• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BACKLASH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    ECI
    I had my LGS and FFL check the stripped lower in as a "pistol" just for extra coverage but it isnt required. As long as the lower was never assembled as a rifle it is good to go for the pistol build. The uppers are not the big of a deal from the manufacture. They are shipped to your door since they are technically not the rifle and only parts.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I had my LGS and FFL check the stripped lower in as a "pistol" just for extra coverage but it isnt required. As long as the lower was never assembled as a rifle it is good to go for the pistol build. The uppers are not the big of a deal from the manufacture. They are shipped to your door since they are technically not the rifle and only parts.

Note to everyone else: Don't expect your FFL to do this, as this is not the correct way to log a stripped receiver into your books or on the 4473. It should be marked as "Other."

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

Incorrect. As far as the saying "Once a rifle, always a rifle" goes, I've read that they have nixed that.

http://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

This is the ruling. If it starts as a pistol, and you configure it to a rifle, you can go back to a pistol. You cannot however by an AR rifle and reconfigure it to become a pistol. This becomes a "firearm made from a rifle," which I believe is technically an SBR.

Feel free to correct me where I am wrong, but that's from my reading and understanding of 2011-4.

Top Bottom