• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    + Bersa Thunder 380s! Have one now, shot it a few times with ball/HPs no issues. Have had a number of them over the years, and not one issue with any. Use to carry as an Off Duty, qualified, and back up to my G19. I also have the 9rd extension mag w/ finger rest, and it is a cool thing.(like the shorter stock mag better, but both are dependable)
    The best double stack 380 that I owned previously was a Browning. Beretta also made a 13 rd gun. Traded both for others, and would gladly carry either one!
    Everyone should own one, great nightstand or car guns!

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I reload my .380 target ammo, use a 90 GR LRN over Universal Clays. For carry, I am currently using Hornady XTPs, but have been happy to use Gold Dots, and the Zombie version of CD. I would steer clear of the Winchester Silvertips ( not that you will find any), as in mu experience, they are VERY soft, and deform in the magazine from just carrying in the pocket.

I have seen, and do not disagree with some that believe a .380 has less than optimal penetration, but I feel that benefits of the premium hollow points outweigh the chance that they will not penetrate enough. I carry a .380 for self defense, not as a full size duty weapon, or to be my main weapon in jungle warfare setting. Its my "better than a sharp stick" gun, not my normal EDC...

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    I've been debating getting a S&W Bodyguard 380 just to have something to conceal no matter what I'm wearing. Is the 380 more of a last resort caliber? I've never owned one let alone held a .380 bullet.

I own the Bodyguard and while I love it's concealability, I truly dislike the gun itself. It's extremely picky with ammo, and with the lack of ammo nowadays, it's quite annoying. I constantly have FTF and FTE issues, despite having a secure grip. Finally, my right thumb always seems to hit the magazine release button. I think the gun is just a tad bit small for my hands. My girlfriend recently bought a Sig P238, which was a joy to shoot. The Bodyguard hurts the inside palm and thumb areas, but no such problems with the Sig. It also fired and ejected every time. I plan on getting rid of my Bodyguard and getting a Sig when my funds allow it.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I own the Bodyguard and while I love it's concealability, I truly dislike the gun itself. It's extremely picky with ammo, and with the lack of ammo nowadays, it's quite annoying. I constantly have FTF and FTE issues, despite having a secure grip. Finally, my right thumb always seems to hit the magazine release button. I think the gun is just a tad bit small for my hands. My girlfriend recently bought a Sig P238, which was a joy to shoot. The Bodyguard hurts the inside palm and thumb areas, but no such problems with the Sig. It also fired and ejected every time. I plan on getting rid of my Bodyguard and getting a Sig when my funds allow it.

There is a BG380, and an LCP in my safe, since my wife just HAD to be a little bit different than me when she picked out her .380 pocket gun. I had the LCP, and other than the blued finish not being very durable, its been a pretty decent little pocket pistol. I parkerized the slide to fix the finish issues I had, and put a Hogue hybrid grip on it to acomodate my larger than average hands a bit better, but it has never given me any troubles.

My wifes BG380 does have a laser, and it is kinda cool at first, but it also has a real set of sights, and a much more durable finish than the other pocket .380s I have seen. It hasnt given her the first issue with feeding, and its ran everything from my handloaded LRN ammo, Hornady XTPs and CD ammo, and even a few Buffalo Bore +Ps, just to see how they ran. nothing that we have fed either of these guns has given the first sign of not running 100%

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Gentlemen,

I'm buying a .380 just because I don't have one and have never had one...I have most of the other calibers so why not??? Anyway, what ammo recommendations do you guys and gals have. I am getting the Ruger LCP with Lasermax if that makes any difference. I will need practice and self defense ammo. I'm thinking I'm going to stash it in a backpack that goes with me from time to time.

I have a P3AT which is the same size and approx the same weight. Not fun to shoot but great for that quick carry. I carry mine while running or if I am wearing something that will not conceal a regular pistola very well.

One thing about the Ruger and the instruction manual.

The
    RUGER
    ®
    LCP
    ®
    pistols are compatible with standard factory ammunition
    loaded to U.S. Industry Standards, including hollow-point loads loaded in brass
    or aluminum cases. No 380 Auto ammunition manufactured in accordance with
    NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards is known to be beyond the design limits or
    known not to function in these pistols.
    Do not use “+P” ammunition.

P3AT states that you can use +P but not on a continuous basis. I practice with regular ball ammo but carry Corbon DPX and it shoots that fine.

The Bersa .380 is actually fun to shoot because of the weight.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    There is a BG380, and an LCP in my safe, since my wife just HAD to be a little bit different than me when she picked out her .380 pocket gun. I had the LCP, and other than the blued finish not being very durable, its been a pretty decent little pocket pistol. I parkerized the slide to fix the finish issues I had, and put a Hogue hybrid grip on it to acomodate my larger than average hands a bit better, but it has never given me any troubles.

My wifes BG380 does have a laser, and it is kinda cool at first, but it also has a real set of sights, and a much more durable finish than the other pocket .380s I have seen. It hasnt given her the first issue with feeding, and its ran everything from my handloaded LRN ammo, Hornady XTPs and CD ammo, and even a few Buffalo Bore +Ps, just to see how they ran. nothing that we have fed either of these guns has given the first sign of not running 100%

It's good to hear that both your 380's are functioning flawlessly! I have read many reviews on the Bodyguard and most people love theirs. Perhaps I just have a bummer of a gun, or maybe it's me. I did forget to mention in my earlier post that while at the range at Indy Trading Post, just a month or so after buying the BG, I had a live round get stuck in the ejection port area, to the point that I couldn't rack the slide. It was totally jammed in there. I was petrified that the slide would accidentally release and cause the weapon to fire. The guys at ITP were kind enough to get it out, and with great force I might add. I mailed back to S&W and they fixed it up right quick, but I never got an explanation as to why it might have done that. I have just never felt comfortable with it since then. I don't want to be in a life or death situation and not have it go boom, or worse, have another stovepipe-type issue.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Since there isnt really a standard for .380 +P, its kinda open-ended saying that it can handle it, even if on a limited basis. Ruger is saying no to +P as a CTA move, not because their product is inferior to Kel-Tec.

Honestly, neither of those pistols are all that fun to shoot, and adding +anything to the mix would only serve to make them less pleasant to shoot. If the standard .380 ammo available today isnt enough to satisfy someone, there are a number of 9mm handguns on the market today that are nearly as small, and offer more power than any +P .380 that I am aware of...

Top Bottom