together.
    middy_touchup.jpg

That's mo' betta! :yesway:

Finally, I misted the entire gun with a light coat of Brownells' Alumahyde II Matte Clear to provide some resistance to scratches, scuffs and cleaning solvents.

Total time invested was under 2 hours, including prep, dinner break and clean-up.

So how 'bout a couple pics of my two camo'ed carbines together?
    middy_recon.jpg

middy_recon2.jpg

I'm not entirely happy with how this camo job came out. I should have stuck with my previous wrapping method; I like the greater coverage of the third color, and the "randomness" of the pattern it produces. This color pallette also ended up a bit too brown for my tastes; next time I think I'll play with some of the greens in the Aervoe spectrum. I might yet go back and do some additional touch-up work on this one; we'll see.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Shooter, do you ever have issues with "sticking" with breakdown pins, trigger, etc.?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    That looks awesome. I'm jealous.

Now that I'm keeping my AR, I keep coming back to this thread and trying to decide if I want to cammo mine. I still love the look of your first one.

I know I'd end up screwing something up though.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Shooter, do you ever have issues with "sticking" with breakdown pins, trigger, etc.?

No; painting the rifle with the pins in the closed position eliminates any issues there (they may need to be "broken free" the first time, after the paint has dried), and not enough paint gets up in the FCG to cause a problem. I have noticed, however, that Magpul XTM rail covers (the "snap together" type) do not fit on painted rails very well due to the thickness added by the paint.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Paint/camo pattern and method depends on what effect you're after. Do you want the gun to blend in with a specific type of terrain or background, do you just want to break up the outline so it's not readily recognizable as a "gun" from a distance, or do you want it to be a badass piece of modern art?

Here's one I did a few years ago:

Before:
    recon_left.jpg

After:
    recon_camo_left.jpg

In the wild:
    DSCN3803.jpg

DSCN3805.jpg

To achieve the pattern, I used 3 colors of Brownells' Alumahyde II. Put down the base color and let it dry, then "mummified" the gun in strips of cloth (torn-up shop rags) and hit it with the second color, then put the strips back on running the opposite direction and hit it with the 3rd.

Pat Rogers recently put up a very good tutorial on a quick-and-easy method for camo painting one's carbine; I'd be happy to re-post it here (with permission) if y'all are interested.

I plan to paint my BCM mid-length gun in the spring, and will do a step-by-step review with pics when I do.

You have to be very careful where you lay down your rifle, cause you can lose it, it's hard to find in the picture;)

Top Bottom