• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Anyone actually been in a Fallout shelter or have a similar setup of their own? Anyone refer to there civilian dwelling as a bunker? Post pictures :D

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I've been in dozens, if not hundreds, of fallout shelters. It was part of a volunteer disaster response gig I worked on - we'd visit folks who requested us and check out their shelters and supplies.

They're neat, I'll give you that - there were more than a few times where I told folks that while the supplies from 1950 were neat and historical, they probably weren't edible anymore - but a lot of the ones that were improvised from old boiler rooms and things weren't so safe anymore. The area I was in had a lot of "retrofitted" fallout shelters, and many of them lost their ability to shelter decades ago..

I find it to be an interesting game now - as I drive, I look for the old CD signs that mark where fallout shelters are. There are more out there than you think!!

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    After attending a Nationa Weather Service SkyWarn spotter training and seing footage of the destructive force of tornados, I am more inspired to create some sort of a storm shelter that can double as a root cellar. Our house is bermed, but I would much rather have a compleatly underground shelter.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Wife's family had one in East Tennessee. My F-I-L is a retired nuclear engineer from Oak Ridge (part of the Trinity Project.) The area did a bumper business in fallout shelters at one time.

It seems like theirs had a tendency to flood, I'm told.

If attached to the house, can it be taxed as square footage?

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    If attached to the house, can it be taxed as square footage?

Now THAT'S a good question! I'll bet the answer is "yes", IF the assessor knows about it. Since it would be completely buried, and unless you told them about it, you might get by. I think it has to be finished for habitation too, though, to be taxed, doesn't it? Like a finished basement as compared to a unfinished one. I'd have to look or ask to be sure.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    Depending on what you want in your shelter, a pre-built, set in place one might be cheaper in the long run. Masonry/poured-in-place/pre-cast walls, excavation costs, foundations to support the walls, ceiling height/construction, completely buried-partially buried, etc., adds up pretty quick, especially if you want to make it livable for a while.

I'm looking into as well, but I want mine to be livable for a while as well as secure and accessible from the house without going outside. That's going to require some remodelling..

jerrysbad

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Kennedy Tank in Indy used to make fallout / storm shelters. We made them out of steel tanks 8' dia. X 16' long with a manhole sized entrance at ground level. water tight or proof. has fold down bunks on the walls. Grate floor. Pretty cool. prefabbed and truck delivered. bury it and cover it.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Kennedy Tank in Indy used to make fallout / storm shelters. We made them out of steel tanks 8' dia. X 16' long with a manhole sized entrance at ground level. water tight or proof. has fold down bunks on the walls. Grate floor. Pretty cool. prefabbed and truck delivered. bury it and cover it.

Nice :rockwoot: That would've made a cool clubhouse as a kid haha.

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    I like Burt off of Tremors. I would love to win the lottery as everyone else would and simply keep the same house I have now and just add some "additions" to it to keep it low key and unexpected. :D

1) Underground shelter with living quarters and also a divided sub safe room.

2) Tunnel and several ways to shelter (hidden room/door to shelter)

3) More ammo and guns than IN has.

4) Underground garage type shelter that could be accessed from shelter mentioned above and could retain 2 vehicles equiped with supplies (that could be driven out if need be)

5) Once again the funds to do it all.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO

I wonder how they kept the tank from bobbing to the surface like a cork, especially in Indiana with it's high water table. I know constructors who build filling stations have to worry about their tanks popping through pavement from the natural buoyancy of the empty tanks. They fill those tanks as quickly as they can for that reason. Swimming pools, too.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I wonder how they kept the tank from bobbing to the surface like a cork, especially in Indiana with it's high water table. I know constructors who build filling stations have to worry about their tanks popping through pavement from the natural buoyancy of the empty tanks. They fill those tanks as quickly as they can for that reason. Swimming pools, too.

What about some kind of filler layer :dunno:

swatdoc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Franklin
    I found this one very interesting! It was called "oneofakindhouse/fortress". Unfortunately the original site is down, but you can see a write up and photos at this blog site.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    I found this one very interesting! It was called "oneofakindhouse/fortress". Unfortunately the original site is down, but you can see a write up and photos at this blog site.

THAT was the one I was trying to find! I remember watching a show on TV about this. The man built it singlehandedly. It took him like 15 years of working every day to finish it. If I remember it's somewhere in the pacific northwest.

Greg

Top Bottom