• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    tonight i went out and at two diffrent sets got coyotes to talk back for at least 30 minutes each time. one i brought them in to probably 50 yards but on the other side of the hill. I tryed everything to get them to come over the hill so i could get a shot. it stayed out there and barked at me about every 45 seconds for about 25 minutes and never came over. do you guys have any suggestions on to how to bring the coyotes in closer.
    the second set they sayed about 400 yards out and i could not get them any closer but they barked at us for probably 30 minutes. i tryed coyote challenge calls, pup in distress calls, rodent calls, ect.

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    i did not use a decoy tonight. all tho i do have a primos rabbit decoy and it moves but it is noisey. I just figured it would scare them off. it looks very real but just noisy

shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN
    Have you tried any female calls? I bought a mojo critter and its not loud at all. I wouldn't think the noise would scare them cause guys are building decoys out of the weasal ball and its noisey. Maybe wind direction?

A-savvy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    I have had success with coyote replica decoys. Sometimes they will bring them in closer. Tonight they might have caught your sent though.

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    I have had success with coyote replica decoys. Sometimes they will bring them in closer. Tonight they might have caught your sent though.

they may have scented me. but if they did would they run off or stay about 50 yards out and bark and howl at me like they did.
    I am not sure i am just getting in to coyote hunting. that is why i am asking all the questions
    thanks for your advice

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I had the same issues before hunting public property. I thought they may have scented me or seen me walking in. Or they dont see a reason to come in. I dont hunt without a decoy anymore it makes a huge differance in the way they come in. Another thing to consider is if anyone else is huning them. They may have herd the calls before and have been shot at.

Dss21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    From why past experience you have been had if they are are barking at you. Its over at that point. I have never called a coyote in any closer from the point its starts barking at you. This has happened to me only on public land where I feel they have been educated. I would be interrested to see what others think.

joker762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Logansport
    If they bark, the jig is up! I've had them wind me, know something is up, and take off out to 200-300yards and sit and bark. But that's ok, I'm zero'd at 200 ;)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Once the snow gets on the ground something as simple as a rabbit pelt laid next to the speaker will help. I does not have to move.

If you are calling with human power you need to remain still. Sitting still is hard for people.

Also remember where the other side of the hill is at next time and have a second person keep that area in line of sight, field of fire.

You are seeing them so the calling is correct. Set still and try again.

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    162   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    i agree, also the calls you were using will probably be ineffective at that site from here on. they learn quick and don't forget. i also run calling sequences for 10 minutes and stop for 20 sitting very still and watching and listening.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    You did get busted. But, you could have tried to sneak up on them. This usually will get you a 200 yard shot.

Nightsniper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    they may have scented me. but if they did would they run off or stay about 50 yards out and bark and howl at me like they did.
    I am not sure i am just getting in to coyote hunting. that is why i am asking all the questions
    thanks for your advice[/QUOTE
    Your BUSTED!!!! all you can do is move on or go home.

Top Bottom