• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Im breaking into reloading soon. I have been reading everything I possibly can, and I have a few manuals in the mail. I have talked to my uncle who used to reload, and my father who reloaded with my uncle some. Both are on board to help me where they can, if I need it. (and to make use of my equipment, of course)

My question is this: Should I buy my equipment now, or should I hold out for the 1500 at the end of October? I have never been to the 1500, so I dont really know if there is significant savings to be had, and if it is worth the wait. If I should be waiting, what things should I have on my 1500 list, and what items should I just purchase now?

For what it is worth, I am leaning towards the Hornady Lock 'n Load AP right now. I shoot a lot, and am confident in my desire to follow through with this hobby. I know the conventional wisdom is to start with a single stage, but I feel comfortable with my decision. I am going to pick up a Lee Classic Kit, so I can better understand the process and appreciate the steps.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    You can pick up what you need online cheaper than at the 1500 for most reloading items.
    The advantage there is avoiding hazmat. The couple dealers that seem to show up with reloading presses are all Lee.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Or you can check out some of the vendors on INGO that specialize on reloading gear. *wink, wink*

I order hazmat every two weeks, and can get any reloading gear that you might need.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Alright, good to know. I will just order stuff online, and keep my eyes open for materials at the 1500.
    Like has been said, I would purchase the HazMat items at the 1500 show. Powder+primers that is. I found that I do best if I walk the show before I buy. Have found $3-6 difference on primers at the show and $2-4 difference on powders. One vendor may have the best price on powders and higher priced primers??
    I know we hate to, but some good prices on press, dies, scales,+powder measures can also be had on E-bay.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Like has been said, I would purchase the HazMat items at the 1500 show. Powder+primers that is. I found that I do best if I walk the show before I buy. Have found $3-6 difference on primers at the show and $2-4 difference on powders. One vendor may have the best price on powders and higher priced primers??
    I know we hate to, but some good prices on press, dies, scales,+powder measures can also be had on E-bay.

I have a few items on my 1500 list that are non-reloading related, so I will be doing a walk around before I buy anything anyways. Always a good idea to shop around!

I am a seasoned eBay seller, so I dont know why that wasnt a first place for me to look.

rjstamp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Ther is sure to be a lot of deals at the 1500. I might take a few trade in pieces and try and make some deals.

Life Member

Marksman
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Goshen
    Plus one for eBay. I just started reloading this year. I purchased my Dillon Square Deal B and other required stuff there. Dillons No Bull warranty works.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Or you can check out some of the vendors on INGO that specialize on reloading gear. *wink, wink*

I order hazmat every two weeks, and can get any reloading gear that you might need.

Just picked up my hazmat free powder and primers from one of the vendors today. :D

Wait, it was YOU! :rockwoot:

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Don't overlook the Dillon 550B

I looked at it. I have two major reasons I like the Hornady; the major one being the ability to quickly swap calibers. The "Lock n Load" system seems simple and quick to switch, and that is something that seems to be handy. I intend on loading four calibers eventually, probably more. I want to accommodate that. Second is price. The Hornady is slightly cheaper, and there is the free bullets promotion.

wilbur352

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Valparaiso, IN
    There is a small gun shop in warsaw on 15 just south of 30 on the west side of the road that has some reloading stuff. The best I have seen in my area is one of the site sponsors( 21st century in bluffton) they have a very nice selection.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Thats probably
    Eagle Creek Shooting Supply Co

Granger Guns is near Elkhart as well as Lens Guns, both have reloading stuff.

I finally made it over to Granger Guns the other day and picked up some stuff. I tried to buy some at the South Bend show, but no one had powder. Bought some Wolf primers (the guy talked me into it, I was hesitant because I never buy ANYTHING Wolf. Should have gone with the feeling, they shoot in my Sub2k, but not in my new PT111 Pro).

I called Lens three times and never got an answer. Lens is in South Bend, which is easier for me to get to after work (I work in Plymouth). Getting to Granger Guns was crazy. Left work at 5, the GPS said it was going to take 57 minutes. I did it in 37 :D

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    There's always going to be the argument of single stage vs. progressive reloading, just like 45 vs. 9. One guy I know just decided to go all out and invested about three grand and got all top of the line stuff and he was happy with every cent that he spent. He reloads for every caliber that he owns and couldn't be happier.

So what I'm trying to say is it's your decision, if you see a good deal jump on it.

Top Bottom