• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    ok, I have read this thread and I now believe the best precision cartridge would be a .50BMG case necked down .17. what do you guys think about this for shooting at 1+ mile ranges.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Yes, and that's a stupid point, because .308 doesn't have sufficient powder capacity to use a 240 grain bullet.

Why is comparing apples-to-apples case size velocity a "stupid point"?

What do you want to see, yeah a 300RUM pushing a 240gr SMK at 2800fps has better ballistics than a 7mm-08 pushing a 162gr A-Max at 2800fps?

If you put enough powder behind a 30cal bullet, YES you can get it up to a velocity sufficient to equal or best a lighter, same BC 7mm bullet in a smaller case.

That is until you put the same amount of powder behind the 7mm bullet that you've got behind the 30cal bullet, in which case the 7mm will win going away...again.

I'm not certain why one would benefit from shooting a 30cal magnum in order to match or slightly beat the ballistics of a 308-based 6/6.5/7mm. Sure it can be done...but why?!? Work smarter not harder and all that...

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Lots of great info hear, and off topic banter as well. I had the same original question as the OP. I will be seriously looking at a precision rifle as well. It will be .308 for the reason of not getting into a new caliber. I currently have 7 rifle caliber to keep ammo for, I don't care to introduce a new one to the group! I would like to hear some more opinions of savage vs 700 too, especially for the newbie!

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Psode27 said:
    I would like to hear some more opinions of savage vs 700 too, especially for the newbie!

Not unlike Ford v. Chevy, Coke v. Pepsi, American League vs. National League.

Savages tend to be less expensive than their Remington counterparts (not always!) and have a better reputation for out-of-the-box accuracy.

Savage's aftermarket lags the Remington 700, but it is filling in.

Upside to a Savage is you can convert from 223 to 338 Edge in about 20 minutes, at home with <$100 in tools, simply by changing barrels and bolt heads. To change barrels and/or calibers in a 700 can run you a couple hundred bucks or more in gunsmith fees.

jwatkins383

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    MD
    Recmmendation

1st and only recommendation!
    Go to Sniper Central.com
    The key that runs that site is a bonified sniper and has some build your own rifle combos! I have shot his stuff and am building one now. Also, he has reviews on alot of rifle and scopes and such! Would be useful for a builder or a guy that wants an honest opinion...The owner is a friend and he knows his stuff! Even if oyu don't get one of his you'll get some knowledge

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    1st and only recommendation!
    Go to Sniper Central.com
    The key that runs that site is a bonified sniper and has some build your own rifle combos! I have shot his stuff and am building one now. Also, he has reviews on alot of rifle and scopes and such! Would be useful for a builder or a guy that wants an honest opinion...The owner is a friend and he knows his stuff! Even if oyu don't get one of his you'll get some knowledge

See also:

SnipersHide.com

Top Bottom