• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I have used Layaway before a couple times. I don't think it hurts anyone. Its probably best to buy one outright...but with most local shops you don't know if they're going to have 'that gun' when the money comes up.

Regardless...do what you want but I wouldn't do it at a fly-by-night shop.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I do lay-away all the time, I dont want to spend a large amount at once incase an emergency arises, but every shop I know of with a lay away plan requires 20% down and paid off in 90 daya with no interest

Sport n garden requires 20% non refundable and the remandier is refundable if needed, they usually charge $20 over the tag price to do so, used firearms are to be paid in 60 days and new in 90 days. They have even been allowing ar 15's and m14's in layaway as of lately.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Get an envelope. Put each layaway payment into said envelope. In 90 days, go pay cash.

I would not do layaway ever on principle (if you can't afford it don't buy it) but I DEFINITELY wouldn't do it in this climate.

Too many things can go wrong, mainly, they sell it to someone with cash in hand and they tell you to take a hike...

I have never heard of this happening.

Lay away doesnt mean you dont have the money, it justs means you are making payments, just like you would with a home or car.

And you are correct to many things can go wrong, however that is why I use lay away, so I can have extra cash in betweeb paymenta to deal witg emergencys,

In the end it is all about responsible budgeting.

Last edited:

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    I used layaway a few months ago at MC Sports in Bloomington. 25% down and 60 days to pay the balance. Had a bonus coming and the gun I wanted was on sale. Gave me the sale price and I went back 2 weeks later and picked it up. When I went to pick it up there stock had been heavily picked through and they had none of the gun I bought left. mC Sports has a restocking fee they charge if you change your mind.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I love lay-a-way. Ive purchased 3 guns recently on lay-a-way. It helped me get the gun I wanted but still make sure I had enough money in my account if extra expenses came up while I was on vacation. And most gun shops are different on lay-a-way terms. 30, 60, or 90 days. I know some will charge a extra small fee if you need to extend the amount of days on your law-a-way.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I've used a mix of layaway and buying outright. When something comes in and I want it but don't have the scratch, I'll drop 25% on it and pay it off in a month or so. My shop gets my business because he knows I appreciate him doing the layaway and because I appreciate him doing the layaway, he gets my business.

If you are worried about your shop selling your gun and then telling you to get bent, you are shopping at the wrong gun store! Layaway is about trust and a gentleman's agreement; if you feel either side won't keep up their end of the bargain, shop for a new gun shop.

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Every month, put a few dollars in an envelope and tuck it away. When you find an item you want, you'll already have the money saved up. Otherwise, it's just another debt you've created for yourself.

Well said..

I by no means intend to slam anybody, but, if you can't afford to pay, then you don't need to play.
    Set a little money back as you can, then make the purchase. It is not the last deal going, there will be others.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I was at fort liberty last weekend and thy actually had the gun I wanted in stock! I asked about lay-a-way because I didn't have enough cash one me, I was within $100, but I was told they are t doing it because stock is moving so fast! I hope they have one when I go back this Saturday!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Layaway depends on the store. The rules can be negotiated if both parties are interested. But you need it in writing what the rules are. And you need a receipt for each payment.
    They are a good idea when something comes up you have to have, and a great deal, but don't want to put it on the credit card.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Lay away doesnt mean you dont have the money, it justs means you are making payments, just like you would with a home or car.

Being able to "afford" the payments is NOT the same as being able to afford the item.

People have car payments because they don't want to be seen driving around in a car they can afford. I'm currently rocking a 1997 buick that you can hear from across town, but I have no car payments. When my car totally falls apart, I'll pay 2-3k cash for my next car, and run it into the ground.

Housing - ok, I'll give you that. Because if it wasn't a mortgage then you'd be paying rent.

Beyond those two actual needs you mentioned, a gun is a toy. As much as we like to believe and train like we need them, fact is, unless you're an officer you don't need a gun (like housing and transportation.)

If you don't have cash in hand you really shouldn't be buying. Layaway is just another form of credit and instant gratification that has driven this country into a mountain of debt.

Like Dave Ramsey says: "There's no such thing as an EASY payment" :twocents:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Beyond those two actual needs you mentioned, a gun is a toy. As much as we like to believe and train like we need them, fact is, unless you're an officer you don't need a gun (like housing and transportation.)

If you don't have cash in hand you really shouldn't be buying. Layaway is just another form of credit and instant gratification that has driven this country into a mountain of debt.

"unless you're an officer you don't need a gun "
    There are quite a few robbed/injured/dead people that may disagree with you.
    You might say that, chances are you won't need a gun. But chances are that today you won't need a first aid kit or fire extinguisher. Yet most people have several.

And as for "Layaway is just another form of credit and instant gratification that has driven this country into a mountain of debt", there has been debt since the beginning of time. I would say the problem might be too much.
    You accept debt for a house. Some people might need reliable transportation and have long distances to travel. And they might not want to chance it on a 2-3K $ car.

Both of your "instances" seem to be full of projecting your wants and needs onto others.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Being able to "afford" the payments is NOT the same as being able to afford the item.

People have car payments because they don't want to be seen driving around in a car they can afford. I'm currently rocking a 1997 buick that you can hear from across town, but I have no car payments. When my car totally falls apart, I'll pay 2-3k cash for my next car, and run it into the ground.

Housing - ok, I'll give you that. Because if it wasn't a mortgage then you'd be paying rent.

Like Dave Ramsey says: "There's no such thing as an EASY payment" :twocents:

The only person who needs a gun is an officer? How do you know who needs a gun and who doesnt? How do you know whos life could be on the line and whos is not? in AMERICA it doesnt really matter, I dont need to use an excuse like "need" if I want something or what payment option to use to get it because thankfully we live in a free country that allows us to do so, I just recently paid off a saiga I wanted, not because I needed it, but because this is america and I felt like owning one.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I love lay-a-way! 20% down, 90 days to pay off. Thus far folks/companies have been great. I'm not poor, and I don't think it's for the poor either. With kids in college, $ is like water, it just runs out. Funny thing my mom would do it, yeah back then $$ was very tight, so it was the only way to afford stuff. I do it, and it helps get what I want with very little riffs. Haha!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Thank goodness nobody's house ever lost its value ............

Cars and even housing, can be seen as toys depending on what you bought and how much you paid for it.

Guns?

I like older stuff no longer in production. If one I want shows up at my LGS............hell yeah I'm putting it in layaway.

Working weekends, some neat old guns were deemed not worth it ;)

Last edited:

tds727272

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Northern IN
    Had a friend that laid guns away all the time. That was several years ago and the shop is nk longer in business. He an I both spent a lot of money there.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well said..

I by no means intend to slam anybody, but, if you can't afford to pay, then you don't need to play.
    Set a little money back as you can, then make the purchase. It is not the last deal going, there will be others.
    I understand this reasoning, and it works when it comes to new guns that can be ordered or reasonably expected to be in stock at any time. However, where layaway has benefited me has been on used or unusual guns that might not be there tomorrow, let alone in a couple of weeks when I plan on paying them off. In that case, I think layaway is a good thing. In general layaway is good, assuming there is no additional cost incurred. It's the same as "90 days same as cash". It's not like putting the purchase on a credit card and carrying a balance and paying interest on that purchase.

brute69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Layaway gives people who can't budget a way to buy high end weapons, I might have used it once or twice......

djkbmwguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    I asked an LD last week if they had layaway as I liked a gun they had. They said they did not do layaway. So no gun bought. I have since bought some ammo and a mag from them but will probably look else where for guns. I am not an impulse buyer and could pay outright but like to keep plenty in the bank. It was more a preference than an need to put it on layaway. So when I do have enough set a side for another gun I will check out the classified and other gun stores perhaps I will find the same gun or another one I like even more.

Top Bottom