• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mancosman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    First Im sure Ill get a lot of "Just search it" but Im really looking to just find some info from people who KNOW how it works.

I will be building my 3rd AR soon and decided I would like to go the SBR route. I have the receiver but have not purchased any other part yet. What are my steps before filing the Form (1 I believe) I saw that it needs engraving but wasnt sure if that is before or after approval.

Please if you could just give me the short version of the step-by-step from where to go from here and in what order.

Thank you for your help and please do not post about searching, Im just looking for info specific to my situation.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    You need a barrel length, an overall length, and a serial number for your lower in order to file the form 1. That is your rate limiting step so focus on getting that done.

Engraving is after approval.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    I would build it as a pistol , make sure everything is gtg and reliable, have it ingraved then send the paper work off and enjoy it as a pistol untill paper work comes back. Then put a tube and stock on it. Thats how I did mine.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    1. Decide if you want create a trust or apply as an individual

2. Fill out Form 1 (Paper form as an individual, I'd recommend e-filing on the ATF website if you go the trust route)

3. Wait

4. Engrave Receiver

5. Wait

6. Collect all your parts

7. Wait

8. Once you receive your form, assemble your gun.

Note: 2 and 4 can be interchanged. This is the order I have done, but many people prefer to get the engraving done before they send off the form in case of a mistake made by the engraver. Personally I wasn't that concerned about it.

Your other option is to build the AR into a pistol while(or before) your form is pending. In this case you would use a pistol buffer tube to assemble your gun. Once your approved form comes back you can then attach a normal buffer tube and stock. This is the route I would recommend.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I don't see a reason why should wait to engrave if you know you will be approved. They MUST approve if you are legal to own. I'd build it as a pistol (so there can't be any question as to whether you had intent to put the upper on an existing lower), have the receiver engraved and send paperwork.

while having the complete upper and awaiting the stamp, it's obvious you intend to wait to place it on a lower, but I wouldn't risk it being creative intent. Or simply throw a pistol tube on an owned lower and call it a day while you wait.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    What exactly needs to be engraved? also where specifically?

Your name, city, and State. For an Ar, you would engrave the lower receiver. You can do it on any external place that won't be covered. Alot of people do the magwell, both of mine are up in the trigger guard area (where the trigger actually comes out of the lower).

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    If you build as a pistol first... make sure you do that the legal way too. Start with a receiver that has never been built as a rifle. Also you can get it engraved anytime, no law against engraving your property... just make sure it is engraved exactly as you put it on the form.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    What exactly needs to be engraved? also where specifically?

Your name, city, and state.

Joe Blow
    Gary, IN

It has to be a conspicuous location on the receiver. I have mine engraved on the right side above the hammer and trigger pins. The front of the magwell, side of the magwell, and on the bottom of the receiver where the trigger comes out are also popular spots.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    No. The reason for the engraving is that you are the manufacturer of the SBR. You're engraving where the firearm was made, not necessarily where it resides.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I don't see a reason why should wait to engrave if you know you will be approved. They MUST approve if you are legal to own. I'd build it as a pistol (so there can't be any question as to whether you had intent to put the upper on an existing lower), have the receiver engraved and send paperwork.

while having the complete upper and awaiting the stamp, it's obvious you intend to wait to place it on a lower, but I wouldn't risk it being creative intent. Or simply throw a pistol tube on an owned lower and call it a day while you wait.

They must approve the form, but it was my understanding that they don't always approve the name that gets engraved. Has anyone ever heard of an approved stamp but they made you change the name?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Only if what you put in box one doesn't match the name on the trust, or doesn't contain the word "trust."

XWARPATHX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2013
    NWI
    This thread actually answered alot of questions i had. What i wasnt sure about was how do I go about finding a lower to fit the upper? Do i look for a lower that is specific for a sbr upper? Or will a regular AR lower fit without to much trouble?
    This will be my first build and Im still unsure about some of the aspects. Any articles or sites would be a help.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    You can read the regulations yourself - 27 CFR 479.102 -

Just put that info in the google search and it will come up.

Basically what it says is that you must mark the firearm. The serial number must be on the receiver and all of the other info can be on the frame, receiver or the barrel. It cannot be obstructed or hidden. Since there is already info on the receiver like the serial and possibly the model and cal than all you need to do is mark the barrel with your name, city and state. You can mark the receiver if you want but if you ever sell it may drop the value a little.
    Do the search, read the regs from the source. Some of the info given in this thread is correct but incomplete, some is crap. If you read the actual regs you can sort out which is which.

Frank

BACKLASH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    ECI
    I just built a PSA pistol for this same route. All milspec uppers will fit all milspec lowers.... shop around there are some good deals. Palmetto State Armory has some great deals and products seem good but shipping and customer service is probably the worst i have ever seen. just my two cents.

Top Bottom