• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Which would be a better option for loading 45acp? i like the titegroup for the fact that it has larger grains and may be less messy if theres a spill of some sort. From what i hear the bullseye is more of a actual powder. Is one better than the other? do they both feed through the powder measure good?

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I used Bullseye for decades, and it is, still, a great powder. However, a few years ago, I switched to TiteGroup mainly because it is a cleaner powder--not as dirty when shooting.

Hodgdon claims TiteGroup is not affected by its orientation in the case, when used in small quantities. Although I cannot vouch for that claim, I will take it at face value.

Both are great powders for semi-auto calibers and-or light target loads in other handgun calibers. Still, I am staying with TiteGroup.

Hope that helps a bit.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I used Bullseye for decades, and it is, still, a great powder. However, a few years ago, I switched to TiteGroup mainly because it is a cleaner powder--not as dirty when shooting.

Hodgdon claims TiteGroup is not affected by its orientation in the case, when used in small quantities. Although I cannot vouch for that claim, I will take it at face value.

Both are great powders for semi-auto calibers and-or light target loads in other handgun calibers. Still, I am staying with TiteGroup.

Hope that helps a bit.

It doesn't have any trouble feeding through the powder measure because of the size of the grains?

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    I've used titegroup for years loading my 45acp and haven't had any problems with it or getting stuck in my powder measure in any way. It does burn nice and clean.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    TG burns clean if you keep the pressure up. If you load mouse farts, it's very dirty. Since it is at the faster end of the burn rate chart, it should shoot softer than slower powders.

TG meters very well. It also runs very consistently over the chronograph.

The reason why I wouldn't use Bullseye at all is that my gunsmith has a blown 1911 frame that was caused by a double-charge of the stuff. Ugly.

N320 is cleaner, softer, and more consistent over the chronograph in my experience.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Which would be a better option for loading 45acp? i like the titegroup for the fact that it has larger grains and may be less messy if theres a spill of some sort. From what i hear the bullseye is more of a actual powder. Is one better than the other? do they both feed through the powder measure good?

I don't know what you mean by "more of an actual powder." Are you referring to the size of the grain? And all powder spills are messy, no matter what size or type of grain you're spilling.

Both powders will feed through powder measures just fine. Titegroup is a little sticky in my opinion and seem susceptible to static in colder weather, but since I'm not a big fan of Bullseye and haven't used it in many years, I'll still recommend the latter.

As for one being "better" than the other, there is no answer to this. It all depends on what you're trying to do with your loads. Different powders perform in different ways under different circumstances, lots of variables. Barrel length, caliber, load type, case size, velocity required, primer type and even temperature outside can affect your loads.

Specifically - what kind of load are you trying to develop?

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I don't know what you mean by "more of an actual powder." Are you referring to the size of the grain? And all powder spills are messy, no matter what size or type of grain you're spilling.

Both powders will feed through powder measures just fine. Titegroup is a little sticky in my opinion and seem susceptible to static in colder weather, but since I'm not a big fan of Bullseye and haven't used it in many years, I'll still recommend the latter.

As for one being "better" than the other, there is no answer to this. It all depends on what you're trying to do with your loads. Different powders perform in different ways under different circumstances, lots of variables. Barrel length, caliber, load type, case size, velocity required, primer type and even temperature outside can affect your loads.

Specifically - what kind of load are you trying to develop?

well i'm just getting into this and i'm about to order 1K 230g RN lead bullets, 1 pound of titegroup and 1K wolf large pistol primers. I just want a regular target load just as if i were to buy a box of federal 230g RN off the shelf. I'm not trying to do anything specific. i just want to load ammo so i can shoot more. i'll be shooting this out of a 3.3 in barrel.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    well i'm just getting into this and i'm about to order 1K 230g RN lead bullets, 1 pound of titegroup and 1K wolf large pistol primers. I just want a regular target load just as if i were to buy a box of federal 230g RN off the shelf. I'm not trying to do anything specific. i just want to load ammo so i can shoot more. i'll be shooting this out of a 3.3 in barrel.

First off any ammo you load at home will be far superior to anything you pick up off the shelf at wally world or siimilar discount stores or product lines.

I use bullseye and the groups are far tighter than anything I can buy off a regular shelf.

That said, it's a dirty powder. Lots of residue, the same or worse than wolf.

I've been wanting to explore a different type of powder for my 45's for that reason... at the same time, I have a load that works wonderfully so I'm not in a hurry.

You won't go wrong with bullseye for .45acp. That said, I've got zero experience with any other powder, so it's not worth much beyond an endorse vs comparison.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'll have to echo what others have said about Bullseye. I used it for a long while and it was a great powder but very dirty. I found a good deal on some Unique and started using that for my .45 ACP and my 9mm. I liked the Unique better and it was a bit cleaner than the Bullseye. Haven't used Titegroup but also haven't heard of anyone NOT liking it.

My current load for target/IDPA is 200 grain jacketed flat point from Montana Gold Bullet over 6.2/6.4 grains of Unique with either CCI or Winchester primers. Overall case length of 1.200-ish and it'd ran like a top for over 1,500 rounds.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Bullsey and unique have always been like dragging your gun through mud I refuse to use them

As BW says Titegroup fouls unless pushed a bit,

I am a w231 fan, its cleaner than most of the old powders but here lately I've moved to WST and it meters great, and is very similar to 231 in loading and as clean as it gets.

for my 45 Revolver I had to mess with several powder to get it to shoot well but when I cam across Vit N310 the gun came into it and stays clean for thousands of rounds and my loads are LIGHT with 200 swc they wont' come close to cycling any auto but they cut holes in paper and in the HHRP Bullseye matches they put me right up there in the top scores.

But in General if I had to make a blanket statement for 1911 45's I would go with WST and 200 swc

There is also a new powder out there called Autocomp it is specifically made for compensated guns and I found out that it is not pleasent in regular pistols, it produces much more gas and boom, For those with compensators the gas and boom are not an issue because the gas gets used and comps are always loud.

I also have been trying to stay with powders that I think I can always get a steady stream of powder and I have found that w231 was available even in the Obomo gun glut of 2009 (don't think were out of the woods yet boys)

Good shooting

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    So can anyone reccomend a load with the supplies i'm getting? 230g RN lead bullet, titegroup powder. I just want a regular plinking load.

I will be shooting it out of a taurus pt145 .45 with a 3.3" barrel

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    INGO is a great source for reloading information and got me started.

But I suggest you getting AT LEAST ONE reloading manual. When the internet is down, the book will be there for you.

The book will show bullet weight and type and then list several different powders for each type.

Also try this link
    >>>http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp<<<
    Lots of good information and fun to play around with.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    INGO is a great source for reloading information and got me started.

But I suggest you getting AT LEAST ONE reloading manual. When the internet is down, the book will be there for you.

The book will show bullet weight and type and then list several different powders for each type.

Also try this link
    >>>http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp<<<
    Lots of good information and fun to play around with.

Good link! thanks

ANeat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    SW Ohio
    Yes the starting load of Titegroup is a fine load for 230's (4.0gr)

As for between TG and Bullseye, I personally use Bullseye and love it. I go over 1000 rounds between cleanings with zero malfunctions in a Bullseye pistol.

There are a lot of things I look for in powder selection, accuracy, recoil feel, metering. Bullseye does what I want.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Yes the starting load of Titegroup is a fine load for 230's (4.0gr)

As for between TG and Bullseye, I personally use Bullseye and love it. I go over 1000 rounds between cleanings with zero malfunctions in a Bullseye pistol.

There are a lot of things I look for in powder selection, accuracy, recoil feel, metering. Bullseye does what I want.

as long as i stay between 4.0-4.8 i will be fine with a 230g LRN?

What would the differences be between 4.0 and 4.8? Felt recoil and velocity? Does accuracy change?

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    as long as i stay between 4.0-4.8 i will be fine with a 230g LRN?

What would the differences be between 4.0 and 4.8? Felt recoil and velocity? Does accuracy change?

Ah... See those questions are ones you get to answer by trial and trial.

Start at the bottom and work your way up. Take notes and you'll find the one that you and your gun like. Lots of fun starting a new load.

ANeat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    SW Ohio

As you go up from min to max in a recommended range the pressure increases, velocity, and recoil increase accordingly.

Some calibers are a little more picky about a velocity sweet spot when accuracy is considered. 45acp is a little more forgiving

Lots of folks will recommend a starting load but like others have mentioned check and re-check load data. I would never trust one single source and myself I check several load manuals when I get into a caliber I have no experience in.
    A load manual or three is a sound investment

When you pull the trigger on those reloads its your tail on the line

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    As you go up from min to max in a recommended range the pressure increases, velocity, and recoil increase accordingly.

Some calibers are a little more picky about a velocity sweet spot when accuracy is considered. 45acp is a little more forgiving

Lots of folks will recommend a starting load but like others have mentioned check and re-check load data. I would never trust one single source and myself I check several load manuals when I get into a caliber I have no experience in.
    A load manual or three is a sound investment

When you pull the trigger on those reloads its your tail on the line

Ive got 2 manuals coming UPS should be here sometime next week. i got the ABS's of reloading and the speer reloading manual.....No. 14 i think

i was just going by the link on the hodgdons site.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    So can anyone reccomend a load with the supplies i'm getting?

Look at the manufacturer's websites for load data. You're jumping into this with both feet and your hair on fire. Please do it safely. Its difficult to post on this forum when you're missing fingers.

Top Bottom