• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    im 51, wife,45, two kids would be going too, girl 26, boy 20. 3 grandkids, 2 girls, 1 boy ages 11, 8 and 4. we don't have an official bug out place. question..... would a state owned property, like a forest, or a fish and wildlife area be a good place to set up? or would some random spot near a river be a better option? we hope to someday have a little land to call our own, however, things as they are, that may not happen in time. please give your thoughts. thanks in advance for all suggestions:dunno:.

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    Depends on the bug-reason in my opinion, there are many reasons to bug-out, and they all call for different places to go. What particular bug-out situation are you thinking?

With that said, one of my spots is a quarter mile down the road in a heavily wooded spot with several creeks and a pond. Just be aware, you probably wont be the only one going to this kind of spot.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    im 51, wife,45, two kids would be going too, girl 26, boy 20. 3 grandkids, 2 girls, 1 boy ages 11, 8 and 4. we don't have an official bug out place. question..... would a state owned property, like a forest, or a fish and wildlife area be a good place to set up? or would some random spot near a river be a better option? we hope to someday have a little land to call our own, however, things as they are, that may not happen in time. please give your thoughts. thanks in advance for all suggestions:dunno:.

If the main reason is things being too bad in/around cities, then it's a bad idea because many others will have the idea too. If I had no choice but to stay where I live and not bug out, I'd focus on home hardening and sustainment here. When SHTF there will be prepared individuals who can grind it out right in the middle of the s**t because they can stay low-key and are prepared. This is all my opinion of course.

The one situation I could see this being of benefit. If you lived near a major park or wildlife preserve (I'm thinking Daniel Boone National Forest or Yellowstone type of place) where you could get so far off of the beaten path that you might not ever be found, it could work. Down by White River or the Wabash 10 miles outside of town, not going to happen. Think of it as target locations of assets for the unprepared. Cities and towns first, suburbs second, rural areas third, water sources last. Those are the natural areas for people to migrate.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I would say your first move would be to start investing in camping gear. Plan on going to campgrounds on state property and start practicing your camping skills ASAP. See how well the kids and grand kids adapt to self sufficiency.:dunno:

Learn the ins and outs of state park camping and make like minded friends. There will be strength in numbers there that you wont have on a random river bank.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Respectfully, as one who lives rural you scare the crap out of me. Decent, well intentioned, city folks without a plan.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    When I was younger I camped out a lot in the Danial Boon National Forest. When I thought of bugging out I thought if something went wrong this would be the place to go. Well the problem with that is the the place sees over a 100000 people a year and every one of them has the same idea. Well I would say at least 80% because some people don't prep at all or even think about it.

As stated above if you are going to some place you don't know about you had better be in force because the locals might just run you off or kill you. They will only see you and yours as a burden.

You would be better off if you could find you a place in the country to buy. Spend your weekends there setting it up for you and yours to bug out to. There are several places around here that people use for weekend retreats. If things go bad in the city I know that they will be out here. Some of them grow gardens and tend them on the weekend. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Last edited:

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012

Respectfully, as one who lives rural you scare the crap out of me. Decent, well intentioned, city folks without a plan.

I think we need to give him credit for working on plan development, which sets him apart from the group that scares you.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think we need to give him credit for working on plan development, which sets him apart from the group that scares you.

Are you a city dweller too? ;)

Whatever it takes to avoid me having to tell good folks "Please move along, you can't stay here." Not to mention something much worse as they are helping themselves to the yield of my planning and labor to feed their starving children. That is what scares me.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I would say your first move would be to start investing in camping gear. Plan on going to campgrounds on state property and start practicing your camping skills ASAP. See how well the kids and grand kids adapt to self sufficiency.:dunno:

Learn the ins and outs of state park camping and make like minded friends. There will be strength in numbers there that you wont have on a random river bank.

Anything less than this and you are just a bunch of refugees and no way I would want you parked near my place under any circumstances. I really don't care what zip code you came from if I don't know you.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Seek out like minded people.Look for things like the meet and greet or preparedness training threads.I have seen a few mutual support group meetings posted on INGO.If you have skills or can offer support ahead of time you can likely find someone that would welcome you.Do you know anyone who lives in a rural area?It may be time to have a serious talk with them.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Seek out like minded people.Look for things like the meet and greet or preparedness training threads.I have seen a few mutual support group meetings posted on INGO.If you have skills or can offer support ahead of time you can likely find someone that would welcome you.Do you know anyone who lives in a rural area?It may be time to have a serious talk with them.

You beat me to it !
    +1

Try a MSG or look local for any place that does pepping classes like Indiana Self Defense. May be someplace local for ya ?

You like me and all the others here are doing what is best for their loved ones so don't take things to personal.
    Keep reading and learn some skills and perform them when you can. If all the adults took a separate task and really study it you all can teach each other threw dewing
    At the moment is a great time to go out and try to start a fire. go grab what ya got and give it a shot(Gas is cheating :D)

Good luck and good job for asking the question !!! there are no stupid questions just stupid answers. Unless you have ask the same question 5 times !!!

:twocents:

katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    first, I live in a small town near jasper. I would not be looking to take from others. but make no mistake about it, you come at me with the wrong intentions, and someone will not see the sun come up again. it may not be me either. but either way, I will do whatever I have to, to keep my loved ones safe. I would expect nothing less from you or anyone else for that matter. I have tried to make contact with like minded people who live in the country, most if not all are too paranoid to even give me a chance at meeting and discussing any post shtf plans. I can appreciate that. I am an air force vet, a maintenance man by trade, and I like to think I do have something to offer another group of people. but again, they don't know me, and therefore they are not willing to give me a chance. so lets all hope we don't meet in the sticks if something happens. there probably would be no clear winner either way.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    first, I live in a small town near jasper. I would not be looking to take from others. but make no mistake about it, you come at me with the wrong intentions, and someone will not see the sun come up again. it may not be me either. but either way, I will do whatever I have to, to keep my loved ones safe. I would expect nothing less from you or anyone else for that matter. I have tried to make contact with like minded people who live in the country, most if not all are too paranoid to even give me a chance at meeting and discussing any post shtf plans. I can appreciate that. I am an air force vet, a maintenance man by trade, and I like to think I do have something to offer another group of people. but again, they don't know me, and therefore they are not willing to give me a chance. so lets all hope we don't meet in the sticks if something happens. there probably would be no clear winner either way.

You need a more solid plan than a random river bank in some forest that you will not be alone in.
    As mentioned already you need to look into an MSG and find like minded folks in your area. There is strength in numbers. Alone you will have near zero chance amongst the throngs that will be headed out your way.

It took us years of vetting/planning to come up with a solid plan and it is not chiseled in stone. Our core group is 3 adult males, 3 capable adult females and 4 grand kids. All of the adults have a wide variety of skill sets and are dead shots. If we bug out we will be a part of a larger group on a fair amount of land capable of supporting us. Again, this has taken many years to achieve.

No one is threatening you but you asked the question and these are the answers. To show up un-announced or invited could get you in some deep Poo with those who are greater in number.

Survival of the kids is our only goal so anyone not bringing something of value to the party will be turned away. Value could range from skills to goods or both.

My fear is having to turn away a starving child. Not sure how that would play out. Just not sure.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    first, I live in a small town near jasper...

I assume your first plan is to bug in unless ran off of your location by weather, earthquake or other natural event? Are you set to live off of your preps for months?

There appears to be a HUGE ammount of state and federal property in your area on top of a lot of waterways. There has to be a ton of campgrounds in these areas?

Last edited:

docapos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    mooresville area
    Another option if you are actually located in the heart of that town would be to have some materials on hand to "vandalize" your own home for bugging in and lowering attention(only relevant if things are becoming run down looking around you as well). Either way keep those random river banks in mind as they may be perfect places to cache supplies.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have my family to look out for and I'm not against staying in an urban environment when shtf. One simply needs the knowledge and practiced skills to do it. Same as bugging out to the woods. The difference is that everyone thinks going to the woods is the best idea but where are all of these people going to get the food they will need to survive? There is not enough wild game in Indiana to support everyone moving to the woods even if half of them knew how to secure wild game (which they don't). There is a lot of food that can be sourced in the cities.
    Becoming part of a group will almost be a requirement to survival. I have a good set of skills that I know will be needed and I will be happy to provide them and deploy them to save my family. I have planned myself and used every bit of training and knowledge I gained in the military and afterwards. And I still keep learning to give us the best shot.

Don't bet on the woods for long term. It might be fine for short term if you can stay hidden, and wait till a lot of people die off in the cities and then go back. But you could do the same in the city. My biggest worry in the city is spread of diseases people forgot still existed. I have seen it first hand in foreign countries.

Roadracer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bug in for me

As a graduate of AF SERE school, I have spent considerable time and effort mulling this over. I have come to the conclusion that my wife and I will bug in. Have worked to make our home as secure as possible. If destroyed by natural calamity, will make due living in the basement of the ruins. I just can not see a practical way for so many people to make it living in the woods. Especially those that have no practical experience doing so.

I enjoy kayaking at Lake Monroe. I wonder how many people in Monroe and Lawrence county think going to the lake is the answer to their problem. I suspect that lake will not be able to sustain all those who would choose to make that their bug out location.

People also forget that places like the Hoosier National Forest, are controlled by the government. I don't believe they will be the welcoming hosts that people think they will be.

Just one guys perspective.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I am an air force vet, a maintenance man by trade, and I like to think I do have something to offer another group of people.
    One way I have made many contacts outside of my normal circles is by moonlighting and part time jobs. Pick an area and one thing to network on and go to it.

Two weeks ago I walked in to a business, asked for the owner and asked him if he owned the house at the end of a certain road. Rumor was he did and i needed info on a house on that road. The guy was not the business owner, he was the owners son and he did not even know what road I was talking about. We soon determined his Dad in fact owned the house near the other end of the road I was talking about. we talked about his business, what I wanted and other stuff, he then referred me to some other folks and off I went. Each referral was about something related to their business but after speaking to each owner for awhile, I brought up what I needed.

2 hours later I had walked in to 5 different business, each as a referral from the last business and had meaningful conversations with 9 different "local" people. One of those business owners was half way expecting me. Two weeks earlier I had talked to one of his buddies, the owner of bar and resort, on my first venture into the area. This guy KNEW if I had my act together eventually I would end up at his friends door step so on Wednesday night when they play Texas Holdem at his bar he told all the guys about me. He gave him a heads up what I was looking for and that I was an OK guy. Two weeks later I walked in to Pete's office and the circle closed.

Now, when I am back there in two more weeks to talk business they already half ass know me.

Top Bottom