• ...and so much more!
  • MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Put down what ever caliber you are building on your form 1. You can change the caliber later, or even use a different upper with a different caliber once it is approved.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    ^^ This

Doesn't matter what caliber you shoot it in as long as it is able to be readily converted back to the registered caliber.

If you register it in 5.56 and sell all your 5.56 uppers because you like shooting 9mm better then it is no longer able (by you) to be readily converted back to 5.56. So in that case you are asked to inform the ATF that it is now a 9mm.

Same goes with OAL and barrel length.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    ^^ This

Doesn't matter what caliber you shoot it in as long as it is able to be readily converted back to the registered caliber.

If you register it in 5.56 and sell all your 5.56 uppers because you like shooting 9mm better then it is no longer able (by you) to be readily converted back to 5.56. So in that case you are asked to inform the ATF that it is now a 9mm.

Same goes with OAL and barrel length.

Emphasis on asked. There is no legal requirement, but it is suggested.

My AR is registered with an 11.5" 5.56 barrel. I also have a 10.2" 300 BLK upper. I interchange them at will.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    So once it is an SBR it can be registered as a 15" barrel down to a 5" barrel? It can be registered as a 5.56 but spend it's life as a .45?

Just seems too easy.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    So once it is an SBR it can be registered as a 15" barrel down to a 5" barrel? It can be registered as a 5.56 but spend it's life as a .45?

Just seems too easy.

Yes. Once you have approval to make a short barrel rifle, you can change it to whatever length and caliber you want. Again, as noted above, if you make a permanent change, ATF requests notification, but you're not required to do so. I wouldn't register it as something, having no intention to ever make it in that configuration, but you're under no legal obligation to keep it in the configuration that's on the form once approved and made.

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    I e-filed an SBR two weeks ago and one of the pull-down menu items for the caliber was "Multi" based upon the manufacture/brand. I thought that was somewhat interesting and went with it because it matched the reciver. It will be interesting to see if they kick it back.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I e-filed an SBR two weeks ago and one of the pull-down menu items for the caliber was "Multi" based upon the manufacture/brand. I thought that was somewhat interesting and went with it because it matched the reciver. It will be interesting to see if they kick it back.

Sorry bud, be prepared for error status. You can't "make" a multiple caliber SBR. It has to be registered in a certain configuration. I don't know why Multi is in the options, but it will not be approved.

in812

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I have one approved multi and have had 1 sent back I listed 9mm/5.56/300blk/22lr on it and it went through (both were old paper forms)

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I have one approved multi and have had 1 sent back I listed 9mm/5.56/300blk/22lr on it and it went through (both were old paper forms)
    How long ago. They stopped accepting multiple calibers a couple years ago.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Well, people can submit whatever they want. There's absolutely no advantage to putting "multi" or listing multiple calibers on the Form and you're likely, though not guaranteed to get denied or have to fix it. To my thinking, as long as approval takes, there's no reason to risk delay for something with NO upside.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009

There's a guy over on AR15.com that did the same thing you did, selecting "multi" in the caliber choice, and his forms just got disapproved. He will have to re-submit from scratch.

Please don't do it people.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    The explanation for why Multi is an option in the e-form system is that it saves everything users put down, even if it's wrong. Some dope put "multi" down as a caliber early on, and now it's an option for everyone, even though it's not correct, and will get your forms shot down.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    The explanation for why Multi is an option in the e-form system is that it saves everything users put down, even if it's wrong. Some dope put "multi" down as a caliber early on, and now it's an option for everyone, even though it's not correct, and will get your forms shot down.

Oh :wow: and of course no one can go in and fix that little problem, :facepalm:

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011

Well that sucks. Not surprised. Might work out for the best though because I'm moving here soon anyway and Grant may need to re-do my paperwork anyhow. I was hoping o push this threw before the June/july time-frame but it doesn't look like that will work out now. I guess I'll just have to be happy with my .300 SBR upper which I did A VERY LONG TIME AGO (Like early June) once it finally get approved.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom