• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Ive never done it. but are there people out there who reload and sell there reloads. How can you tell if there loads are trustworthy?

Maybe I should get into reloading myself lol

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Yes, there are people who are able to reload and sell their reloads with the proper BATFE paperwork and permit. I'm not exactly sure who/if anyone on INGO does do reloads for sale, but if you are seriously considering getting into reloading, I would encourage that. As for the reliability of the pressures and the ammo that someone reloaded, that comes down to how you judge the character of the person is all I could really say and whether you trust them. I do a lot of reloading myself, and I love all of it. You could always pop into the reload forum, or do a little google-fu and see what you think.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you feel that someone is trustworthy enough then buying their reloads should not be an issue. That being said, I'm not a fan of buying other peoples reloads. I don't care to put my life in other peoples hands personally. If the loader was distracted or just plain lazy, you could have a very dangerous situation on your hands! There are a lot of people on here who have shot reloads for years and still have all 10 fingers (having less or chunks of face missing is the tell-tale sign of a "creative reloader") Reloading yourself can be a very rewarding and cost saving hobby, though the up front costs can be high depending on how fancy of a setup you want to have. I reload myself and I love the control I get out of making my own ammunition, knowing that the charges are weighed properly is a very nice feeling when you go to the range. I'm not sure if there is any way to "tell" if someone took care in perparing their reloads for sale. The only thing I can think of is to weigh each cartridge and if there are serious weight differences you probably wouldn't want to shoot them, but it's not like you can sit in the store and weigh each round! I guess it's all up to personal choice in the end and if you think the person you are buying from is trustworthy.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Don't buy just anyone's reloads. Many companies sell commercially produced reloads and I have not had any problems with them. Andrew at Profire (site supporter) is one you could trust.

Hotwired

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    I would be afraid of someone reload as per what redwing said, all it take is a little distraction to double a charge or under charge a case causing a problem on either end of the scale. I just started reloading myself and I tell you, its not complicated, as you can stay with the recipes listed in a reloading book. Just the distractions around the house can be frustrating, but it is very enjoyable to be able to make you own and have some time to yourself. Got a used lee turret press for a song with dies, free cabinet and top off of craigslist, so far the only thing I have bought was primers, powder and bullets and I have relaoded 200 .223 this weekend and the care and love I have put into them I trust them 100%, someone elses that is turning a profit, no way.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Don't buy just anyone's reloads. Many companies sell commercially produced reloads and I have not had any problems with them. Andrew at Profire (site supporter) is one you could trust.

Yes Andrew (Profire Arms) has his license to manufacture ammo and can be found here on INGO
    Profire Arms & Supply, Inc. - INGunOwners

I also know Chris (indiana Supply Depot) sells Precision Cartridge ammo and he can be found on INGO as well. He however is not the maker of the ammo like Andrew.
    Indiana Supply Depot - INGunOwners

And I thought there was another company in southern IN, maybe columbus or Seymour area? ACME ammo?

I would never buy or sell "somone's" home reloaded ammo. I would consider the above ammo's to be a factory ammo myself since they come packaged and licensed.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Reloading can be as much an art as it is a science. Anyone can reload ammunition, which is why it takes a license to actually sell it.

I'll happily shoot someone else's reloads if I trust that they know what they're doing. Having said that, you're welcome to come over and have a look at my reloading setup anytime. :)

Andrew

Last edited:

Hotwired

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Andrew, are you going to have another reloading class anytime soon? I would like to signup for the next class.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    There is a place in Peru that sells reload.. I can't think of the name right now, but I trust his stuff. He'll do custom jobs too if ya want. I've shot probably 300 rounds of .45acp from him with zero troubles, and another shooting buddy swears by him.

The name is BK something or another.. I'd have to go find a box to look at.

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    There is a place in Peru that sells reload.. I can't think of the name right now, but I trust his stuff. He'll do custom jobs too if ya want. I've shot probably 300 rounds of .45acp from him with zero troubles, and another shooting buddy swears by him.

The name is BK something or another.. I'd have to go find a box to look at.

Their name is BK bullet casting.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    If you are buying someones reloads, make sure they are a type 06 FFL. This is a piece of mind for me, knowing they are licensed by BATF and should be insured just in case something is wrong with their product. I personally have taken Andrews reloading class and would highly recommend it for anyone interested or considering getting into reloading.Andrew is a wealth of knowledge and will help anyway he can. I have also shot ammunition he has loaded for me with awesome results. I also have friends who have used his ammunition with very similar results.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Yes Andrew (Profire Arms) has his license to manufacture ammo and can be found here on INGO
    Profire Arms & Supply, Inc. - INGunOwners

I also know Chris (indiana Supply Depot) sells Precision Cartridge ammo and he can be found on INGO as well. He however is not the maker of the ammo like Andrew.
    Indiana Supply Depot - INGunOwners

And I thought there was another company in southern IN, maybe columbus or Seymour area? ACME ammo?

I would never buy or sell "somone's" home reloaded ammo. I would consider the above ammo's to be a factory ammo myself since they come packaged and licensed.

:+1: for Precision Cartridge. I went through a 1000rds of their ammo...

Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    Used to buy some home grown reloads from a dude that sold guns out of the front of his radiator shop in Columbus. His loads did seem a bit potent compared to box ammo, but in all it worked out well.

Top Bottom