• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • triggerhammer

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Sep 29, 2023
    Michigan City
    Looking for well informed opinions regarding Byrna pistols (esp. LE model) in terms of quality, reliability, accuracy, etc. Thanks in advance. To further clarify, I’m seeking informed comments specifically about this particular device. I’m not interested in generalities, bloviation, or other responses regarding the limitations, drawbacks, etc., of non-lethal weapons.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Oct 3, 2012
    I find the whole concept of questionable utility and would not trust my life or well-being to such a device. Note policies for police departments pretty universally recommend lethal cover when deploying any sort of less lethal launcher. The reason is simply the very high failure rate for gaining compliance in dedicated individuals. You may put to flight some folks who didn't really care to be there that much to begin with, but someone who's serious about doing harm to you or others, it's a temporary distraction more than anything.

What, exactly, do you see the use case for this being for you or whoever you're shopping for?

Last edited:

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    Was in a "Less Lethal Force" class last month, one of the attendees brought one of these to show and shoot. Had several jams in twenty shots. Looks like a large caliber pistol so if you pull it out everyone will think you have a real gun, not an air pistol that shoots pepper balls / rubber balls. At twenty feet a rubber ball almost goes through three layers of corrugated cardboard so it will get someone's attention when hit, probably not in a good way. I think the magazines held about seven to eight balls. You give up some range, but I think pepper spray would be a better option. No one will think you have a gun and more reliable.

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    just my opinion. and I am not in law enforcement, so my amount of contact with thugs is hopefully minimal, when SHTF and it is so bad that I pull a weapon I will probably be wishing for more lethal, not less

gassprint1

Master
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Those were made for police for riots and such applications. About tge first time you pull 1 on someone, 1 of 2 things will happen...person gets hit with a non lethal round isn't going to want hit again OR a person is guna get hit, pissed off and your a dead man. So, do you really want that 50/50 chance to play with a "toy" gun against your life or the real thing?. Just saying, cause I'd rather keep the paintball guns on the game field where they belong. My oldest daughter thought it would be a good idea to buy a glock BB gun just as you describe. Once i found out, i gave her crap about what she was thinking and made her return it(Amazon). The following week i went with her and she got a Taurus G3C. This was over 1.5 years ago.

triggerhammer

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Sep 29, 2023
    Michigan City
    Was in a "Less Lethal Force" class last month, one of the attendees brought one of these to show and shoot. Had several jams in twenty shots. Looks like a large caliber pistol so if you pull it out everyone will think you have a real gun, not an air pistol that shoots pepper balls / rubber balls. At twenty feet a rubber ball almost goes through three layers of corrugated cardboard so it will get someone's attention when hit, probably not in a good way. I think the magazines held about seven to eight balls. You give up some range, but I think pepper spray would be a better option. No one will think you have a gun and more reliable.
    Thanks for your feedback about the Byrna product.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    If I need "less lethal" I'll just beat the hell outta someone...

Screenshot (1541).png

or at least try to.
    These days, that aught to be abought as "less lethal" as it can get... lol.

If I have to defend my life so much, that I have to rely on the use of a weapon...
    I'm gonna want the deadliest one I can get my hands on at the time.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I am 67 years old, blind in one eye, and have heart problems. If my chosen first option to leave the area is disallowed, I will feel no remorse in using the only option I have left. I simply cannot comprehend any circumstances where my body, and/or my life are being actively threatened where I would want anything 'less than lethal' force. I'm just not that nice.

rugertoter

Master
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    you hit someone in the head with a can of bear spray, they'll damn well know about it. Even the small cans.
    Couple years ago, wife and I did a self defense class, and we both volunteered to take a one second shot from just standard pepper spray...yeah, it works.

I hadn't been that messed up since having to do gas chamber qualifications in the Marines. :runaway:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Couple years ago, wife and I did a self defense class, and we both volunteered to take a one second shot from just standard pepper spray...yeah, it works.

I hadn't been that messed up since having to do gas chamber qualifications in the Marines. :runaway:

When we got pepper sprayed in class, all that participated ran a 50 yard obstacle course, doing various short tasks. After 1 1/2-2 minutes, it was painful and couldn't readily keep eyes open. No one was completely incapacitated though.

Getting pepper sprayed certainly wasn't fun, but it did show that you could power through it. I'm no fighter, but if I was attacked with pepper spray, I would treat the attacker like the threat they are.

:boxing:

Top Bottom