Buying some land - what animal for clearing brush?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Hey folks,
    I found my piece of earth I'm going to pick up and have a big project of clearing land ahead of me. It occurred to me I could get started on the trees and probably have some critters going to town on the brush and goats came to mind first. I've also met a woman who raised scottish highland cattle and said they eat scrub like goats. Have any of you done this? Any particular critter recommendations?

Tim

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Goats eat weeds sheep eat grass, mules smash and eat most everything. Watch out for goats for they will also eat lit cigarettes out from between your fingers, rubber door seal off of your car, mostly they seem to go after everything you don't want them too!!! Been there..

starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    Rotate goats if you want ant brush left at all. Not only will they clear/clean up all the land they are the leanest meat available. So 2 birds with 1 stone, only problem they are extremely difficult to keep in a fence. Good luck & congratulations.

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    I had about 30 boer goats.. Nice creatures but hated them. Everytime I looked around I was herding them with my four wheeler. If there is a hole they will find it. My Texas Long Horns eat far more down then my goats ever did. A fence and one strand of hot wire on top has kept them in. The guy down the road from me has the Scottish Highlanders and his areas are pretty clean. Goats are too parasitic, The highlanders and long horns do better in the winter also. IMHO. I didnt have time to deal with there health issues and also being around when they gave birth in the DEC JAN. I wanted self sufficent animals and the Long Horns and Highlanders fit that bill. So depends how much time you want to spend with your new found animals. If you have time Goats are decent investment. Mexicans and Muslems and Africans will be looking you up if you develope a net work :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    If you want to utterly clear the place and turn the soil a bit, pigs will eat a LOT of stuff and kill plants by digging them up. They don't seem to much care for tall roughage or bushes unless you make them survive on it. Just give 'em some shade from the summer heat and shelter from winter wind and mud for a wallow. Plus, hey, there's bacon!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Rotate goats if you want ant brush left at all. Not only will they clear/clean up all the land they are the leanest meat available. So 2 birds with 1 stone, only problem they are extremely difficult to keep in a fence. Good luck & congratulations.

If you want to utterly clear the place and turn the soil a bit, pigs will eat a LOT of stuff and kill plants by digging them up. They don't seem to much care for tall roughage or bushes unless you make them survive on it. Just give 'em some shade from the summer heat and shelter from winter wind and mud for a wallow. Plus, hey, there's bacon!

Goats & pigs...

Also happen to be two of the most difficult animals to keep contained.

You'll spend more on fencing and tending that fence than if you just go in and clear the brush yourself!

-J-

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I vote for a steer as well. It'll trample what it doesn't eat, and they're pretty docile. Just need water and shade in the summer. Butcher it before the winter so you don't have to buy hay.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    If you're gonna be on station daily a round section of woven wire fence and a half dozen steel posts is mobile and concentrates the goat's attn where you want it. Clean fresh water is a must, daily. You can also use a screw in stake and a cable and a collar to keep the goat in the area you want eaten.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    If you're gonna be on station daily a round section of woven wire fence and a half dozen steel posts is mobile and concentrates the goat's attn where you want it. Clean fresh water is a must, daily. You can also use a screw in stake and a cable and a collar to keep the goat in the area you want eaten.

Good advice!! Just make sure you tie up the goat with something it can't eat.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I do have access to mechanical equipment but I was looking for something that I can eat and turn into leather and knife handles when the job's done and a case uniloader doesn't taste too good.

Top Bottom