• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redfireman1969

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    indpls
    can you believe they allow these bums to stand at every exit in indianapolis , most are not in need they just are playing on peoples sypathley , pass a the get on with it , does anybody know who to contact to help get this passed

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    On the whole, I don't think I'd vote for an ordinance that restricted people from standing on public property. What, exactly, is the problem you're trying to solve? Just don't give them your money if you don't want to.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    On the whole, I don't think I'd vote for an ordinance that restricted people from standing on public property. What, exactly, is the problem you're trying to solve? Just don't give them your money if you don't want to.

It's one of the early warning signs of a deteriorating community. Gang tagging, abandoned houses, empty storefronts, shopping carts in front yards.......
    Pretty soon, you'll think you're in Detroit.

redfireman1969

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    indpls
    i dont give them money but i think if something is not done about it is going to get out of hand and i for one hate to see this city look anymore ghetto ,i have no problem helping someone who needs some help but if you can stand on a corner 5 days a week , get a real JOB thats my opinion

Last edited:

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    why get a job when they are making more money just standing there and looking as pathetic as they can? its becoming the american way, if you dont want to work for something, just beg and expect the gov or others to bail you out

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    i dont give them money but i think if something is not done about it is going to get out of hand and i for one hate to see this city look anymore ghetto ,i have no problem helping someone who needs some help but if you can stand on a corner 5 days a week , get a real JOB thats my opinion

People are out looking for jobs every day and can't find one. What makes you think a bum could find one so easily?

I'm not saying there aren't scammers on the streets feeding on our sympathies, but I think we need to be careful about what/who we judge. That could be a veteran standing out there (many of them are). It could be someone's father... someone's son. Imagine, it could even be you out there some day.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    People, whether they own a home or not, are innocent until proven guilty. Public land is public land. They aren't committing by standing on a street corner. You can't outlaw breathing. Just because they creep you [and me] out doesn't make them criminals.

With unemployment climbing, people getting evicted from their homes, industries closing, taxes rising, everything getting more expensive... it is no surprise. In fact, I bet you haven't seen anything yet. Welcome to the Obama years.

More people are going to become homeless in the years to come. Its an unfortunate fact. Where will they be welcome? Where will they go?

There's a homeless guy that pushes a shopping cart and sorts through the dumpster in the adjacent parking lot to where I live. My girlfriend always says, "why don't the cops just pick him up?" And I have to respond "On what charge? He's just doing what homeless people do." Jail might seem like a nice place when you sleep in a gutter and eat trash.

The bottom line is, they are in an unfortunate situation, whether it is their fault or not. All you can do is vote for a guy who will actually create jobs instead of destroy them.

I don't like seeing strange people any more than you do. But we have to honor the Constitution and common sense. They aren't committing crimes by standing there. But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't watch out for them.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Jenny, veterans can be treated at the VA. Food, medicine and shelter can be provided for.

Yes, I understand that. However, there are veterans out there who didn't come back with all their wits about them. Remember Vietnam? Have you ever met any of the messed up men that came out of there? Some of them are down right loony-tunes (with all due respect) and don't have enough sense left about them to go to the VA. They don't comprehend. And unfortunately, the VA doesn't go out and find them. Have you ever met any of these men? I have. It's heartbreaking.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Jenny: Yes. Saddly, I have met a few of them. I've been going for various treatments at the Syracuse NY, VA, and here at the Indy VA.

I realize you cannot force anyone into treatment and the VA cannot go out and "round them up". But, I find it hard to feel sorry for someone that will not seek assistance from professionals, but would rather stand out in the rain & cold to beg for handouts.

P.S. I also worked for the Department of Social Services in NY for six years. Saw a lot of human suffering.. both self-induced and by circumstances beyond their control. Heartbreaking.... Yes.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Jenny: Yes. Saddly, I have met a few of them. I've been going for various treatments at the Syracuse NY, VA, and here at the Indy VA.

I realize you cannot force anyone into treatment and the VA cannot go out and "round them up". But, I find it hard to feel sorry for someone that will not seek assistance from professionals, but would rather stand out in the rain & cold to beg for handouts.

I can't claim to know all of their stories. I really think this has to be viewed on a case by case basis. But even more so, I think I'd rather reserve my opinions on this one.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Jenny: I am by no means an expert in this area. What the answer is, I don't know.
    It's just an opinion of mine and subject to change at the next encounter I have with these poor souls.

Top Bottom